Why you should get a spare wheel!

Last night on my way home from a wedding at about 1.30 in the morning I heard an odd noise from the F/N/S wheel so I pulled over and could see the tyre was rapidly going down. I thought no problem I'll use to goo and compresser provided and will be back on my way shortly.

Nope firstly for the life of me I couldn't get the tyre valve out as instructed in the handbook and then when I put air into the tyre I could hear it escaping almost as quickly as it was going in.

I therefore had to call Skoda assistance who were great and got to me within the hour and gave me a lift home.

However I'm now stuck at home with a car with a flat tyre, nowhere open today and tomorrow I'm going to have to work out how to get the car to a tyre place.

In short lesson learnt I'll be ordering a spare wheel tomorrow! D'oh

• Like 2

Most in the mk2 section would agree. At least if you have the spare wheel you have the option. Where was the puncture on the tyre as if its repairable I would have thought Skoda Assist would have plugged it for you at the roadside. Might be worth ringing them again and asking them how you are supposed to get it fixed as you won't have a jack or wheel brace. The spare wheel kit will be circa 130 IIRC, just check with the dealer to make sure the spare will go over the front calipers as some were 15 rather than 16inch rims on the mk2 which neant they wouldn't fit on the front of a vRS. You probs wont have any issues but best check before you buy rather than at the roadside. Good luck.

Most in the mk2 section would agree. At least if you have the spare wheel you have the option. Where was the puncture on the tyre as if its repairable I would have thought Skoda Assist would have plugged it for you at the roadside. Might be worth ringing them again and asking them how you are supposed to get it fixed as you won't have a jack or wheel brace. The spare wheel kit will be circa 130 IIRC, just check with the dealer to make sure the spare will go over the front calipers as some were 15 rather than 16inch rims on the mk2 which neant they wouldn't fit on the front of a vRS. You probs wont have any issues but best check before you buy rather than at the roadside. Good luck.

The spare for the vRS is an 18" space saver so fits on all 4 corners.

Guest Cossiecol

Had the same thing happen to me and thought to myself for £75 I'm not going to faff about with this sealant stuff as I can just change the wheel over in roughly the same amount of time.

Also thought what if my wife (on the very rare chance) was driving would I want her driving on gel/sealant....I think not!

Queue one call to the dealer to get the space saver added to my order :)

The spare for the vRS is an 18" space saver so fits on all 4 corners.

cheers for the info-nice to see you've got a decent sized spare on the mk3, though as Dedders will be retro ordering from the dealer it'll be a good idea for him to check they've got him the correct one when it turns up as no doubt not all the spares will be 18" ones :thumbup: :thumbup:

When i ordered Mine back in June One of The Option i asked for was a spare Wheel, When i picked the car up at the end of November Löw and behold no spare. Do Not like The idea of driving from Germany back to Nottingham so i have ordered a full size spare.

Don't forget that anyone can call Skoda Assistance and they will happily change your wheel for the spare. The last chap I spoke to insisted that my wife or I don't try to change the wheel at the roadside.. always call them as it is a dangerous place to be. 

Most in the mk2 section would agree. At least if you have the spare wheel you have the option. Where was the puncture on the tyre as if its repairable I would have thought Skoda Assist would have plugged it for you at the roadside. 

The thing with a roadside plug (unless you're in a tyre van and can take the tyre off the rim, and apply a permanent plug), is it's only a temporary fix as it goes in from the outside, and can be pulled out by tyre wear if left in for too long. The catch is, because they have to drill the tyre, it can stop a permanent repair being applied. 

Looking for a spare wheel for the Mk3 vRS - People have suggested a mk5 golf.

Found one on ebay - but it's a T125/70 R16.

I know for a fact my wheels are R18's.

Will this fit?  

Why is it not simple to find a cheaper alternative for a spare wheel - I wouldn't mind paying Skoda prices, but I have 2 cars to buy for. Sure as hell SWMBO will be asking for one if I don't get her one.

I have about £80 to spend on a spare wheel for mine and about £50 to spend on a spare for a 2013 Monte Carlo.

I don't want alloys - full size steelies would be fine.

Failing that - how the hell do you calculate / know if an R16 will fit an R18.  The bolt pattern might be right, but will it safely fit over the brake callipers?

We need a guide for this - so people like me can understand it.

The vRS with the 340mm brakes needs a 17" standard rim or the official space-saver to fit over the calliper.

TP

So the advice of getting a "standard Mk5 Golf" was complete crap then.

Bloody hell.  Anyone wanna sell me a couple? Will chuck in some beers too as I'm on the wagon for new year :)

The spare is £75 as an option and I was told £150 after sale, when you order the wheel you no longer get the compressor and gunk- which Skoda must price at around £75.

9 times out of 10... A puncture is driven on ( even just to a safe place to stop) to such an extent that the repair gunk has no hope of doing what it claims.

Any tear...makes it useless.

I've never seen a roadside repair with the gunk work ( and I see many).

A spare wheel is a must... Even if YOU cant or don't want to change it....it's there for assist or recovery to do for you.

An ideal use for your unused summer /winter wheel perhaps. ( and another tick reason to get spare winter wheels)

I would never be without a spare wheel.

I think it's a con to not include it. They should include it as standard then deduct the price off for those who do not want it.

Don't forget that anyone can call Skoda Assistance and they will happily change your wheel for the spare. The last chap I spoke to insisted that my wife or I don't try to change the wheel at the roadside.. always call them as it is a dangerous place to be. 

If you're on the motorway it is actually illegal to perform any maintenance to a vehicle on the hard shoulder including changing a wheel so you would have to call for assistance anyway.

Phil

I think it's a con to not include it. They should include it as standard then deduct the price off for those who do not want it.

If you're on the motorway it is actually illegal to perform any maintenance to a vehicle on the hard shoulder including changing a wheel so you would have to call for assistance anyway.

Phil

I'd always change a wheel myself if its safe to do so but no way would I try it on a motorway, much better to call for assistance with their extra flashing lights and stuff.

Hi all - first post here so apologies if this has been answered somewhere else. I am being quoted £190 (by four different delers) for the standard spare wheel and toolkit, or £145 for the wheel / tyre alone. This seems a bit steep compared to prices quoted on here. Probably a silly question but is there any reason I can't just get my local independent tyre place to order me in a steel wheel and budget tyre and drop them into the wheel well (I have the Combi SE with standard 16" alloys)?

Thanks

Simon

If you're on the motorway it is actually illegal to perform any maintenance to a vehicle on the hard shoulder including changing a wheel so you would have to call for assistance anyway.

Phil

I think you will find that changing a flat tyre on the motorway is not illegal, but unless you are experienced in changing a wheel, I would not recommend that you attempt it. See attached thread which I found interesting, post 6 seems to imply it would be legal to change the wheel in an emergency...

http://www.policespecials.com/forum/index.php/topic/136998-changing-spare-wheel-on-the-m1/

Edited by Matt Pez

Having had time to consider this, I recall twice in thirty years of motoring having needed a spare but still, I've ordered one why, because its about being in control, I can turn up 15 mins late somewhere with dirtyhands I need to go & wash and be forgiven by anyone for being late, because I had a flat. 

If I phoned and apologise for not being able to make it somewhere because my can of junk won't work & everyone will think I'm a numbty for not having brought a spare.

I said it before, its just common sense.

Regards

T

• Like 2