How does Bay parking work with Park Assist?

Hi all,

Just beginning to get my head around all the tech in my new vRS and just started looking at Park Assist. Arguably the 'scariest' feature to try out when learning the dimensions of a new car.

Parallel parking I get - press the PA button, drive past the space slowly, car tells you if it can park itself there and you follow the instructions on the Maxi DOT to reverse in.

For Bay parking, the manual suggests its the same as parallel parking. Is that it? Press the PA button, drive slowly past the bay space waiting for the car to acknowledge it can park there, then reverse in? I assume I would have to use the indicator if the space is on the driver side.

I can see a few gotchas with this. The car will use the other cars to align itself so if they are parked badly, you will too. Cars parked on the curb pose a risk to curbing your rims for the same reason.

For bay parking you need to press the park assist button twice - but yes as it uses the side mounted sensors if the cars parked either side then I guess it may well park out of square. I've used it a couple of times when visiting my mother who lives in a McCarthy & Stone development and it is very accurate.

Edited by Timoctav

So press the ParkAssist button twice and then drive past the bay you'd like to park in?

Is that correct?

Yes that's it; the maxi dot will change if the space is big enough

Edited by TonyD
  • Like 1

what if there are no other cars parked, will it just plonk itself anywhere?

The parkassist doesn't "look at parking lines", it measures the distance to nearby objects and goes from there.

If there's nothing to park in between, then obviously it won't "assist" you.

• Like 1

what if there are no other cars parked, will it just plonk itself anywhere?

The parkassist doesn't "look at parking lines", it measures the distance to nearby objects and goes from there.

If there's nothing to park in between, then obviously it won't "assist" you.

The above is Lee's idea of being funny, he's very coarse with this though, but sometimes comical (isn't that right Mr Tutu  ;) )

The parallel parking I've used quite a few times to show customers but the bay parking only a couple, it's a clever piece of kit, but at the end of the day, if you can't park in Tescos should you really be on the road  :think: 

• Like 1

If you had read my first post correctly, you will notice I *have* read the manual but wanted further clarification.

Practise what you preach mate.

Erm the manual. Is quite clear that you press park assist button twice, so you hadn't read it clearly. Practice clarification yourself mate.

I'm flattered you're so interested in my ability to read manuals. You must be bored. Calm down and get off your high horse. These forums are not for criticising those asking for help, bouncing ideas around and generally chewing the fat.

Edit: typo

Edited by Farsider
  • Like 2

LOL, here's an excerpt from the manual around Park Assist. Is it me or is this just really bad English:

"The search for a suitable parking space takes place while the display is switched off. If the display is not switched on using the symbol button ? until the driver drives past the parking space, the system can assess and display this parking space."

LOL, here's an excerpt from the manual around Park Assist. Is it me or is this just really bad English:

"The search for a suitable parking space takes place while the display is switched off. If the display is not switched on using the symbol button ? until the driver drives past the parking space, the system can assess and display this parking space."

Yes, I read that very same line earlier and paused... re-read and still didn't quite understand it. Still don't understand it :-)

• Like 1