Winter wheels and tyres on today

I actually live in Essex at the moment. But thanks for your concern. Last winter was just fine with Pirelli P Zero tyres with a less than sorted Peugeot 207 GTI and I'm sure this winter, with the vRS will be just fine with Continentals. However it is a bit shifty.

I drive 600 miles a week, have done since I started driving, so experience really isn't a factor. I'm very well versed in 90% of British road users dismal motorway etiquette, as well as using B roads in less than ideal conditions.

I honestly believe they have a place, but I'm quite happy to stay on mine and I believe in my own driving standards not to get tangled up. And if I do? It happens, I might not hit the guy in front, but I'm sure as hell the guy behind me will hit me.

I was simply posing the other side of the argument.

Surely tread and tyre condition is more important than a specific tyre. Which is true, otherwise it would be a legal requirement.

If it was Norway however, that would be a different kettle of fish and is a legal requirement.

Anyway, on with our lives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even the AA agree with me.

To be quite honest I always thought it was a fad that used to bang around modified car forums when people didn't want to get their 'chrome rims' shagged in winter.

Now the skodas

Oh and the insurance implications are a bit spurious too. You may want to invest in some 18" alternatives, Chris. I'm sure they're not manufacturers specification.

Edited by Bcc212

Even the AA agree with me.

To be quite honest I always thought it was a fad that used to bang around modified car forums when people didn't want to get their 'chrome rims' shagged in winter.

Now the skodas

Oh and the insurance implications are a bit spurious too. You may want to invest in some 18" alternatives, Chris. I'm sure they're not manufacturers specification.

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/ask-volkswagen/owners/winter-tyre-insurance

Got my winter tyres put on last weekend, o7plate Octy vRS Mk2 TSI,  Pirelli Sottozerro on 18in Zenith wheels as I can't be bothered fitting smaller wheels. Starting to think that would be a better idea. However, today (admittedly temp was almost 10degrees) road surface slightly damp got wheelspin, traction control lamp flashing in 1st/2nd and 3rd pulling off a set of lights and I wasn't really trying. I experienced this last year in lower temperatures , is this normal behaviour for winter tyres? Would have never got any wheelspin from the summer Continental contacts, can't help feeling that with the limited amount of snow we get that all season tyres would be a better option? What's everyone else's experiences when the air temp is above 4-5 degrees?

You can see this when temps are above 7deg C, in my experience with them. I find I have to adjust throttle input a little in 2nd sometimes, otherwise my Wintracs will spin up when summers wouldn't.

Not a problem per se, just a result of the different compound and slightly warmer temps than is optimum for winter rubber.

My winter tyres saved me from an accident last year when a Merc came sailing out of a side road in thick snow with the ABS working furiously. The look on the guys face was a picture as he braced for impact thinking I was going to have the same problem as him and T-bone him. The look changed to amazement as I calmly applied the brakes and pulled up well short without even kicking the ABS in. Then the look of relief when he stopped short of the dry stone wall opposite the side road he had emerged from. I don't think he appreciated the look of amusement on my face though :giggle:

Still, he got away with it but it does make you think. I'll stick to my winter tyres thanks.

no summer or winter tyre will stop me from skidding uncontrollably in the snow

That simply isn't true - you are seriously underestimating winter tyres there. Watch this video to get some idea of winter tyre performance in snow, and then on cold wet roads:

http://youtube.com/embed/elP_34ltdWI?html5=1&fs=1

You can argue about the cost, but to try to claim there is no difference in performance of winter tyres is absurd, especially on snow.

For me, this thread isn't for us to justify use of winter tyres. We've chosen to fit them, here's some pictures of them :)

If people have issue with the concept, or don't want to use them, that's absolutely fine - their call. I'd just ask that they don't post in this thread, asking what the point of them is!

• Like 1

Bcc212

I really don't know why you have to argue?

OK...Don't get them...but there really arnt any arguments for against having them..other than you cant afford them

You havent said that

All the other arguments are well researched and documented

Good luck

For me, this thread isn't for us to justify use of winter tyres. We've chosen to fit them, here's some pictures of them :)

If people have issue with the concept, or don't want to use them, that's absolutely fine - their call. I'd just ask that they don't post in this thread, asking what the point of them is!

Sorry, missed this above, I didn't mean to ignore it! The trouble is that when someone has so spectacularly missed the point of winter tyres it would be a shame to not at least try to nudge them in the right direction. If there were a sticky along the lines of 'Why do I need winter tyres' that could just be linked to at time like this it would be handy.

I'll post a picture of my winter wheels when I get chance to get the thread back on track ;)

Yes as always threads get terribly distorted as people make a point.

