Hi frasreid,

I've got an open case with Skoda customer services but to no avail!

My local dealer acknowledges the noise but cannot find a fix either.

The more people complain, the more will get done, so please ask them to open a case for yourself.

Incidentally, my local dealer supplied me an Elegance courtesy car which did exactly the same.

Seems Skoda are just ignoring the issue & hoping it goes away - not up their billed standards!

Cheers

Dave

Hi.

I received a phone call today from Skoda UK stating that they have taken on board the details of my complaint, and opened a case.

I have to book the vehicle into a dealer and then see what the outcome of that is.

Vehicle booked in on Tuesday 01/04/14.

Hi.

I received a phone call today from Skoda UK stating that they have taken on board the details of my complaint, and opened a case.

I have to book the vehicle into a dealer and then see what the outcome of that is.

Vehicle booked in on Tuesday 01/04/14.

Is this an April Fool? :rofl:

Mine hasn't been doing this until this week.

Coincidentally, the fuel flap used to pop open every time you closed the boot hard. Dealer tracked this down to a build up of pressure as the boot was closed. Something to do with the vents behind the bumper not letting the pressure out. They did something with the vents to stop the fuel flap popping open and now I've got the boom, especially when going over the raised lines approaching roundabouts or a rough road surface.

I noticed it for the first time on Friday. Just on one stretch of road. 40mph in 4 or 5th (1500rpm so 4th maybe?) The road is normally quite a smooth one so I was quite shocked. Everywhere else has been fine though - done just over 1000 miles.

Full boot - hatchback, no spare wheel, seats up, parcel shelf in position. Hoping its a one off, on newcastle roads, and the noise stays away from yorkshire roads

Hi. I undid the mounting screw but left the handle in position as it is partly under the door card. Sorry but it made no difference.

Incidently i have been to a dealership which did not go well. Going to a different dealer on Monday for a second opinion. This has been agreed with SUK.

Well it is official, according to this weeks Auto Express, p24, a Skoda spokeswoman has advised the booming noise is a standard feature of the vRS because it's "a high performing model" :rofl: I wonder how they would explain the fact it also affects some Elegance models!

Edited by Matt Pez

Hi Matt,

That's me in this weeks Auto Express - Skoda's response has been fairly insulting really!

Still, it seems commonplace from some companies these days to treat customers poorly once they have your money.

Still no further ahead after Auto Express's intervention

• Like 1

Hi guys. Does that mean that the VRS owners who do not have this booming noise in their vehicles have been short changed. They may have to go back to the dealer to have the "booming feature" added.

Do other manufacturers "performance vehicles" suffer from this ? I think not !

I have not read the article but it seems a strange statement to make when only some of the vehicles are doing it.

Weird, thankfully I've not noticed this issue on mine. Although like others I have the spare wheel and rubber mat fitted, maybe that's the difference.

Edited by Leonblue

Incidently i have been to a dealership which did not go well. Going to a different dealer on Monday for a second opinion. This has been agreed with SUK.

That response is disappointing/frustrating to hear, did they not accept there was an issue?

Cheers, Paul

No not particularly. They suggested tyre noise to start with which is ridiculous. Then stated that some of them do that but there is nothing they can do. Going to another dealer on monday. Incidentally I have the spare wheel and heavy Skods rubber mat fitted as well.

• Like 1

My Elegance does this too, so it's not just an vRS feature...i'm sensing that we will have to do all the troubleshooting and suggest a fix for it to be taken seriously but the dealers/Skoda 

A little google translate from the german forums, linked on site 2 of this thread, it seems a solution might involve a recall to replace the rear-axle:

Today I call on tongue.png receive. 

Skoda working on the solution between 18 and 22 weeks should they be announced. It could be the great solution, complete rear axle is replaced. It will be evaluated precisely the defect reports. Supposedly, the workshop manager has received this info last week at a seminar. Whether it's true? So let's wait and see.

A little google translate from the german forums, linked on site 2 of this thread, it seems a solution might involve a recall to replace the rear-axle:

Today I call on tongue.png receive. 

Skoda working on the solution between 18 and 22 weeks should they be announced. It could be the great solution, complete rear axle is replaced. It will be evaluated precisely the defect reports. Supposedly, the workshop manager has received this info last week at a seminar. Whether it's true? So let's wait and see.

I very much doubt anyone will know what Skoda's plans are before they announce it.  Also as it effect both both independent and beam rear axles that's unlikely to be the cause.....

• Like 1

What tyres pressures are the ones that don't get it running?

Mine does it as well, 18 inch wheels, and has spare wheel and heavy rubber mat fitted as well. Rear suspension seems really noisy over bumps and I think its just multiple ripples that makes it worse. I thought it was rear shelf originally but more the suspension now.

Not happy at all as its very intrusive. I had a 1.8 Elegance hatch for two weeks prior and didn't notice it and it had 18 inch wheels too so what is the difference between models, the 'sport' shocks? Do the wagons and/or petrol hatches do it too?

Edited by snala