Over steer!

Easiest cornering is to get your entry speed right, get the car turning and settled and then hold your speed and the line and accelerate as you straighten up again, i.e. SMOOTH!

It takes skill to corner fast in a Fab, it's not very forgiving of schoolboy errors, particularly the high-torque diesels which just want to plough like a VR6.

Just booked a skid course with my old driving instructor, Tesco car park after dark it is then!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Get two mcdonalds tray's put them under your back wheels, apply the handbrake then have some fun lol.

I'm obviously not recommending people do that btw ;)

Probably partly down to tyres and slippy roads but a massive contribution would be the driver input... I've never spun my fabia completely and I had a JaBbasport RARB which makes it more twitchy at the back then standard! And I drove it hard

I had new Rainsport 3's fitted a couple of week ago and have very good tread rainsport 2's on the back and on smallish round about's the lift off oversteer is horrendous but higher speed stuff is fine...strange

Were you braking when on the roundabout theezenutz?      Worse thing ever is to brake on corners whilst turning the steering wheel.   You can do a bit of left foot braking gently to straighten a car on a bend but does take some practice.    Drive safely my friend.

• Like 1

I had new Rainsport 3's fitted a couple of week ago and have very good tread rainsport 2's on the back and on smallish round about's the lift off oversteer is horrendous but higher speed stuff is fine...strange

Weight transfer, the VRS is very front heavy so as soon as you lift off the rear wheels unload dramatically, RARB's make it worse and the stiffer they are the worse they make it, any slight bump mid-corner while that weight transfer is taking place will cause a tyre to lose grip, once one tyre has lost grip the other tyre can't hold on because it too is unloaded and so loses grip, net result, oversteer.

Answer: Stop posing down the chippy and learn to drive.

Easiest cornering is to get your entry speed right, get the car turning and settled and then hold your speed and the line and accelerate as you straighten up again, i.e. SMOOTH!

It takes skill to corner fast in a Fab, it's not very forgiving of schoolboy errors, particularly the high-torque diesels which just want to plough like a VR6.

+1 ;)

I was lucky. Had my dad teach me how to drive and being in north wales . It was mostly open country roads. Being a very good driver himself. He taught me to be smooth and gentle. If you drive like that the speed will come to you naturally. Being my first car was a 1.4 fiat stilo you had to work the bends and keep an avarage speed to get anywhere. But always ending up being the overtaker and not the over taker.

The faster you go. The more you plan ahead. And small things like watching telephone poles and treelines all come in handy to tell you where the road it leading. But only as a guide. Never fully trust them.

• Like 1

Were you braking when on the roundabout theezenutz?      Worse thing ever is to brake on corners whilst turning the steering wheel.   You can do a bit of left foot braking gently to straighten a car on a bend but does take some practice.    Drive safely my friend.

Nah I applied the brakes in a straight line before I entered the roundabout. It's a round about i've negotiated many, many times.

But i'm not gonna deny that it was probably a combination of driver error and poor grip on the rear. I've been through that round about in my previous cars with no problem at all.

It's funny because I know the old 205 gti's were notorious for lift-off oversteer, but i've never heard about it with the Fabia's.

I'm just gonna have to chalk it down to experience and learn from it.

Cheers Soot1e

Edited by theezenutz

Budget coilovers? My car was dangerous in the wet with cheap suspension, diffrent car with apex suspension kit on now :)

Nah I have Weitec's, just upgraded the front brakes to 312's and recently fitted rs2's up front the only thing I overlooked was the rears. I'm even in the process of ordering the h&r rarb.

I'm fully aware of how important the suspension components are, I've yet to do anything performance wise. I may just put any future performance mods on the backburner lol. Defiantly wise for the meantime.

Nah I have Weitec's, just upgraded the front brakes to 312's and recently fitted rs2's up front the only thing I overlooked was the rears. I'm even in the process of ordering the h&r rarb.

I'm fully aware of how important the suspension components are, I've yet to do anything performance wise. I may just put any future performance mods on the backburner lol. Defiantly wise for the meantime.

You sir, are a wise man and a credit to the male of the species.

Young men seem to forget just how mediocre a commodity the UK full driving licence is, it doesn't take much to get one, literally any idiot will have one which is why driving is classed as semi-skilled work and is relatively low paid. It isn't even a prerequisite for an FIA super licence.

You sir, are a wise man and a credit to the male of the species.

Young men seem to forget just how mediocre a commodity the UK full driving licence is, it doesn't take much to get one, literally any idiot will have one which is why driving is classed as semi-skilled work and is relatively low paid. It isn't even a prerequisite for an FIA super licence.

Ummm... Thanks but to be honest I don't feel very wise at the minute, and i'm still a bit shook up from it and rather embarrassed.

But thanks for the kind words.

I'm also a firm believer that things happen for a reason. If anything I hope this serves as a notice to people that it's something to be wary of especially to the lesser drivers.

Edited by theezenutz

Weight transfer, the VRS is very front heavy so as soon as you lift off the rear wheels unload dramatically, RARB's make it worse and the stiffer they are the worse they make it, any slight bump mid-corner while that weight transfer is taking place will cause a tyre to lose grip, once one tyre has lost grip the other tyre can't hold on because it too is unloaded and so loses grip, net result, oversteer.

Answer: Stop posing down the chippy and learn to drive.

I'm not sure if I've read this correctly but, are you assuming I don't know how to drive?

I wasn't pointing out that I'm having problems with oversteer that I can't cope with, I'm pointing out that when provoked in the wet these cars are pretty bad for oversteer..but obviously you know everything about me and my driving and clearly saw me down the chippy..

Edited by jdmarron

I'm not sure if I've read this correctly but, are you assuming I don't know how to drive?

I wasn't pointing out that I'm having problems with oversteer that I can't cope with, I'm pointing out that when provoked in the wet these cars are pretty bad for oversteer..but obviously you know everything about me and my driving and clearly saw me down the chippy..

You didn't read it correctly, The main paragraph with the technical explanation was for you.

The second part was intended for more general consumption, to bring a little colour to the cheeks of those with whom it would resonate.

You didn't read it correctly, The main paragraph with the technical explanation was for you.

The second part was intended for more general consumption, to bring a little colour to the cheeks of those with whom it would resonate.

Ah okay, I didn't need the technical advice but than you for being helpful. I'm sure it will resonate in the ears of others