Winters on !

bit early for winters, it's 26 outside  :sun:

lucky you!

Still a bit of sun getting through in the day here but heating on 1/2hr in the evening now.....

Ironically, proper space savers are not that bad in winter as they are narrow and soft compound. I had matching summer and winter full size spares for my Octavia and am trying to source matching alloys for my sets for the scoob as I like to be well equipped and not pressured into buying the first replacement tyre I can get my hands on. Until I do, I will be just carrying one wheel from the other set as a spare. Unless you're one of those idiots who intends on driving on the spare for more than necessary, don't worry about it.

It's not like you are driving for prolonged periods on a spare either.

The purpose of the spare is to get you home and then to the tyre fitter first thing the next morning.

• Like 1

I've only ever fitted an all-season on my spare once when I converted sizes on the normal tyres to use a specific all-season pattern in a slightly larger tyre which wasn't manufactured in the stock size. Otherwise just one of the unfitted summer or winter set leaving 3 less valuable ones locked away. ;)

Just spent an hour in the baking sun changing over to winters after getting a couple of pucks for free yesterday. Result.

Got my Nokian WR D3 205 55 16 fitted (valved + balanced etc) to my steelies for £ 40 by local mobile van fitter :clap: .  I'll fit them myself in a few weeks. Saw a neat trick with a drill large, hook and the scissor jack.

What is the bore size for Octavia 3? Is 57.1 like for Octavia 2? Do you use rings to center your dezent rims?

Yes to both your questions. You will also need conical wheel bolts M14 x 1.5, 28 mm length. I purchased a VAG installation kit (bolts and spigot rings) with my Dezent wheels.

I have conical bolts on my original 17" denom rims. Do I need others?

The OEM VAG bolts have a radius seat. Most aftermarket alloys have cone seat. Link below shows examples:

http://www.performancealloys.com/wheel-nuts-wheel-bolts.aspx

You need the right seat in order to torque the bolts up correctly - Dezent has the cone type.

Ok. Thanks. Does anyone know what is the dimension of the ring for dezent? Is it 66.6 x 57.1?

70.1 to 57.1 according to Tuv cert - I have 7.5J x 17 ET 40 Dezent TD Dark rims. Check rims / sizes on their configurator.

http://www.dezent-wheels.com/441_EN.htm

Edited by Black_Sheep

That's a copy and paste of last years news :)

Still, I have sets for both cars ready and would put them on regardless.

Think mine will be going on in a few weeks, just bought myself a torque wrench so I can put them on to the right torque. Just need to grab myself a jack from machine mart.

You need the right seat in order to torque the bolts up correctly - Dezent has the cone type.

The TUV document matching Dezent TD 6.5J x 16 ET 46 wheels with Skoda models (CB 57.1, so no rings need on this baby) includes a section that google translates as follows:

Fasteners: spherical collar bolts M14x1.5, Schaftl. 27 mm, diam. 26 mm

Accessories: AEZ Article no. ZJV8 ww. series Screw

Tightening torque of the fastening parts: 120 Nm

When I google "spherical collar bolt" I got images of bolts which look like the radius seat depicted on the link posted by Black Sheep.

I e-mailed Dezent and they said the wheels are designed to work with the OEM bolts.

Now I'm no bolt expert, can anyone confirm whether the phrase 'spherical collar bolt' equates to a radius seat or not?

The TUV document matching Dezent TD 6.5J x 16 ET 46 wheels with Skoda models (CB 57.1, so no rings need on this baby) includes a section that google translates as follows:

Fasteners: spherical collar bolts M14x1.5, Schaftl. 27 mm, diam. 26 mm

Accessories: AEZ Article no. ZJV8 ww. series Screw

Tightening torque of the fastening parts: 120 Nm

When I google "spherical collar bolt" I got images of bolts which look like the radius seat depicted on the link posted by Black Sheep.

I e-mailed Dezent and they said the wheels are designed to work with the OEM bolts.

Now I'm no bolt expert, can anyone confirm whether the phrase 'spherical collar bolt' equates to a radius seat or not?

For the rim size you have quoted the the Tuv certificate refers to 'kUgelbundschrauben' and 'serienschrauben', 'ball screw collar' and 'standard screw' - this is the radius seat 'standard' type fitted to VAG cars.

On the Tuv cert for 17" rims:

'kEgelbundschrauben' and '60 Grad' which is 'cone screw collar' and '60 degrees'.

In summary check the Tuv cert for your own size wheels.

• Like 1

Thanks Black Sheep! Learning German and 'Mechanical Fixings 101' all at the same time. Who would have thought something so simple could be so difficult? I'd say it would be easier to ask your local Skoda dealer, but we've seen where that ends up on another thread...

And the German for cone and sphere are so similar too!

Good clear explanation, thanks again.

Guys...it seems that I bought some second hand rims that are not recommended for Octavia 3. They are 7jx16 et 45 with 66.6 bore. In the technical book I have 6.5j x 16 et 46 with an 57.1 bore as recommended rims. The bore will be fixed with some rings, but in terms of wheel allignment this means that the new rim will be 5mm closer to the suspension and will poke out 7 mm. Comparing them with the actual 17 inch rims, they will be 4mm further away from the suspension and will poke out 4mm. Is it safe to put this new rims on my car? Are they going to affect my suspension or the bearings? What about geometry? Thanks

Edited by barqqsanu

They'll be fine. The center of the wheels (width-wise) will be very close to OEM due to the small difference in ET, so no worries about geometry and bearings. Since the inner side will be further from the suspension than the 17" rims, there's no issue there, and on the outside 4mm is much less than the spacers some people are putting on their cars to improve the looks. I think you're good to go. 

• Like 1