I finally received my new VRS hatchback last Wednesday and immediately noticed the noise, my wife could hear it even clearer than I and found the noise quite uncomfortable in her ears, it was so bad she didn't want to be in the car, not ideal for my new pride and joy

I read through this forum and tried folding the seats down, leaving the boot on the latch etc nothing made much a difference.

I didn't get a spare wheel so I tried putting my wives spare wheel in the wheel space in the boot and immediately noticed a difference, I then fixed the spare wheel down securely so the bottom of the boot can't resonate and the sound has totally gone, just need too get myself a spare wheel.

If you want to test it but don't have a "spare" spare wheel take everything out of where the wheel would go put your head over it and bang it, the noise it makes is the sound I had been hearing.

I finally received my new VRS hatchback last Wednesday and immediately noticed the noise, my wife could hear it even clearer than I and found the noise quite uncomfortable in her ears, it was so bad she didn't want to be in the car, not ideal for my new pride and joy

I read through this forum and tried folding the seats down, leaving the boot on the latch etc nothing made much a difference.

I didn't get a spare wheel so I tried putting my wives spare wheel in the wheel space in the boot and immediately noticed a difference, I then fixed the spare wheel down securely so the bottom of the boot can't resonate and the sound has totally gone, just need too get myself a spare wheel.

If you want to test it but don't have a "spare" spare wheel take everything out of where the wheel would go put your head over it and bang it, the noise it makes is the sound I had been hearing.

So let me get this right, you went out of your way to ensure your wife was happy to sit in the car?

So am i to assume this noise is worse than the wifes nagging? :devil:  :D

How did you fix the spare weel down?

Hmmm, myself and others suggested this a while back but it apparently made no difference to affected cars. I also tried removing my spare wheel in my 'unaffected' car and could not tell a difference. I wonder if there is more than one fault causing similar symptoms?  

Is it at all possible that a suspension part or exhaust is a little too close underneath and occasionally tapping on the wheel well from below? I have not looked underneath so don't shout at me for that suggestion. :nerd:

I got my rs wagon last week and I do not hear the reasonance that the hatch has, or at least it is no where hear as noticable.  The only difference between my wagon and the demo hatch that had it and my mate's hatch that has it are bridgestone tyres and the lack of the rear hatch.  I'm convinced the issue is suspension/tyre noise amplified by the rear hatch acting like a drum.  Even tighly closed the hatch can still move up and down by over 2mm.  It is massive and heavy, and I think it's this movement over the certain bumps/road ripples, etc, that is causing the noise.  Why else would the noise disappear when the hatch is open but just latched, which did make a noticeable difference?

I got my rs wagon last week and I do not hear the reasonance that the hatch has, or at least it is no where hear as noticable.  The only difference between my wagon and the demo hatch that had it and my mate's hatch that has it are bridgestone tyres and the lack of the rear hatch.  I'm convinced the issue is suspension/tyre noise amplified by the rear hatch acting like a drum.  Even tighly closed the hatch can still move up and down by over 2mm.  It is massive and heavy, and I think it's this movement over the certain bumps/road ripples, etc, that is causing the noise.  Why else would the noise disappear when the hatch is open but just latched, which did make a noticeable difference?

My hatch doesn't move up and down by 2mm, it shuts tight against the adjustable rubber stoppers. If it is moving then there lies the problem.  

Hi everyone, I have a problem in my new Octavia III 1.4 TSI SE (petrol) bought three weeks ago. There is a very low frequency boom/reverberation which is triggered by the slightest bump or uneven surface on the road even at very low speeds. It is such a low note that it feels like rapid fluctuations of pressure on my ears. It gets loud when I am on an uneven road surface and makes me feel rather queasy. I've even tried wearing earplugs but the volume still seems loud, I have read that this may be because the sound at low frequencies is partly carried to the eardrums by the bones of the skull! On a typical motorway it seems much quieter but this may be due to the increase in road/wind noise obscuring the lower notes.

I took the car back to the dealer and test drove it out on the road with the chief mechanic, he acknowledged the noise (though of course without actually saying it was too loud) and said that they had had another owner take their car back for the same reason, this owner had apparently eventually accepted the problem. I am going back in a couple of days to try their hire car which is a similar engined model and see if the noise is present on that, this will help determine if the noise is a fault on my car or just typical of this model in general.

The car is behaving well in all other respects but this noise is spoiling my driving enjoyment. Has anyone else had this problem and if so what did you do about it and was it successful e.g. is there a sound deadening kit available that has worked for you, for example? The tyres are 205/55 R16 Michelin but it is not normal tyre 'roar', the pitch is much deeper than that. It is not the engine, which is fairly quiet at all speeds.

I've driven many cars over the years (I am 60) but never experienced a problem like this. I'll report back on my experience with the hire car.

Thanks for any advice in advance.

I was just wondering if the originator of this post or other early contributors have had any luck in solving this problem, Or have you just got used to it got rid of your car,

I have had mine for 4 weeks now and tried most of the suggested solutions. The latest being the velcro on the bumpstop on the rear door,

At first I thought this had solved the problem, but for some reason the ringing in my ears is back.

I am of the opinion that it is a combination of the rear door moving, rear suspension shocks not dealing with bumpy road surfaces well and somehow affecting the build up of cabin pressure.

So inconsistent

My hatch doesn't move up and down by 2mm, it shuts tight against the adjustable rubber stoppers. If it is moving then there lies the problem.  

