2014 F1 General Discussion Thread.

KenONeill

It is mind games and Nico is winning big time. More mature, concentrated on the job, helping the team out. I wish the Nico's box didn't give up the ghost. I was sitting at the Vale Corner Grand Stands and it was apparent Lewis was closing up on Nico lap by lap after pit stops - was hoping for some tasty overtaking there!

Wasn't to be unfortunately.

• Like 1

The problem with journalism is you can never tell whether things are being said tongue in cheek or not. Remember his "maybe it's because I'm black" comment when he was being called in front of the stewards for some pretty poor driving at the time? The press had a field day with it but if you saw the TV interview where he said it he had a smile and a small chuckle to himself, making a crap joke when the situation's pretty bleak is something we've probably all done on occasion.

Hamilton's comments are all most certainly tongue in cheek. It's just banter to get the press excited. He has no interest or benefit in making Nico a true real enemy. It won't help the team and it won't help him. A bit of banter however...

Stating, from experience and years of friendship, that Nico regarded himself as Monagasque rather than German is a reason to lose "remaining dregs of respect for Hamilton..."?

Says a lot more about your prejudice than anything else.

Stating, from experience and years of friendship, that Nico regarded himself as Monagasque rather than German is a reason to lose "remaining dregs of respect for Hamilton..."?

Says a lot more about your prejudice than anything else.

Wow, a personal foray!

As it happens I know Lewis Hamilton personally as well as his family and that is from times when he was still hoping to get to F1. He was a really nice chap. Big money unfortunately make big changes and in his case not for the better.

As for your comments towards me... enjoy yourself if that is what you go off on :)

Tongue in cheek comments? No, the frazeology he used means he's dead serious, this is how he talks when he means it and he always had a chip on his shoulder in this respect and that resentment of his formative years towards "the rich guys who had it easy" is deep rooted and he's not able to shake it off. This psychological deficiency efects his racing, which is sad. Maybe he will afterall grow out of it, I hope so since he has massive talent.

• 2 weeks later...

A good race IMO - sterling drive by Bottas again, well done to Hamilton for making ground up to 3rd and plenty of battles throughout the race. Although with plenty of pit stops and drivers on different strategies it made following it quite difficult at times. Credit to German TV who decided not to follow Rosberg much and concentrated on the action.

According to the BBC, "overtaking someone who's 20kph slower than you doesn't count", so surely Lewis is still stuck behind Max? ;-)

Yeah I thought it was pretty good, although it just goes to show how useless the mirrors are on F1 cars!

Funny you said that in the light of a comment Botas made "I could see his left front tyre graining in my mirrors" :).

Excellent race evr so slightly spoiled by the fact tha Virgin cable in my area had massive faults for the last few days and I had to watch the GP in the kitchen on postage stamp size terrestrial TV!

For me German GP had one of the best few laps in the history of F1 - fight between Alonso and Riccardo. It was all that racing should be all about, masterful control from both, wicked cunning lap after lap and absolutely no contact through however many overtaiking and re-passing manouvers -poetry!

• Like 3

A good race IMO - sterling drive by Bottas again, well done to Hamilton for making ground up to 3rd and plenty of battles throughout the race. Although with plenty of pit stops and drivers on different strategies it made following it quite difficult at times. Credit to German TV who decided not to follow Rosberg much and concentrated on the action.

I didn't think local broadcasters did the television anymore. I thought it was all in house with FOM?
  • Like 2

Yup, great race imo too. Decent drive from Hamilton from the back, pushed his luck a few times but thats racing. He really isnt having much luck, I'd rather see the pair of the battle every race than one dust off alone.

Kimi in the Vettel/Alonso sarnie was a good one, Massa not having much luck at the moment. I also enjoyed the Alonso vs Ricciardo battle, they sound like they both enjoyed it too. Ricciardo & Bottas are the two that are seriously impressing me this season, I've championed him since before he was in F1, now he has half decent wheels under him he is showing what he can do, cool, calm and professional, both he and Ricciardo are driving with more maturity than they should by rights. If they get the break they need, both WDC material I reckon. 

Looking forward to the next race, dont forget guys its next weekend! 

• Like 1

Lewis is his own worst enemy ... he beats himself up too much for making mistakes. He should just stay cool (his words) and get on with the job. Still that's the way he is and you cant change that.

F1 is now won in the pits, why bother going around and round for 60+ laps.

I'd sort it in 3 

Out lap, pit lap, final lap, fastest pit stop wins.

Think of all the fuel you'd save and if they made the drivers pay for al the damage they do they might drive a bit more carefully 

That is all,............. Moto GP , now thats a different ball game

Lewis is his own worst enemy ... he beats himself up too much for making mistakes. He should just stay cool (his words) and get on with the job. Still that's the way he is and you cant change that.

Couldn't agree more. However, I do not blame him really, his father Anthony should be thanked for that...

Really? What is it, 9 rounds gone and the same man on the top spot in EVERY race?

(I actually love Moto GP and in Marquez we are watching the emergence of one of the greatest riders the world will ever see, and the best bit is that we know this with foresight and can watch it unfold rather than looking back and thinking 'he was special').

Really? What is it, 9 rounds gone and the same man on the top spot in EVERY race?

(I actually love Moto GP and in Marquez we are watching the emergence of one of the greatest riders the world will ever see, and the best bit is that we know this with foresight and can watch it unfold rather than looking back and thinking 'he was special').

Mmmmm..............Vettell springs to mind.

How many sports do you get when a rider is throw off or drops his bike at 190+mph and his first thought is to remount and get back in the race.

How many sports do you get when a rider is throw off or drops his bike at 190+mph and his first thought is to remount and get back in the race.

Brilliant isn't it! Footballers could learn a lot about manning up from Moto GP riders.

F1 is now won in the pits, why bother going around and round for 60+ laps.

I'd sort it in 3

Out lap, pit lap, final lap, fastest pit stop wins.

Think of all the fuel you'd save and if they made the drivers pay for al the damage they do they might drive a bit more carefully

*looks for yawn smiley*

I don't understand the won in the pits comment tbh?

I appreciate all forms of Motorsport tbh, F1, BTCC, Moto GP, BSB etc. they're all good in their own way tbh.

Yeah they don't get thrown out the car but 40 odd G's then back in the car the next day is impressive IMO.

Well if Hamilton wins the world championship this year, it won't be down to luck. How much more bad luck can he get this year?