What tyres pressures are the ones that don't get it running?

Mine does it as well, 18 inch wheels, and has spare wheel and heavy rubber mat fitted as well. Rear suspension seems really noisy over bumps and I think its just multiple ripples that makes it worse. I thought it was rear shelf originally but more the suspension now.

Not happy at all as its very intrusive. I had a 1.8 Elegance hatch for two weeks prior and didn't notice it and it had 18 inch wheels too so what is the difference between models, the 'sport' shocks? Do the wagons and/or petrol hatches do it too?

Mines a regular Elegance combi, no sports suspension and it does it too. I'm running 17'' wheels. Don't know what the issue is, but i do know that it is VERY annoying and kinda ruining the overall impression of an otherwise nice car.

What tyres pressures are the ones that don't get it running?

Mine does it as well, 18 inch wheels, and has spare wheel and heavy rubber mat fitted as well. Rear suspension seems really noisy over bumps and I think its just multiple ripples that makes it worse. I thought it was rear shelf originally but more the suspension now.

Not happy at all as its very intrusive. I had a 1.8 Elegance hatch for two weeks prior and didn't notice it and it had 18 inch wheels too so what is the difference between models, the 'sport' shocks? Do the wagons and/or petrol hatches do it too?

I was one of the first on here to report this to Skoda C.S. After a couple of checks by my local dealer the noise was still evident. I have a standard 1.4Tsi with 205x55x16 wheels. I would hope that a vehicle recall will happen in the not too distant future if they keep getting issues logged with them.

Not sure Skoda will do a recall as it's not a safety issue & there will therefore be no legal requirement.

Maybe all disgruntled/affected owners organise a petition to present to Skoda UK to express our dissatisfaction with the problem & their responses to date?

Any suggestions as to how we can make them take notice/respond appreciated?

Well that's screwed my logic then too. Effects hatch, combi, and all different wheel sizes and types of suspension, so it is something generic to all Octavias that is causing it.

Boot linings or rear suspension struts creating air pressure movement or just linkages/springs are noisy?

Haven't got mine yet but keep reading on here about "booming" sound in Vrs mk3's. Noticed in this weeks Auto Express a letter complaining of this problem. SK UK reply was that its a carraturistic of the car as its a sporty model and should be expected or something along those lines. Go and have a read in WH Smiths or a Supermarket,that's how I found the story.

Haven't got mine yet but keep reading on here about "booming" sound in Vrs mk3's. Noticed in this weeks Auto Express a letter complaining of this problem. SK UK reply was that its a carraturistic of the car as its a sporty model and should be expected or something along those lines. Go and have a read in WH Smiths or a Supermarket,that's how I found the story.

As previous page of posts in this thread, that is #davehiggins07

Not sure Skoda will do a recall as it's not a safety issue & there will therefore be no legal requirement.

Maybe all disgruntled/affected owners organise a petition to present to Skoda UK to express our dissatisfaction with the problem & their responses to date?

Any suggestions as to how we can make them take notice/respond appreciated?

I notice you are not far from me. My car does not have the same issue, or I haven't noticed it at least. I do have other issues though (see my thread if you haven't already). Is it worth meeting up to compare cars / opinions etc?

Edited by Leonblue

Leonblue, I'm not sure if the small % of non happy would be enough to be honest, especially to warrant mags and tv crews??

I have to say over the last 25 years plus of driving, I have had loads of new cars from all makes and all, absolutely all, have had small niggles and issues at some time in their life with me.

Some of the issues have been very annoying noises, just like the ones being expressed on this thread and some have been damn right dangerous issues that have nearly caused accidents and I am talking about cars from BMW and Mercedes in this!

I have to say that my VRS has so far been faultless, however when a problem does arise, which I am sure at some point in it's life it will, I'm not sure threatening going to the press will make the manufacturer do anything more than they normally would.

Cars are made up of lots of moving parts, some day, one of those parts is going to play up.

One thing I would say though, the idea of meeting up with other owners and trying each others cars is a good one, I've done this before and managed to sort out horrible rattles I had on my MKV Gti with the help of other members sharing ideas on how to locate and resolve problems.

• Like 3

I agree that all cars have problems, its how the problems are dealt with that counts. It is also true that people that are happy with their cars (or other products) generally do not post on forums such as this. However I have also seen many cases where exposing common faults on TV programs such as Watchdog, has forced the manufacturer in question to react in a positive manner by issuing a recall or compensation etc. Whereas as far as individuals are concerned they just deny that the fault exists. My suggestion is simply that, it's up to others to discuss and decide if such a meeting would be worthwhile.