If you close the hatch and then push down on it you will see it can still move, even when the rubber stoppers and side things are maxed out.  If the noise stops when the hatch is open then it must be the hatch itself reasonating over bumps etc when closed.  I can't think of any other explanation.

• Like 1

my hatch doesnt move when shut either

You guys sure it doesn't move? You have to push on the spoiler or the lid hard but it has movement. The rubber stoppers have give in them even when screwed right out as far as they go against the door so you would have to have movement surely? Mine does and its definitely against the stoppers. You can get inside when its closed and feel/see them touching. I have tried the side ones maxed out too so. The only difference you could have is yours are hard against the latch and can't move or the rubber seal lining in mine isn't on straight and is propping up the door so it looks closed but isn't tight.

I can't see how the hatch latch has any movement/adjustment to make it tighter so unless it is behind the panel? Variability in the latch tension causing the door to move would be a good answer though as its a common part to all the cars regardless of spec, wheels, engines etc?

Edited by snala

Problem with booming noise is because of faulty shocks! Forget the spare wheel, hatch...

It it the same problem like with Golf 7.

But I thought owners on other Euro forums that were now running the revised shocks said it made little or no difference?! Do you have any links to show that they've successfully cured the issues with these new shocks? :)

But I thought owners on other Euro forums that were now running the revised shocks said it made little or no difference?! Do you have any links to show that they've successfully cured the issues with these new shocks? :)

From what i saw on the German forum, it only solved the issue for some people.

Likewise, I have the same type of shock as is supposedly at fault. No low frequency booming noise that i can tell.

I still think people are describing two different issues here, and the shocks solve one, but not the other.

There is an annoying noise over certain road surfaces (which i do notice on the odd surface), and that may be down to the shocks amongst other things. There is also the low frequency booming, which, with it effecting peoples ears, would seem to be air pressure related.

If you close the hatch and then push down on it you will see it can still move, even when the rubber stoppers and side things are maxed out.  If the noise stops when the hatch is open then it must be the hatch itself reasonating over bumps etc when closed.  I can't think of any other explanation.

No mine is absolutely solid when shut. The rubber buffers appear to be at the top.

The problem is almost certainly pressure buffeting caused by the rear hatch moving.  I don't think it is the suspension, although that will make normal road noise along with the tyres.  A lot of cars seem to have it, some worse than others. It will be caused by the large and heavy hatch moving out of sync with the vehicle on bumps. The hatch moves up and down and acts like a low frequency speaker.  For such a large and heavy hatch I believe that it is not sufficiently supported.  The two small rubber supports are not enough.  The key will be to support the hatch sufficiently to stop it moving.  

• Like 2

The problem is almost certainly pressure buffeting caused by the rear hatch moving.  I don't think it is the suspension, although that will make normal road noise along with the tyres.  A lot of cars seem to have it, some worse than others. It will be caused by the large and heavy hatch moving out of sync with the vehicle on bumps. The hatch moves up and down and acts like a low frequency speaker.  For such a large and heavy hatch I believe that it is not sufficiently supported.  The two small rubber supports are not enough.  The key will be to support the hatch sufficiently to stop it moving.  

Why do some combi's suffer the same problem then?

Just for clarity, I agree with you, my hatch is solid and I don't have the noise problem. Although why others can't be adjusted the same is a mystery.

Mine doesn't, or at least not to the same degree as the hatch I think. But perhaps with the combi it could be the same issue ie. rear door moving because needs adjusting?  General road noise?  Some more sensitive to it than others?  The hatch is just a theory, but if people are saying the problem goes away when the hatch is not fully shut then the problem must be the hatch?

I have an Elegance estate 2.0TDi and have noticed the "booming sound". I also have the variable boot floor and full size 16” steel spare wheel.

I think the engineers seem to have inadvertently designed “in” a resonant frequency in the cabin in the audible range. The booming noise is this frequency at peak amplitude and is probably triggered by any external oscillation, whether it be vibration via the suspension or some other oscillator at the same frequency. I am no acoustic/mechanical engineer but I bet most cars exhibit this behaviour in the cabin. It’s just that the manufacturers control it by adding damping at key points around the car interior to reduce the effects. With several variables like trim level and optional extras, perhaps that is enough to cause a slight change between Octavia owners. Who knows but it’s just my guess about this problem. Anyhow add me to the list!

So let me get this right, you went out of your way to ensure your wife was happy to sit in the car?

So am i to assume this noise is worse than the wifes nagging? :devil:  :D

Yep, the alternative to to everywhere in her Kia c'eed. OK car but not where I want to be after getting my new vRS.

I attached the wheel down by finding an old piece of threaded bolt and used a pipe fitting at one end to go in the space on the boot floor, I then made a bracket across the top and screwed it tight with a nut. Advantages of having an Dad whose an engineer and father-in-law whose a plumber.  

Having driven the car a fair bit today the booming sound has gone but there is still a bit of a pressure issue. I agree with people saying there are a number of issues being reported here.

I've tried leaving the boot on the latch and that didn't fix it but that was before I did the spare wheel so I might try that again. Seems I have been particular unlucky and I have both the booming and the pressure issue. 

Have to say the pressure issue isn't much of a problem, I suffer from bad hayfever at this time of year and I suspect it will be fine when I'm not suffering from that.

Will update after my next test

The above post seems to provide some tangible results - there could be hope yet.

I have to be a bit sceptical as I know that from my own tests that just when you think you have the

problem fixed it will come back

The more i think about it, it really does seem to depend on how the the rear door is seated.

It is not consistent though and I cant say whether shutting it gently or slamming it is better or worse.

• Like 1