2014 F1 General Discussion Thread.

KenONeill

I think Massa was signed on a multi-year deal already and he's up against a future superstar I reckon.

So next year we could promote which young drivers?

Indycars -    Simon Pagenaud

NASCAR -   Joey Logano

FR3.5 -       Carlos Sainz jr

GP2 -          Stoffel Vandoorne

LMP1 -        Brendon Hartley

some of these have got to be better than the dead wood.

I'm not sure it matters. Fast talented disciplined drivers ready to turn it up to 11, How many drivers have failed to progress up the grid through lack of options. The churn of driver turn over needs to be higher, when you think a team like Lotus have circa 700 employee's all focused on prepping two cars and then Maldonado repeatedly throws it in the barriers?

So getting "the rent we think the site is worth" is more important than 200 jobs then? Is there anyone reading this who can withdraw some business from Smith Williamson?

In the real world, yes the jobs are important, the most important element, but unfortunately in the eyes of the administrators they are worthless and won't pay the suppliers. It's clear that the monies owed were against the original company (Caterham Sports Ltd) that was being wound up - the problem now is that they supplied 1MRT (the racing entity) - which company actually owned the assets. If they weren't sold onto 1MRT at reasonable market value then they will come under the scrutiny of the administrators. Really smells of IP stripping by a certain entity - strange how Christian Albers got out when he did, did he rumble what was happening? It's all very confusing and ridiculous with lots of rich guys arguing amongst themselves whilst the hard working employees lose out.

Lot of noise on Twitter about the whole situation including Tony Fernandes who tweeted "If you buy something you should pay for it. Quite simple"

In the real world, yes the jobs are important, the most important element, but unfortunately in the eyes of the administrators they are worthless and won't pay the suppliers. It's clear that the monies owed were against the original company (Caterham Sports Ltd) that was being wound up - the problem now is that they supplied 1MRT (the racing entity) - which company actually owned the assets. If they weren't sold onto 1MRT at reasonable market value then they will come under the scrutiny of the administrators. Really smells of IP stripping by a certain entity - strange how Christian Albers got out when he did, did he rumble what was happening? It's all very confusing and ridiculous with lots of rich guys arguing amongst themselves whilst the hard working employees lose out.

Lot of noise on Twitter about the whole situation including Tony Fernandes who tweeted "If you buy something you should pay for it. Quite simple"

The way it read it wasn't even that SW weren't being paid; it was just that they weren't being paid as much as they wanted right now

Oh now we're talking. I'd bin off;

Chilton

Ericsson

Crashdonado

Sutil

Chilton is as others have said only there because of dad's dolla. Ericsson is out of his depth, Sutil impressed me in his first season back but seems to have lost his sparkle, I know the cars **** but still. Maldonado is just crap full stop.

Massa I'm not a fan of but I reckon him and Bottas make a good team of experience vs eagerness. Raikkonen I think just needs to settle a bit, he still shows glimmers of his old self. I'd love for him to smash Vettel next year.

I hope Lotus give Grosjean a decent motor next year, Merc engines will help but they still need to do more than just that.

The way it read it wasn't even that SW weren't being paid; it was just that they weren't being paid as much as they wanted right now

The problem is we don't know the full facts behind the situation. If a company is renting the site then there will be an agreement and a contract. I had a customer that I moved all of his machinery to another site because he told me the landlord wanted to double the rent. I later found out that the landlord had given him three years at half rent while he got the business going with an agreement that after the three years was up then the rent would go to normal price.

It's possible in this case that Caterham owe rent and Smith & Williamson are trying to get their money by an agreement, which Caterham can't match. It also appears that Caterham owe their suppliers £20 million, so If I was Smith & Williamson I would be nervous.

New drivers to promote.

SVD from GP2 - I think Palmer too. People don't seem to rate him, but he's been class of the field this year.

Anyone who saw watched any Formula Ford UK last season will remember Dan Cammish... He won every race he entered. It'd be great to see him a bit higher up.

I'm excited to see if Verstappen is any good too.

New drivers to promote.

SVD from GP2 - I think Palmer too. People don't seem to rate him, but he's been class of the field this year.

Anyone who saw watched any Formula Ford UK last season will remember Dan Cammish... He won every race he entered. It'd be great to see him a bit higher up.

I'm excited to see if Verstappen is any good too.

I think people don't rate slow learners in GP2 - if it takes 4 years to win you're not going to cut it in F1

• Like 1

S&W seem like typical leeches of this world, vultures descending on still alive body ... it was disgusting to see Catheram ppl not being let in...

S&W have been appointed to deal with the administration of Caterham, this is because Caterham owe an estimated £12- 15 million to its suppliers. Some of those suppliers might have to lay off staff if they don't get their money. 

S&W have been appointed to deal with the administration of Caterham, this is because Caterham owe an estimated £12- 15 million to its suppliers. Some of those suppliers might have to lay off staff if they don't get their money. 

"Caterham" is actually a group of companies, not all of which are in debt. AIUI S&W have locked one of the companies not in debt out of their works. 

"Caterham" is actually a group of companies, not all of which are in debt. AIUI S&W have locked one of the companies not in debt out of their works. 

Looks like the whole set up is debt. 

http://talksport.com/f1/caterham-formula-one-team-formally-enter-administration-141024120627