Reliability/build quality issues?

One idea is to get an independent test on the brakes. Get your dealer to agree to pay for this if it proves they are substandard. Pay yourself if the report is OK and you get peace of mind back.

• Like 1

What about the other initial problems? The smell, and the misting windows? If they still arent fixed, then you have more of an argument.

Id definitely be complaining to SUK about the fact they chipped your windscreen and now refuse to accept liability.

When you took the car in the very first time, did they do a walk round check on your car to check for damage, and did they list anything down?  As far as I can see if the windscreen chip is listed on the check over note then its you responsibility, if it wasn't then its there problem, that form is to protect you and them, if they didn't do it then thats there problem.

The mechanical defects you mention, I would certainly take it to another dealer, not one of the same group, but a totally different dealer, your current dealer despite investigating etc will be suffering from 'not him again' syndrome, and no matter what people say they get fed up with the same car and the same problem being reported all the time, and I am sure that they don't investigate it as thoroughly as maybe they should do?  But, I would certainly go to another dealer.

I would also be noting down all the dates etc that you have had contact with your dealer about the continued problems, how many days the car has been in etc, and keep emailing Skoda UK with the details, updates etc also obviously contact the finance company too.

One thing I found out recently, not sure how true it is, but, Skoda/VW etc have a schedule of times for each particular job, so say they asses a part swap takes 1 hour, that is what Skoda will pay to the dealer, however, if that part takes slightly longer for whatever reason, then they won't get paid for any more of the time, even if it takes 2 hours, so maybe this is why the dealer is being awkward?  They are now not being paid for the faults to be investigated, replaced etc?

Its very frustrating when this sort of thing happen, and being brutally honest I find your story really is the exception, not the rule, I have always found Skoda Service to be of top quality, they have always listed down everything I have booked it in for, checked the problems, repaired or advised accordingly, my Bolero in my vRS a couple of years ago had a minor fault, occasionally it would just flick off and then back on for about 2 seconds, it wasn't a real problem as such, it was just a bit frustrating and not something that should be happening on a new car, so I booked it, later on they called and said they had ordered a replacement radio, they put that in, but doing it they had caused a the smallest of scratches on one of the trims, it was barely noticeable, but they weren't happy handing the car back with this fault, so they ordered a new piece in and replaced and gave me back the car.

It is always down to the dealer I find, some are better than others.

But, untimately, to reject the car you have to give the dealer and Skoda UK every chance to repair, diagnose the faults and put right everything you say is wrong, and to a satisfactory standard, to me thats where there is a problem, your definition and there definition of standard can be two vastly different things!  It can and probably will get messy if you go down that road.

I would certainly get another dealer to look at it, and then if they put it right then you can contact Skoda UK and list all of the problems, issues, inconvenience etc etc and see what happens?  

Because one person had a few minor issues with their car? Not sure that is the best informed decision ever made. :/

Well I guess you can't go wrong with a GTD.

Just prey it's not welded by the same robot that made my old Passat!, it had to spend 3 weeks in the body shop at only 3 weeks old, rebuilding the rear end below the parcel shelf! Took them 3 attempts to get it right, first two rejected by the dealers quality manager! Ended up being a right old Friday afternoon car, had new clutch, new turbo and several weeks laid up waiting for a new fuel tank pump, oh and it was the worst car I've had for rattles! Only saving grace is it was a 2006 model, so hopefully the robot has been retired and that model along with the Mk V Golf did have a reputation for poor build quality, if only everything in life was as reliable as a VW! Edited by Matt Pez

Personally I would prefer to purchase a skoda a octy or supa ( the wife says I won't be happy with any car unless its a skoda lol, I understand that the skoda dealerships are in flux at the moment so this may be the reason for some awful stories, I am waiting for an L&K octy but that may take a while

• Like 1

Fair enough. I was trying to make the point to seboni that they sell thousands and thousands of these cars and there is one guy (even if it was a few) in this forum who had a bad experience and that seemed to make him change his mind. It seems a bit 'naive' (I can't think of a better word).

Granted, you could have the same experience with a Mk7 GTD. Both of them are great cars and I don't think one bad experience (which incidentally we only have read one side of) shouldn't change your buying decision.

I honestly would like to purchase the octy but I've only had skodas for the last 30 years and 2 years ago I jumped ship and went to the golf , so I can make a comparison in dealer and quality and I'm 100% sure the vw has a better build, however the vw doesn't make me fizz like the skoda did

Personally I would prefer to purchase a skoda a octy or supa ( the wife says I won't be happy with any car unless its a skoda lol, I understand that the skoda dealerships are in flux at the moment so this may be the reason for some awful stories, I am waiting for an L&K octy but that may take a while

This may interest you...main article is the Scout but the last paras refer to the L&K...

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/skoda-octavia-scout-launch-2014

Edited by Matt Pez

When you took the car in the very first time, did they do a walk round check on your car to check for damage, and did they list anything down?  As far as I can see if the windscreen chip is listed on the check over note then its you responsibility, if it wasn't then its there problem, that form is to protect you and them, if they didn't do it then thats there problem.

