Clutch Click! Driving Me Mad!

Mikhail

I'm due to speak on the phone with a particular gentleman from Skoda UK tomorrow (Monday).

I will be interested to hear what this particular gentleman has to say, Oldstan.

I had considered downsizing to a Citigo following unexpected early retirement, but I am now having second thoughts.

There's too much scare mongering about clutch pedal clicking. I doubt the vast majority of people who own Citigos have it. Don't be put off as the Citigo is an all round great little car that beats others in its class quite easily.

• Like 1

I third it - my missus's is a 2nd half 2013 regged 60bhp ex demo with 7000mls ish and no clicking.

occasional rattle from the heat shield, but thats not the end of the world, i just cant be arsed crawling underneath it to tighten it -

when its due next service it will be on the list to do.

I can understand that anyone who gets it being peed off, its beyond annoying given the lack of help Skoda/VAG are giving to anyone reporting it,

but it really must not be as common as it seems to  be -

bear in mind that every forum, from gardening to cars to physics, is going to be dominated by posts regarding problems or issues,

the internet is the first port of call for every problem, so the vast majority of everything you see on it is going to be a negative

which statistically makes a rarity seem common place....

I can understand that anyone who gets it being peed off, its beyond annoying given the lack of help Skoda/VAG are giving to anyone reporting it,

Therein lies the problem.

I am not worried by the small risk that clutch-click might develop.

I am very worried by the apparent lack of help Skoda/VAG are giving to anyone reporting it.

I respect, hear and appreciate everything written in previous posts and I do consider the Citigo an excellent car.

But if I were to buy a Citigo that developed clutch-click and Skoda/VAG were unwilling to put it right, then I would find little comfort in the knowledge it does not affect the majority of other cars.

• Like 1

OK...I see the recent responses above and fully recognize that we all see things from a certain perspective and that each of our opinions is to be respected.

I come to this having had two Hyundais that have suffered from a couple of faults that have subsequently been acknowledged and rectified by the manufacturer BUT, at the time, were initially cast off as' characteristics'...or, indeed, the fault of the owner for not driving appropriately. 

What I'm saying is I'm wary of getting a third vehicle that either has, or had in the past, features that may spoil one's driving enjoyment if the fault (or characteristic) is noticeable enough.

Re 'scaremongering'.... I see that it is defined as If one person or group accuses another person or group of scaremongering, they accuse them of deliberately spreading worrying stories to try and frighten people.

I don't think I'm deliberately trying to frighten people but, from my point of view, don't want to saddle myself with a lemon.

I have spoken to a representative of Skoda today.  He is aware that some cars have exhibited clutch click...and, after five pages of contibution in this thread and a similar number on the VW UP" forums, I don't think it's a fairy tale that we're talking about here.  Clearly SOME people have it....or have had it.  And Skoda acknowledge that.

I am told that cars currently being manufactured either will not have it - or are not expected to have it - as a result of Skoda being aware of it and taking steps to overcome it.  I was not told what those steps are and accepted that they chose not to reveal what those steps are but am reasonably satisfied that they did acknowledge that it's not a figment of peoples imagination and have done something to prevent it happening in current production vehicles.

His suggestion to me - if I'm that concerned about getting one that clicks - is to buy one that is in stock and that I can drive and see for myself is OK...which is fair enough...I accept that if it troubles ME that much I shouldn't buy one which I haven't driven.  Clearly (and from the responses of some others above) it WOULDN'T trouble everyone...which, equally, is fair enough.  On balance, I don't think I've got what it takes to take the chance of a factory order so will probably not go any further....but THIS IS JUST MY OWN VIEW..to which I'm entitled...others will disagree, but I hope, politely :-)

I can't speak for anyone else and if anyone is troubled enough, then I guess they'll do what I have done and speak to Skoda and put their own views and circumstances to them.

I probably haven't got much more to add so shouldprobably best take a back seat unless anyone has further issues with the points I've made.

Sorry to have made such a fuss and anyone who is at odds with my stance is perfectly entitled to say so but maybe I shouldn't get further involved.

Thanks.

Edited by oldstan
  • Like 1

Hi Oldstan,

You obviously didn't speak to the same person as I did. From our conversation you know he didn't acknowledge the fault as a fault.

Did he say if they were now going to do anything about those cars that currently do have 'the characteristic'?

Just for info, you have probably seen that I have posted the info about Skoda UK that I mentioned in the forum.

Hi Oldstan,

You obviously didn't speak to the same person as I did. From our conversation you know he didn't acknowledge the fault as a fault.

Did he say if they were now going to do anything about those cars that currently do have 'the characteristic'?

Just for info, you have probably seen that I have posted the info about Skoda UK that I mentioned in the forum.

Hello Mike.  Yes it's a bit odd.  I think I did speak to the same fella and thought, as I was speaking to him, that he was coming across quite reasonably and did accept that there had been a problem which they had taken steps to correct.  No, I didn't think to ask about any corrective action on existing cars....you always forget something in the heat of the moment :-(      I'm sorry I didn't mention that :-(

• Like 1

Thanks bigdavy, I do agree about the car, the Yeti even more so.

However my trust in Skoda as a brand has been severely dented. Not so much by the click but please see my post - Skoda UK's response to owners view.

Whilst I can understand owners concern about the apparent lack of interest from Skoda UK to acknowledge a problem and rectify it can I ask another question? Have any owners who have had this noise had their cars for any length of time and has it actually resulted in any failures?

Fred

+ the numbers of complaints on here are tiny in comparison to actual production levels

add in a batch of people who have the issue and no knowledge of briskoda or other such forums, and its still going to be small numbers.

