is the roomster for the chop

andy d

Looking recently at the Skoda UK website. it appears that the Roomster is now only available in two models i.e. Roomster S or Scout with almost no extras available. This suggests to me that the model is not going to be produced much longer.

Just been on the configure section and got S, SE, Greenline 11, and Scout up. So they are still offering a four version (excluding engine/gearbox packages) range.

From what I know, they are bringing it in line with the rest of the range one last time. It'll look similar to the new Rapid family face. 

Not 100% on this one, but I wouldn't be surprised. There was a spy shot a long time ago with the rapid esque bottom bumper. Bad chop, but you get the idea! 

1482450521549669270.jpg

Roomster+fl.jpgSkoda-Roomster-1.jpg

My guess is that if they make a MkII Roomie - as opposed to a facelift - that it'll be based on the Rapid, with the kind of relationship to the rapid that the ford C-Max used to have to the focus; i.e same car as the sportback but taller with a sqaured off ass-end, only saved by having varifold seats thrown in. It'll look blander too, as there's plenty of precedent for 'awkward' looking cars being toned-down in their second generation. See Fiat Multipla, for example. Or even the yeti, which lost it's cheerful round headlights, didn't it ? :(

I heard that rumour, but then I can't see it being different enough to the Yeti to be worth keeping. The Touran is pretty wide, isn't it ?

I wish they'd put 4x4 on the Roomie scout. That'd be my dream :)

This suggests to me that the model is not going to be produced much longer.

If this were to be the case and I seriously doubt it. I think I'll go out and buy as many as I can, with no more in production, those in existence will have rarity value for which maybe, just maybe, aficionados of the Roomster will be prepared to pay a premium for so that they can continue to own one.

A bit like Morris 1000 Travellers!

It does seem to be a bit unloved by Skoda tbh...They do very little marketing, its almost as if they want it to wither and die. Its an excellent little bus, versatile in so many ways and reliable and cheap. On SE spec you even get metallic paint thrown in. If they were bothered to have a go, it could easily outsell other competitors, streets ahead of the Meriva for instance..Wont be changing mine soon but still interested to see if it has a future

If they had stuck the two halves of the drawing together accurately and built each half to the same scale, it would not have been too bad.

As it is, it gets my vote for being one of the ugliest cars on the road. "Skoda" assemble VAG vehicles very well, but the styling department went on permanent leave in the 1950s. Luckily, there are hardly any of these monstrosities on the road - definitely time for the chop.

rotodiesel.

Yes I used to take a lot of stick over my ownership of VW Beetles in the 70s,how ugly and old fashioned,it was to different from the rest for people to comprehend. I loved mine,and look at them now a style icon!

Somewhere on here there's a Russian road test video of a Roomster that runs to about 15mins, it's a 2-wd on winter tyres. THEN up comes a screenfull of images, one (if you click) is a white 4-wd Roomster cavorting in mud, (don't recall there being any commentary.)Looks totally standard, but appears to be 4-wd.....................

Anyone know more?

And any other Roomster owners interested in the Czech Republic trip being mooted on "International Meets" ?

Richard

• 5 months later...

I have a Skoda 2WD 1.2TSi Yeti (and a very unreliable one at that - it's been no end of bother!). I would be quite happy with the Roomster if they sprinkled some Yeti design magic over. I don't really need the chunky exterior size of the Yeti. Despite the unreliablility of my Yeti it's a great car to drive and use, and is particularly good for lugging round all my bikes and ski kit in the boot with the seats out.

What are the chances, do you think, of them producing a Roomster with this sort of spec:

* Redesigned exterior to look attarctive instead of dog ugly!

* Fitted with the new super frugal VW 1.0TSi petrol engine that is going in the facelift 2014 VW Polo

* With the levels of refinement and finish in the Yeti

* Without bloating it into a bigger vehicle

* Handling to match the Yeti and a more refined ride than current Roomster

Any chance do you think? It'd be worth waiting for if it was likely...