The mechanical defects you mention, I would certainly take it to another dealer, not one of the same group, but a totally different dealer, your current dealer despite investigating etc will be suffering from 'not him again' syndrome, and no matter what people say they get fed up with the same car and the same problem being reported all the time, and I am sure that they don't investigate it as thoroughly as maybe they should do?  But, I would certainly go to another dealer.

I would also be noting down all the dates etc that you have had contact with your dealer about the continued problems, how many days the car has been in etc, and keep emailing Skoda UK with the details, updates etc also obviously contact the finance company too.

One thing I found out recently, not sure how true it is, but, Skoda/VW etc have a schedule of times for each particular job, so say they asses a part swap takes 1 hour, that is what Skoda will pay to the dealer, however, if that part takes slightly longer for whatever reason, then they won't get paid for any more of the time, even if it takes 2 hours, so maybe this is why the dealer is being awkward?  They are now not being paid for the faults to be investigated, replaced etc?

Its very frustrating when this sort of thing happen, and being brutally honest I find your story really is the exception, not the rule, I have always found Skoda Service to be of top quality, they have always listed down everything I have booked it in for, checked the problems, repaired or advised accordingly, my Bolero in my vRS a couple of years ago had a minor fault, occasionally it would just flick off and then back on for about 2 seconds, it wasn't a real problem as such, it was just a bit frustrating and not something that should be happening on a new car, so I booked it, later on they called and said they had ordered a replacement radio, they put that in, but doing it they had caused a the smallest of scratches on one of the trims, it was barely noticeable, but they weren't happy handing the car back with this fault, so they ordered a new piece in and replaced and gave me back the car.

It is always down to the dealer I find, some are better than others.

But, untimately, to reject the car you have to give the dealer and Skoda UK every chance to repair, diagnose the faults and put right everything you say is wrong, and to a satisfactory standard, to me thats where there is a problem, your definition and there definition of standard can be two vastly different things!  It can and probably will get messy if you go down that road.

I would certainly get another dealer to look at it, and then if they put it right then you can contact Skoda UK and list all of the problems, issues, inconvenience etc etc and see what happens?

They did do a walk around, and no damage was noted.

They've blamed it on it being "hard to see".

I can see why the dealer might be being awkward. I've got bad service, and I've caused problems for them because of it, and the constant returning of the car may get tiresome.

I'm not sure which way it's going to go now, as I still need to talk to SUK.

The other faults, I'm not sure are there or not. I've not really driven the car much (about 30miles since picking it up again) so I'll see how it goes.

The only thing I've noticed is the auto hold can be a bit picky, but I can't fathom out why, as it seems random in it's refusal to hold the car on an incline.

As far as I'm aware, this is the first mk3 in the country with this problem, so it's an unknown area for repair.

Honestly, I'd still buy another skoda. Rouge parts happen, but how's it's been dealt with so far has aggravated me slightly.

I have a few pictures I'll post up later of the "valet" my dealer gave the car however, and the extra trim damage they've caused washing it. It's laughable...

The only thing I've noticed is the auto hold can be a bit picky, but I can't fathom out why, as it seems random in it's refusal to hold the car on an incline.

As far as I'm aware, this is the first mk3 in the country with this problem, so it's an unknown area for repair...

You need to be on a grade >5% which equates to a gradient approx 1:20 in old money.

http://new.skoda-auto.com/en/models/HotspotDetail?HotspotName=C18+-+Asistent+rozjezdu+do+kopce+%5BFabia,Roomster,+Octavia,+Yeti,+Superb%5D&WebID=ae2ae2a8-0c6f-4493-9d23-38f65b4ea067&Page=technology&view=TechnologyComfort

You need to be on a grade >5% which equates to a gradient approx 1:20 in old money.&WebID=ae2ae2a8-0c6f-4493-9d23-38f65b4ea067&Page=technology&view=TechnologyComfort]http://new.skoda-auto.com/en/models/HotspotDetail?HotspotName=C18+-+Asistent+rozjezdu+do+kopce+[Fabia,Roomster,+Octavia,+Yeti,+Superb]&WebID=ae2ae2a8-0c6f-4493-9d23-38f65b4ea067&Page=technology&view=TechnologyComfort

It'll not do it randomly on slopes it has before, and then after a few tries it will...

Tried it in a car park and 2/10 times it wouldn't hold. Same slope, same place.

The worst isn't even shown.

The entire interior is like that, so is the glass.

The holograming I complained about on the window trims, is now added to by a few deep scratches.

Interior STANK of lavender, and is now fading to a stale smoke smell, awesome! (I don't smoke)

I'll get some photos of the trim later when I find the decent camera I use for college/work...

That is a disgusting state to hand a car back in. As for smoking in it, that is unforgivable and would ruin the car itself, for me anyway.

I can't be sure it's been smoked in. Just making that clear.

I've just been getting comments from my better half that the seats smell very much like stale smoke.

I've got two free valets from vindis, apparently. Not that I'll use them

...but why not. Surely if they have been reading this thread as you stated above, then they will make sure that the next valet will return the car in perfect condition?

Let's be honest...they can't make it any worse.

OMG, my 6 year old could make a better job of cleaning a car than that, they obviously just used a dirty wet sponge or something to wipe the interior, absolutely shocking!

They should give you a voucher for a fully professional detailer to sort it.