Inevitably people wade in with the big debate on winters or no winters on either side. Perc in Finland tells me that all winter tyres are better than summer tyres in winter no matter how they perform. not the point at all.

as I see it the point was whether it was the right time to move to winters? the discussion shows how hard it is to call this one in the UK. Yesterday I had some wheel spin as well so with hindsight I could have held off until next week at least rather that 10th November.

Although no one wants to stifle debate it doses seem the thread should be the forum of the winter tyre believes and practitioners to stick to the point.

I actually live in Essex at the moment. But thanks for your concern. Last winter was just fine with Pirelli P Zero tyres with a less than sorted Peugeot 207 GTI and I'm sure this winter, with the vRS will be just fine with Continentals. However it is a bit shifty.

I drive 600 miles a week, have done since I started driving, so experience really isn't a factor. I'm very well versed in 90% of British road users dismal motorway etiquette, as well as using B roads in less than ideal conditions.

I honestly believe they have a place, but I'm quite happy to stay on mine and I believe in my own driving standards not to get tangled up. And if I do? It happens, I might not hit the guy in front, but I'm sure as hell the guy behind me will hit me.

I was simply posing the other side of the argument.

Surely tread and tyre condition is more important than a specific tyre. Which is true, otherwise it would be a legal requirement.

If it was Norway however, that would be a different kettle of fish and is a legal requirement.

Anyway, on with our lives.

Yet another person who gives an opinion on winter tyres having never tried them. Good luck with your vrs in the snow as mine was terrible on continental summer tyres. Oh and nothing to do with driving experience either as I've completed iam course, off road driving and various skid control courses. Guess you'll be one of these people that have to drive at 10mph when it snows and then block the road when you get stuck. Look at the recent auto express test which showed a massive difference in braking performance. Doesn't matter how good a driver you are if you have to do an emergency stop and your tyres don't grip you are going to crash! Anyway everyone entitled to make their choice but given its the only thing that holds my car on the road I'll choose to swap tyres and hopefully keep my family safer.

• Like 3

My octavia is the 1st car ive had big issues with driving in snow etc so after issues the last 2 winters ive bought some 16" alloys fitted with winter tyres & im looking forward to trying them in the same places i had issues with,ive already noticed a improvement on the roads i drive down which have a lot of mud & at times standing water,hopefully its money well spent.Id put a picture up but i doubt you would want to see my filthy octavia on here!  :rofl:

Here is a pic of mine, hoping i won't get deleted as its of my new car but will include a pic of the old one in her winters also lol

Took when i test fitted and did loads of tyre research and finally settled on Nokian WR A3 tyres..

s

post-95435-0-86118300-1385809606_thumb.jpg

post-95435-0-28449300-1385809611_thumb.jpg

Edited by sly200sx
  • Like 3

Unlike others I have tried winter tyres, however I've not tried them on the vRS.

I've been a vRS owner for a few years and this will be my fifth winter driving one. I've had a range of "summer" tyres on the car over those years and I can honestly say I've only had one "brown trouser moment".

I've driven in snow, I've driven on ice, I've driven on the ice/snow/mud mix and simply put - I change my driving style accordingly.

I have ABS, ESP - doesn't mean I can drive around like a complete idiot.

Adjust driving style and no problems. Not going to stop or moan about anyone wanting to spend money on winter tyres, but this country did quite alright without them for a lot of years.

The majority of people still don't have them - and again these people are still doing OK.

If you feel a little more technology can help you keep the car on the road then go for it - obviously saves money on repair bills etc. But I'll just stick to sensible driving.

Unlike others I have tried winter tyres, however I've not tried them on the vRS.

I've been a vRS owner for a few years and this will be my fifth winter driving one. I've had a range of "summer" tyres on the car over those years and I can honestly say I've only had one "brown trouser moment".

I've driven in snow, I've driven on ice, I've driven on the ice/snow/mud mix and simply put - I change my driving style accordingly.

I have ABS, ESP - doesn't mean I can drive around like a complete idiot.

Adjust driving style and no problems. Not going to stop or moan about anyone wanting to spend money on winter tyres, but this country did quite alright without them for a lot of years.

The majority of people still don't have them - and again these people are still doing OK.

If you feel a little more technology can help you keep the car on the road then go for it - obviously saves money on repair bills etc. But I'll just stick to sensible driving.

I actually agree.

My dad drove around in a mini / Sunbeam in snow and never had problems of complaints.

I drove in snow when younger and never had 2nd thoughts about it.

But in those days i think my dad just got on with it!

And so did i.

But with the hype, more media coverage.

Me getting older hence less bold.

The more availability of winter tyres and

It has snowed more than in previous decades...

I just ordered my 1st winters ever...

Just my own thoughts ...

But cars and tyres are very different to say 20 years ago. I had several metros which were fine in the snow on skinny tyres with a tread pattern which look very similar to today's winter tyres. Compare modern "summer" tyres to ones your dad's Sunbeam.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

• Like 1