Screenwash ahh!

Are you using one squirt or pumping the wiper arm.

Iirc it's every 5 screen washes you get the headlights wash

It's every 10 on the mkIII, according to the owners manual.

Top Tip.

When executing a wash of the screen with headlights on and said headlight washers, just pull the wiper stalk and release, this then releases many litres of water onto the headlamps whilst the windscreen wipers are active, a lot of the screen wash that has hit the headlights is now heading at 60 mph towards the windscreen and is more than sufficient to wash the screen also.

Obviously only every 5th wash will do this (on a Yeti anyway)

• Like 1

Top Tip.

When executing a wash of the screen with headlights on and said headlight washers, just pull the wiper stalk and release, this then releases many litres of water onto the headlamps whilst the windscreen wipers are active, a lot of the screen wash that has hit the headlights is now heading at 60 mph towards the windscreen and is more than sufficient to wash the screen also.

Obviously only every 5th wash will do this (on a Yeti anyway)

This won't work on the O3 as all the screenwash from the headlight washers goes round the sides of the car and only hits the wing mirrors.... on the vRS at least...

Personally I use Water plus some Vodka which I steal from my teenage daughters stash....they never realise it has gone and I am saving them from drinking too much when they pre load before going Out or Out Out (their language not mine)...I have used Absinth before now but that was perhaps a little too strong!!!

Edited by f2names
  • Like 1

Years ago when I were a lad, I used to fill it up with water and a few spurts of vinegar, whats wrong with that, apart from the obvious freezing issues, being honest I usually have the screen wash filled at service time and never touch it, just use some good windscreen repellent and this drastically reduces the amount of crap attracted to the screen, then usually rain or morning dew is enough to keep it squeaky clean, if I need to use screen wash during a journey, I just squirt for about a second and that is more than enough to clean it, and use virtually no wash from the bottle.

Lol, I can't believe that a simple thing such as screen wash could raise such complicated talk of mix,type and price! All I remember from my years working in the motor trade was the cheap blue stuff would leave blue crusty stuff in the jets and the really cheap stuff would turn to snot!!!

I think my washers are working as per the manual?

I have copied the wording and pasted it here, is it me or is there something wrong with the wording?

"The headlights will be cleaned once the ignition is on and always upon the first

and after every tenth spraying of the windscreen, when the low beam is switched

on.

Every time the windscreen is cleaned represents the tenth time each headlight is

sprayed."

I have copied the wording and pasted it here, is it me or is there something wrong with the wording?

"The headlights will be cleaned once the ignition is on and always upon the first

on.

Every time the windscreen is cleaned represents the tenth time each headlight is

sprayed."

Mine washes the lights after 5 window cleans

OK from the manual "Every time the windscreen is cleaned represents the tenth time each headlight is sprayed"

Should the sentence be Every time the each headlight is sprayed represents the tenth time the windscreen is cleaned"

If you are going to use meth in the screen wash please make sure it's the correct type as crystal meth is not recommended. 

on.

sprayed."

Mine washes the lights after 5 window cleans

But yours isn't a MK3.....

• 2 weeks later...

I love my headlight washers and count 9 times and then wait as long as I can to wash the windscreen so that when a BMW driver gets within 2mm of my boot I let loose and several thousand litres of cheap '99p Stores' washer fluid sprays all over his hyper expensive car doing untold damage to his paintwork I expect :-) Smells like paraffin too so it's very manly

• Like 4

Guest Cossiecol

I love my headlight washers and count 9 times and then wait as long as I can to wash the windscreen so that when a BMW driver gets within 2mm of my boot I let loose and several thousand litres of cheap '99p Stores' washer fluid sprays all over his hyper expensive car doing untold damage to his paintwork I expect :-) Smells like paraffin too so it's very manly

Works just as good on convertibles :)

Agreed,

Works just as good on convertibles :)

certainly,

but nowhere near as good as it does on the RangeRover who got the full treatment earlier today when he tried to get close enough to read the small print on the bottom of my rear number plate. 

I had a BMW driver go mental at me a few weeks ago cause my headlight washers had gone off - horn and shaking of the fist occured.  Thing was it wasn't deliberate so it took me a moment to realise why he was so wound up - surely BMWs with xenon do the same thing?

What I want is a button to activate it whenever I want.  That way I could avoid soaking people, not so I could choose whether to soak the plonker of a motorcyclist that's 3mm from my back bumper on the outside lane of a motorway at 60mph when I'm stuck behind a van or the the daft cyclist that thinks it's sensible to undercut a queue of cars all turning left.

Edited by gullyg

• 11 months later...

I had a BMW driver go mental at me a few weeks ago cause my headlight washers had gone off - horn and shaking of the fist occured.  Thing was it wasn't deliberate so it took me a moment to realise why he was so wound up - surely BMWs with xenon do the same thing?

What I want is a button to activate it whenever I want.  That way I could avoid soaking people, not so I could choose whether to soak the plonker of a motorcyclist that's 3mm from my back bumper on the outside lane of a motorway at 60mph when I'm stuck behind a van or the the daft cyclist that thinks it's sensible to undercut a queue of cars all turning left.

My last 2 Subarus both had an independant headlight washer button. Very useful.

I can't understand why the headlights get an extra spray after the joint window/ headlight one. My mk2 didn't, plus it only sprayed the lights not as you say everyone around you. Must be embarrassing in a town close to pedestrians.

I can't understand why the headlights get an extra spray after the joint window/ headlight one. My mk2 didn't, plus it only sprayed the lights not as you say everyone around you. Must be embarrassing in a town close to pedestrians.

First spray loosens true dirt, second longer spray removes it.