Oh No! I'm criticising my Yeti

awfabia

Well here goes.........

As my previous posts, I eagerly ordered my Yeti 1.2 petrol and took delivery on 31st July and am as delighted as I expected.

I think I previously posted disappointment at not having the MDI connector out of sight in the glovebox as in my previous (inferior) Golf Plus.

Any solutions to this would be appreciated.

Having checked the fuel consumption on the trip computer at around 38 mpg for the last couple of thousand miles, I have just checked the actual fuel purchased and worked out the following:-

0-3000         miles    36.7   mpg

0-6000         miles    36.49 mpg

3000-6000   miles    36.27 mpg

Most of my mileage is now either a 5 mile run into town OR a run of over 50 miles on fast A road dual carriageways or Motorways.

I tend to drive at around 70 whenever possible on the fast roads but was expecting more like 40-44 mpg overall when run in as the official Skoda stats have.

My Fabia 1.6 petrol regularly does around 42 mpg ( 70,000 miles) so I do know how to drive for economy so please let me know if I am expecting too much at 40 plus mpg.

By the way, no faults on car at all, nothing else disappoints.

Hi Awfabia,

• Achieved 41+ mpg over 12000 miles.
  • Kept to 65 mph as at 75 mph the consumption increased somewhat.
  • Anticipating traffic flows helps as does driving in a 'defensive' manner.
  • Weekly checked tyre pressures.

Shanco

BUT Skoda do say 44 mpg 'overall'.......,

What consumption do other 1.2 manual Yetis get?

Not a manual, but a 1.2tsi DSG and it gets 40mpg driven carefully, 37mpg driven normally.

It'll do the claimed 44mpg if you drive everywhere at 50mph.

You could drive carefully, or you could just enjoy the car.

Let's face it, £100 or so extra in fuel on a car that's losing a few thousand every year is not worth worrying about.

Two things hurt the mpg of all Yetis.

Barn like aerodynamics and weight.

• Like 4

As above - not a manual - but never, ever, get more than 37mpg, and sometimes down to 31mpg. The average (2) on the clock always reads 35 - 37 and the average (1) sometimes gets up to 38 but in reality a reading of 38 is rare. But don't drive at a constant 56 and do some short journeys.  Never paste it for more than occasional short periods to clear the tubes out and do use open roads as well as round town but it's never seen 40mpg or better.  I check it brimmed every time and always use Shell from the same garage.  11,000 miles on the clock.  Just done 500 miles on the A3 A303 M3 M25 and a bit of running around town in Essex and it still didn't vary much from the above. At least it's consistent.

Edited by oldstan

Fabia 1.6 kerb weight : 1130kg

Yeti 1.2 kerb weight    : 1335kg

Difference 205kg!!

That is nearly 200 bags of sugar!!

Plus the Yeti is not as aerodynamic as the Fabia, so any speed over 60mph kills the fuel consumption.

• Like 2

Brim to brim over 15,000 miles achieved 40 9 MPG. 1.2 Tsi DSG. Mix of motoring, urban, rural and some motorway; not a boy racer but no slow coach either. Worst was 35 MPG on a high speed run to Cornwall into a howling gale head wind with pouring rain all the way. Best was 52 MPG on a slow (50 max) rural road for a 20 mile trip on a calm Autumn morning. Consumption heavily dependent on the headwind and how you drive - acceleration, anticipation and speed. Anything over 75 and consumption increases rapidly - as it does with all vehicles because wind resistance is a square of velocity.

40.0 actual mpg over the first 15k miles in 1.2 DSG.

Is it possible you may be revving a little bit too much for economical driving?  The DSG rarely goes above 2200 rpm in gentle driving, since the turbo provides torque from very low down, but if I were driving a manual, I think I'd change at a higher engine speed just through habit.

Hi Awfabia, I've got the 1.2TSi Elegance and over the first 5,000 miles I've averaged a true 38.7mpg with a mix of local running, similar to your 5 mile run into town, and longer trips of up to around 200 miles. I would agree with Graham that once you go over 60mph the fuel economy does seem to go down pretty sharply (at least as expressed on the Maxidot, which I've found to give a pretty reliable and consistent  indication brim-to-brim) but since buying my Yeti my experience has been that it suits a more relaxed driving style anyway, but I guess that's a personal choice.

The Yeti is such a practical vehicle and a pleasure in all the important respects, I knew my mileage was likely to be around 9,000 miles/annum and so I'm happy to forgive it not being the most economical of beasts. (And frankly after the reliability hell that was my last car, not to have been near a garage in the last 8 months has been worth a few mpg, to say the least).

Just clocked up 10,000 from new in my 1.2 manual elegance...my experiences

Maxi dot consumption has proved to be pretty accurate

Mix of journey types av comes in at 41mpg

On a run and driving sensibly have achieved 50mpg with cruise set to 65mph, but speeds of 65+ have a huge impact

Pretty happy overall and just about what I anticipated.

Fabia 1.6 kerb weight : 1130kg

Yeti 1.2 kerb weight    : 1335kg

Difference 205kg!!

That is nearly 200 bags of sugar!!

Plus the Yeti is not as aerodynamic as the Fabia, so any speed over 60mph kills the fuel consumption.

205kg is over 200 bags of sugar (assuming they are the standard 1kg bags) :D

I think Graham still measures bags of sugar by the old 2lb weight which is ~ 900 grams ;)

Multipliy that by 200 and you get 180Kg which is nearly(ish) 200 bags of sugar at 2lb/bag (I think :think:  ) :D

• Like 1

1.2 DSG. Mainly less than 10 mile runs but occasionally more. No city driving thank you very much. I'm getting just under 37 brim to brim.

There's no way I'd change my driving style to try and coax out a couple of more mpg.

I still don't understand why people think they will get anywhere near the manufacturers figures in the real world. They are there purely for comparison. Just take 8/10mpg off and you won't be disappointed.