USB socket fitted - Now relocated between seats.

SimonJ

Replaced the 12v socket in the centre console with a USB socket.

IMAG0309_zpsce50e1e7.jpg

Had to unclip the base of the gearstick gaitor to push out the 12v socket. Filed the hole very slightly bigger to get the USB socket back in.  The connectors on the loom had to be cut off and replaced with standard 6.3mm blade terminals to connect to the USB socket.

The USB socket has a 2.1 amp maximum output which makes it suitable for iPhones etc.  There is also a single socket version with a 1 amp output. I paid about £20 for the twin socket.

Purchased from here;

http://www.mobilecentre.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=60_228&zenid=0926a524bb010f1ecc32080cd203a593

A less elegant, but possibly more flexible, alternative is to use a twin USB adapter in the existing 12v source.

I do this on my m'bike so I still have an accessible 12v source eg for a tyre pump or beer cooler :) if needed...

Same here.

As I said previously shame Skoda did not add one that charges and also connects to the radio/PID (for the Samsung S3 users amongst us)

• Like 1

just keep in mind that if the socket is powered all the time, like it is in most VAG cars then even with the key removed the voltage stepdown circuit is still drawing current from your battery as it will be on 24x7. The amount of draw maybe low, but it will eventually over time lead to a flat battery.

just keep in mind that if the socket is powered all the time, like it is in most VAG cars then even with the key removed the voltage stepdown circuit is still drawing current from your battery as it will be on 24x7. The amount of draw maybe low, but it will eventually over time lead to a flat battery.

We are ok with the one fitted (just the plug in jobbie) as that 12v socket isn't live when ignition off. 

Glad to hear that it is only live with the ignition on.

The blue led 'power' light on the socket thingy goes out when the ignition is off on our 307, so I rather hoped the Citigo would be no less smart...

The reason I mention it, is that on the Octavia MK1/MK2/Superb MK2 and both my Audi A8s the socket is always live.

In the Citigo the 12v socket is only live when the ignition is on.

fabia is live all the time, I have a tendency to leave my Bluetooth charger in it as it has a nice bright red LED, which seems to have a deterent effect, seen several local yoof look in and walk off to look in other cars for longer time

Edited by bluecar1

• 2 months later...

Yeah. That aux socket on the radio should be a USB connection to the paid

Same here.

As I said previously shame Skoda did not add one that charges and also connects to the radio/PID (for the Samsung S3 users amongst us)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

The reason I mention it, is that on the Octavia MK1/MK2/Superb MK2 and both my Audi A8s the socket is always live.

yep my octavia is live all the time, handy I guess for running a dash cam. Citigo only comes on whilst ignition is on. I'm think of running a second 12v socket into the arm rest to charge a phone or other usb item.

• 2 weeks later...

I did, best of both worlds.

2012-09-29130304.jpg

Does the Griffin USB Car Charger fit flush so the cover flap on the 12V socket closes when nothing is plugged in to the USB sockets ?

I bought a Belkin one from Amazon, but it is too long so the flap will not close, which looks messy

Thanks

Everything ive asked for from there merchandise is always no longer avaliable :(

I have a very slim topped USB plug in mine but the cap only closes down about half way so i never leave it plugged in.