I would doubt it even comes close to 0.1% of all up/citigo/mii models have the issue.

For those thinking of buying a citigo, lets keep things in perspective. It's a slightly annoying clicking noise.

Whilst I can understand owners concern about the apparent lack of interest from Skoda UK to acknowledge a problem and rectify it can I ask another question? Have any owners who have had this noise had their cars for any length of time and has it actually resulted in any failures?

Fred

Not thats been reported on here that ive seen...

• Like 1

Mine has been doing it for 12,500 miles I'm so I have got used to it and it does not spoil the car for me as I I now ignore it ,however I reported it when skoda gave me the same story so if they are any failures during my ownership lets see how they try handle it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Here is an interesting point. My pedal clicks and has done so for over a year. ( http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/285904-a-year-with-the-citigo/) a bit annoying, but the rest of the Citigo attributes easily outweigh the issue. When I had a drive of a friends Mugen Honda I had the clutch pedal click twice on me!! He never has. This makes me wonder if the driver's physical build and position in relation to the pedal can aggravate the Citigo issue. I am not long in the leg (shortish even!) and so it's possible that my pressure on the pedal is slightly offset. Maybe taller drivers are the ones that have less problems with click? My Mugen owning friend is taller. The possibility of some us pressing the pedal in a different way could possibly explain why pushing the pedal to one side can stop the problem for a while.

Anyway, after again mentioning the point on the second annual service in August, I have been called back to my dealer for a further look at the issue. I will report back in due course.

• Like 2

Clutch clicking noise is normal , Skoda even issued a video to the dealers showing the symptoms and noise and advising that's its normal .

On what basis are you making your assertion, I respectfully ask?  If it's normal, why did the assistant to the Skoda UK MD tell me, in recent days, on the telephone, that they were aware of the clutch click on early production models and took steps to rectify it and subsequently give me assurances that they have now addressed on current vehicles, what was, an annoyiong noise which wasn't part of the intended and normal operation of the vehicle?

Why, I ask, did Skoda (and VW) go to the trouble of changing components in some owners cars if it's ...to use your own word..."normal"?  Your opening sentence has every appearance of being a statement of fact rather than a view or opinion so presumably there is appropriate qualification to reinforce the statement and I look forward to seeing it posted here.  I can't see where in the world you are....but I speak here in relation to matters in the UK.  Maybe you are elsewhere and know things that UK users do not  - in which case your information will be of assistance to those users who are troubled by it and are hoping to to see a resolution.

Edited by oldstan
  • Like 2

MY CLUTCH CLICK IS GONE!

Firstly something I believe we all need to clarify is what each of us is referring to when we mention clutch 'click'. It seems apparent that there are at least two versions of the issue running in parallel in this thread and in others.

1) This is where the clutch pedal click can be clearly heard inside the car as emanating from the internal pedal mechanism, (or attached internal ancillaries), when the pedal is close to being fully released.

2) This where the sound is more remote and from the engine bay. This is heard when the pedal is moved in its travel and is caused by the actual clutch mechanism in the engine bay as the clutch plate and flywheel engage and disengage. If the window is down and there is a wall/object alongside the vehicle this will reflect the sound back to the car and the sound can be much more apparent. I believe this is the sound 110ivan is referring to when he mentions the thrust bearing fork and is probably the one SUK refer to as normal.

In my 'A Year With The Citigo' item in August 2013 I said the following about these sounds:

“Like many others, I too have the clutch pedal 'click' – my dealer advises that Skoda are aware of this and this and have it listed under TPI 2032106/1 whilst they research a 'fix'. Not a problem, but because of the lack of insulation I can also hear the clutch mechanism operating.”

So you can see that at that point I was hearing two different noises.

BTW if you you have just bought or are thinking about buying a Citigo I feel sure that you will find the popular article informative and it also contains links to other important issues that were raised in the forum last year:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/285904-a-year-with-the-citigo/

I mentioned in post 142 above that I had been called back to my dealer, White Dove Skoda, Cardiff following my second service in early August.

I received a telephone call in early September which outlined that SUK wanted them to change the pedal box on my Citigo. Last Thursday this work was done and at last.............I no longer have the clutch pedal click!! :happy: :happy:  It appears that both the pedal box and clutch pedal have been replaced.

The sound as (2) above can still be heard, but with such light construction and lack of sound insulation this is inevitable. However, overall you get a car that in virtually every way performs the same as a 1974 1071cc Mini Cooper S, but is bigger, quieter and covers more mpg! Enjoy!

Edited by CortinaGT
  • Like 2

If nothing else, the clarification of the 2 different sounds being reported might help sort out alot of this.

and as result making it easier to report the issue to skoda - Clutch noise (normal) vs clutch PEDAL noise (issue)....

so when people do visit their dealers theres a better chance of a fix.

touch wood, we aint got it on ours, but if it developed i would be writing down that TPI number and bringing it with me to the garage....

at least that will direct the dealer to the fact that oh, its a geniune issue with an apparent fix available.

• Like 1

Just to clarify further, the TPI number I was given last year could be for one of either, or even both sounds in the area! Perhaps somebody in the know could help with this point now having been made aware of the confusion. Until that point is confirmed I would be cautious about using last years number.

At least I hope that my post will help owners explain the noise more clearly to the dealer regarding what particular sound they are concerned about.

so what do we need to quote to get the PEDDLE fix, as our 63 reg has the peddle click and going in for service this Saturday

do I need to raise a case with skoda, or can I get it done via the dealer?

I am also getting them to investigate a hefty clunk under front n/s when you start from cold or go over speed ramps, something loose under there