If they had stuck the two halves of the drawing together accurately and built each half to the same scale, it would not have been too bad.

As it is, it gets my vote for being one of the ugliest cars on the road. "Skoda" assemble VAG vehicles very well, but the styling department went on permanent leave in the 1950s. Luckily, there are hardly any of these monstrosities on the road - definitely time for the chop.

rotodiesel.

Agree. Even if I owned one I'm quite sure I would never try to defend its appearance. I'm sure it's a good car - but visually it is in unforgivably hideous abomination (in my opinion). Defending it would seem completely pointless! (I own a yeti and fabia incidentally - neither of which is a winner in the beauty stakes).

Agree. Even if I owned one I'm quite sure I would never try to defend its appearance. I'm sure it's a good car - but visually it is in unforgivably hideous abomination (in my opinion). Defending it would seem completely pointless! (I own a yeti and fabia incidentally - neither of which is a winner in the beauty stakes).

Please re-read my recent considerations and forgive my presumptuousness  :giggle: 

After all, in cars 'form follows function'. Or not? 

Edited by Lorenzo

• 2 weeks later...

I find it ironic ,that here I am always envious of Yeti owners,when I see their cars winning all the top awards in the magazines,and yet Abominable reports his Yeti as being unreliable.All the Skoda models use the same engines and parts bin yet the poor old Roomster never gets a good press .

Still like mine regardless.

• Like 1

My Yeti has now had 18 warranty claims / recalls / dealer induced reworks. That's a lot in a 4 year old car!

With just a few design tweaks, a more frugal engine and a bit more refinement, the Roomster would be a great car choice. The Yeti is good, and the 1.2TSi great, but that engine has to push around a lot of metal and its bigger size means it also has to push a lot more air out of the way once it does get going, this and it's width means it not so good for city driving.

For those not needing burly looks or greater ground clearance a slightly redesigned Roomster with a Yeti flavour (and without my Yetis reliability problems) could be an excellent choice...let's see what Skoda do with it....

I`m with Eccleshill on this one...As I am long past esoteric motoring needs, or bird pulling in the venacular...the Roomster ticks all the boxes. One granddaughter and twin Grandsons on the way in July  :love:  :wall: I need something with practical load lugging ability at a reasonable price.Thats what this car does with ease. I am on occasions, dont ask, required to drive a Peugeot RCZ (TT lookalike)..now that is one pug ugly horrible thing I wouldnt have on my drive, never mind getting into and out of it...so as always cars are horses for courses...love the Roomy  :love:

having owned my roomy for nine months I think its great for what it is and smile to myself when I see all the gas guzzlers and exotic expensive metal that costs and arm and a leg to run , if we all like our roomsters why can,t we endorse them on the car survey sites so as to let skoda know

Well, I hope not as I would like to have another. It's styling is a bit ungainly but for adults in the rear seats, the high windows and the glass roof makes the interior light and airy. Folding/removeable rear seats are so practical, it's a great load lugger. So it's not a willy-waver. People laugh. So what? Let them. I bought the 1.9 l diesel Roomy 3, and for over 7 years has proved a solid, reliable drive.

Here is a prototype VW Polo 'van':

VW-Polo-Van-400x267.jpg

If they could design the Roomster a little like this without sacrifying any space, keepthe varioflex seating, fit that new frugal 1.0TSi engine (<100g/l CO2) that's going in the new 2014 Polo and add a little refinement to the cabin and ride, they'd be onto a winner, IMO.

Edited by Abominable
  • Like 1

Here is a prototype VW Polo 'van':

VW-Polo-Van-400x267.jpg

If they could design the Roomster a little like this without sacrifying any space, keepthe varioflex seating, fit that new frugal 1.0TSi engine (<100g/l CO2) that's going in the new 2014 Polo and add a little refinement to the cabin and ride, they'd be onto a winner, IMO.

VW have managed to out do the Roomster in the ugly stakes.

(I like the look of the doomster now. It has a certain charm even if it is not conventionally aesthetic)