• Like 1

Been to the dealership now and went for a test dtive with one of the technicians. We drove over a "ripply"road surface and sure enough there was the resonating noise. The technician was unsure if it was a fault though as he had heard the same noise from other vehicles. We then drove back to the dealership and took a drive in another VRS hatchback. The only obvous difference from mines was it was a dsg box. Mines is manual. We drove the same route and to be honest I was hoping the vehicle would be silent however when we drove over the same section of road the noise was there. The technician was sympathetic but stated there was nothing he could do as both vehicles were the same. I informed him that my brothers vehicle did not make the noise, although I have not driven his. I accepted what he said but informed him that when SUK phoned me I would inform them that I was still not happy. I am not getting at the technician as his hands are a bit tied. SUK phoned today after having been updated by the dealership. I informed SUK that I was still not satisfied but the female said that as we had tested my vehicle against another and the results were the same, she could not help me any further. I told her about my brothers car not making the noise and that I would do a comparison with his vehicle and if i confirmed that his does not make the noise, I would be back in touch. It appears to me that there is an underlying resonating problem with these vehicles which Skoda are reluctant to acknowledge. It's s shame really because other than this problem it is a cracking car. Need to speak to my brother now.

Edited by frasreid

I'm not sure how comparing to one other car is a fair test really. That's like comparing a car with a dead engine against another car with a dead engine and saying that it is normal for it not to start... although obviously you have to draw the line somewhere, but n=2 is not a very good basis for a comparison.

• Like 1

Yes I know what you are saying, and I totally agree, but I can only go through the process and hope that somewhere along the line it will get noticed / rectified by Skoda. I will see what happens after I have driven my brothers. Thanks.

This might not help, but I test drove a 1.4 manual hatchback that did make the noise, but the 1.4 manual estate I bought does not. I have a full size spare wheel.

I have exactly the same problem In my Skoda. 1,6 tdi with DSG . At first it was only on the right side. Now it is on both sides. Earlier on this tread someone mentioned the shocks. I tend to agree on that. Will take it to the garage next week and have them testdrive the car.

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone confirm if this boom happens in both estate and hatch, or just the hatch.

Took out a hatch today on a test drive, the boom was bad enough to put me off the car. But I'm after an estate, so I'm hoping the acoustics in that are sufficiently different to stop the boom occurring...?

Can anyone confirm if this boom happens in both estate and hatch, or just the hatch.

Took out a hatch today on a test drive, the boom was bad enough to put me off the car. But I'm after an estate, so I'm hoping the acoustics in that are sufficiently different to stop the boom occurring...?

I have the estate and the booming also present.

I've been reading this thread with interest, because my mk2 Octavia VRS also suffered from this boom in the cabin at certain speeds. Sounds like some faulty design element has carried forward to the new model.

As I have just commented on another thread, I too have the boom resonance when doing around 30mph on some road surfaces in my TDI hatchback. My wife hasn't noticed it yet so I imagine it could be partly down to your own receptiveness to certain frequencies.

I have the estate and the booming also present.

3.5k and I've not noticed anything in our combi 150 4x4, apart from the usual tyre roar on some rougher surfaces.

Optional full size steel spare, VBF and textile boot mat if that's of any significance.

Oh and raised ride height suspension forgot about that :giggle:

TP

vRS tdi Combi/maual/rubber mat on a '14' plate. Sorry people, 1000+ miles and definitely no boom, the only sound issue for me is wind noise from the driver's door over 70mph, apparently this can be tightened. Any 'boom' sufferers in Nottm you're welcome to come over and listen to compare? :hi:

As requested previously, can someone please post up a sound clip of this noise, if it's that bad it will record fine through a mobile phone. We can then compare this noise across our cars.

I have to say that I get road noise and as others have posted, the majority of time it is very well suppressed so can't complain too much with mine as it's better than some other cars I've owned.

I think I may have posted when this thread started but:

My car: elegance, diesel, hatch, no spare wheel and boot mat. Real big problem with the booming noise.

Hire car: se, diesel, estate / combi. It did have a Spare wheel, no boot mat. No booming noise at all.

Same roads, 5000 miles on my car and 2000 miles on the hire car.

Hope this helps narrow it down.