Winter wheels and tyres on today

Mine went on last week, the same mk2 TT wheels that Wardy has, freshly refurbed in gunmetal.

null_zpsf17fd5da.jpg

null_zpsde555fbf.jpg

Fitted with brand new Continental WinterContact TS830P in 225/45/17.

Look much better than the old A3 Sport alloys that I had before. The lower offset means they don't look like they are tucked right in the arches and gives the car a much better stance.

I know winter tyres are meant to be functional but part of the reason I bought a vRS was because it looked much better than the other Octavias (IMO)- I couldn't bear to be running around on steelies for 5 months!

Plus, I bought the wheels for £80 and sold the tyres that came with them for £76!! £200 for a refurb and they are good as new- Exactly £51 each wheel is probably not any dearer than steels to be honest!

Wardy- my wheels didn't come with Audi caps and the VW ones fitted are slightly too small. Do you have the Audi caps kicking about? Any chance you could let me know the part numbers so I can either order some new ones or at least order some blanks in the right size please? Unless of course you fancy parting with your Audi ones....;)

• Like 2

Oh no! Someone else had the same idea :D

Lower offset and 7.5J width were the main reasons I got them for mine actually. Especially as my summers are a lower offset still, it saved me having to tweak suspension alignment come wheel change. Plus easy cleaning was a bonus too :thumbup:

They look good against Race Blue actually, good work. And top choice of finish. I've just dropped mine off at the refurbers and the finish should look very similar :thumbup:

You got a good deal there! I did similar when I picked mine up - cost me more, but got a bit more for the tyres!

Sure I can get you part numbers, you're about an hour too late otherwise I could have got them when I grabbed the wheels! Will get them in the next couple of days if that's OK? I'll probably hang on to mine, just in case I sell them on at a point and they go back on an Audi :)

Cheers,
Steve

• Like 1

So got my first experience of winters on a skiff of snow. Tried a few dramatic maneuvers and a bit of harsh braking and the car didn't flinch. No ABS lights, nothing. Now they make sense. Bring on the heavy stuff (please!)

If your insurance company is listed here and you fit a set of winters approved by the manufacturer then you don't need to notify them or pay a premium...

https://www.abi.org.uk/~/media/Files/Documents/Publications/Public/Migrated/Motor/ABI%20guide%20to%20winter%20tyres%20The%20motor%20insurance%20commitment.ashx

• Like 2

This is becoming a conspiracy ;)

Sorry, 8J yes. Another reason for me going for them last year.

Went back and checked - my caps have the same part number as yours :thumbup:

• Like 2

They are becoming far too popular now!  :rofl:

We'll just need to console ourselves with the fact that we are at different points in the country and are never likely to see each others cars in the flesh!

Thanks very much to both of you for the part number info, there are a few pattern sets on eBay for under a tenner so I think I'll order some up.  If I don't like them with the Audi caps I'll order some blanks and Pastyboy stickers for next year.

Now come on, chop chop, I want to see your cars with them fitted!  :clap:

Well, they would if I could find a set for £80!!!!!!!!!

Any places worth looking apart from ebay?

I got lucky and found mine on gumtree.  Some muppet had bought them for his mk2 Golf and was annoyed 'cos they didn't fit!  :giggle:

They were in a right old state having been painted matt black with a rattle can but that didn't bother me as I knew I wanted them refurbed grey anyway.

Most sets I could see were around the £300 mark and in really good nick- I kind of grudged spending that money knowing I didn't want to leave them silver so I was glad to find a scabby set (with the added bonus of some tyres with plenty of tread that I could flog on).

• Like 1

There's some delicious irony here Chris! Just tried the ones I ordered up over the summer, and they don't fit! Must be this issue you mentioned with requiring that inner metal ring, as the ones I've bought just have plastic lugs, that don't clip in properly.  :wall:

So have ordered the same ones as I found for you, see if I have better luck! So my winters are centre cap-less at the moment :)

Not a lot about...:-( what is the exact size of wheels ta?

Name: Trapez

PCD: 5 x 112

Offset: ET47

Width: 8J

Diameter: 17 EH2

Part Number: 8JG 601 025 C

Be quick, you have 15 hours!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111216005064?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_557wt_1255

• Like 1

Anyone heard of Matador winter tyres?

They are made by Continental, apparantley...

The name does ring a bell, as does the Conti 'sub-brand'.

Can't speak for how good they are though!

Barum is mentioned as a sub brand on Wikipedia...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continental_AG

Their truck tyre division also refers to Semperit, Uniroyal, Barum and Sime, but no mention of Matador...

http://www.diffferent.de/en/clients/brand-portfolio-development-of-the-multi-brand-strategy-for-continental-truck-tires/

Review here: http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Matador/

+

Found this:

About Matador Building great products using perfect detail

Over 80 years of tyre know-how
The Matador brand first emerged in 1905 initially working in rubber hoses and belts which the company still produces today. It was in 1925 though, when the company branched into tyre production, that things started to get exciting. As the former Czechoslovakia’s first tyre producers, Matador developed its products with local automotive brands such as SKODA in its early days.

about_pics.jpg

The brand is true to its roots with all Matador tyres made in Europe and its head office based in Puchov, Slovakia. Recently, the leading Slovak economic journal rated Matador as the top five most successful Slovak brands confirming the brand’s excellent reputation both at home and abroad.

Investment in the future
Today, Matador’s mission is to provide a wide range of affordable high quality products that have the minimum impact on the environment in which we live. High quality products come thanks to the company’s first-rate production standards. Matador was the first company in the Czech and Slovak Republic to meet the ISO 9001 standards in the development and production of passenger car tyres.

This leading position in quality management continues today. Matador’s company strategy is characterised not only by the high-class of the final product but also by high quality in the area of environmental protection. The basic philosophy of Matador is to provide continuous improvement of all its activities to work towards reducing environmental influences. Matador holds the certificate of the environmental management system in compliance with ISO 14001.

High quality products in a wide range
The Matador customer will find a selection of car, van and 4×4 products to suit most popular vehicles – with 13” to 20” rim sizes down to a 30 series profile and a width section up to 285. The range consistently performs well in comparative tyre tests, frequently noted for its wet weather performance.