Gearbox oil change.

As my octy vrs petrol manual is 5 years old & has covered 50,000miles im thinking of changing the gearbox oil,i did this on my mk 1 octy vrs & it was straight forward,does anybody know if its the same procedure on the mk 2? i.e a straight foward drain & refil with the correct oil. 

If it's anything like a 1.9/2.0 PD mk2...

5 speed 1.9 diesels don't have a fill/level plug necessitating removal of drain plug and reversing light switch to drain and refill oil.

6 speed 2.0 models have a fill/level plug.

As per previous post, Haynes suggest every 20K miles/2 years that level is checked if vehicle is used for mainly for short journeys, taxi work or towing.

There is no Skoda service schedule for this item.

Run it until changes become noticeably different or you hear noises???

Is there a stipulated interval for change? Mine is on 92k and seems fine as it is!

no the oil is suppose to be sealed for life according to skoda, but if it's done 100k there's no harm changing as I changed mine at around 110k and it came out dark brown

5 speed 1.9 diesels don't have a fill/level plug necessitating removal of drain plug and reversing light switch to drain and refill oil.

Sorry, for the hard of thinking like me, could you explain that a little more clearly please?

Sorry, for the hard of thinking like me, could you explain that a little more clearly please?

They are filled for life so no need to change the oil in them that's why they dont have a level/filler plug. I would still change the oil though just to be on the safe side. The only way to do it is put the correct amount of oil in the hole made by taking the reversing switch out after you have drained it and put the drain plug back in.

What is the spec of the oil? Is there an upgraded spec i.e. fully synthetic gear oil??

Edited by FatblokeVRS
  • Like 2

Haven't done this myself, however, I have read that the gearbox is tiled past its original design angle. Consequently, the fill plug is actually below the fill level. So whether or not there us now a refill plug fitted, you must refill through the reversing light switch hole.

• Like 1

The gear changes on my 44,000 mile 5 year old 2.0 TDi got a bit notchy when cold from 1st to 2nd.

The dealer said that the box was sealed and that the oil is life long oil.

There is no such thing as life long oil so I went to another dealer who was happy to change it for me.

£60 all in and the gear changes are now much smoother. Glad I had it done.

• 1 month later...

I now have the correct gear oil and invested in a 500ml oil syringe for putting the oil in. I also have a 100ml syringe so should be able to add the correct amount.

I plan on changing it soon. When I checked the gearbox whilst servicing the car, I noticed it has a filler/level plug. Was thinking about the issue of the gearbox being at an angle and I think the only way to make sure I put the right amount in is to measure how much comes out. If I then measure the same amount of fresh oil and put it in, I will find out if its done via the filler hole when it starts to drip out. If it takes all the oil and starts to drip, then via the filler hole is the correct way to go. If it drips out before it all goes in, then the filler hole is too low and through the reverse switch hole is the correct way to go.

I will try and get it done soon and hopefully find out the correct information. This is on a 2010 VRS CR 170 with a 6 speed gearbox. The part number for the oil ends in A2 as far as I remember and the 5 speed boxes use oil that ends in A1.

Edited by FatblokeVRS
  • Like 1

The gear changes on my 44,000 mile 5 year old 2.0 TDi got a bit notchy when cold from 1st to 2nd.

The dealer said that the box was sealed and that the oil is life long oil.

There is no such thing as life long oil so I went to another dealer who was happy to change it for me.

£60 all in and the gear changes are now much smoother. Glad I had it done.

i have the same problem, when taking off cold 1st and 2nd are a bit meh and 3rd feels as you descrbe notchy.

its 6 years old and suspect never had an oil change.

watching this thread with interest.....

• 6 months later...

Re: "sealed for Life"

I found out the other day that the TUV(?) classify the life of a vehicle to be 5 years, so when VW say "sealed for life" or "lifetime fill" it isn't the same length of time as what most of us are thinking.

I recently changed my gearbox oil at 140,000km (~85k miles). The oil was very black but not a lot of particles on the magnetic plug. It was also stinky so i assume it was mineral oil. In hindsight, I'd probably me more inclined to schedule this in every 80k-100k kilometres (50k -60k miles). I'll probably change it again at 220-250k km.

I refilled with 70w-75 full synth gearbox oil as it was the only local alternative to genuine VW (can't be bothered ordering from them, they are over-priced & don't carry any stock). I didn't have any issues with gear changing before but seem to be getting slightly better fuel economy.

Filled mine through the reverse plug hole - 1.8 to 1.9L for the M6 in a 1.8tsi (it's different to the vRS M6 which is 2.4L I believe)

• Like 1

So far on 2 Skodas, Mk1 Octy and Mk1 Superb, I replaced gearbox oil after 4-5 years and around 70k-90k miles. In both cases old gearbox oil looked foul compared to fresh fill, and new oil made gear changes smoother (and quietened diff noise on old Octy).  It makes sense to replace it every 4-5 years because oil ages.

Bear in mind that recommended shelf life for unused engine oil sitting on a garage shelf in sealed container is around 4-5 years, and gearbox oil (working hard inside of a gearbox) is bound to age faster.

Another fluid that is supposed to be lifetime, but definitely needs replacing after 4-6 years, is power steering fluid. Just compare the colour of new fluid to the one you have in the car. Old fluid is brown from water ingress, and if not changed will corrode steering rack on the inside. New fluid is green.

"Lifetime" to VAG means it's high time you should go back to dealership and buy a new car. I'd rather replace fluids and keep the car for double "lifetime", or even triple.

Edited by dieselV6
  • Like 1

"Lifetime" to VAG means it's high time you should go back to dealership and buy a new car. I'd rather replace fluids and keep the car for double "lifetime", or even triple.

Or after the fleet buyers have got rid of them.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Don't think so, no.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Bet someone really loves the idea of selling that for a tenner --- :swear: then you can throw away a perfectly good plug