Tyre Pressure Sensor

Grumpy Geaser

Hi Folks,

Does anyone know if you can retrofit the tyre pressure sensor option? My dealer says it can't be retrofitted (only factory build) - I'm curious as it seems to be software and a 'calibration' switch. Is the system more complex than I think? I had a similar system some time ago (Mercedes) and it used the ABS sensors to measure wheel rotation - you pressed calibrate after inflating the tyres and it flashed up if one of the wheels changed it's rotation relative to the others.

Interested to hear any thoughts.

Grumpy

The Yeti TPM system also uses the tyre rotation via the ABS sensors as it's measurement system. 

I suspect your dealer is correct in that he can't "switch it on" as his system wont allow it. Whether it can be done via the VCDS system, or whether extra parts are needed I don't know.

I've noticed it mentioned in several places in VCDS but strangely none of mine where ticked despite having the button fitted.

I really must test it at the weekend!

Come and visit Herefordshire, and our famous potholes ........ You may be testing it sooner than you think then...

I'm guessing its basically the same as the Octavia: push button & wires to earth, illumination, power, and ABS controller!

As you said, it's only a cue to recalibrate the readings from the ABS sensors.

As long as you can get hold of the switch, you can retro fit it by making up your own wires. VCDS will be needed to activate it all.

I'm guessing its basically the same as the Octavia: push button & wires to earth, illumination, power, and ABS controller!

As you said, it's only a cue to recalibrate the readings from the ABS sensors.

As long as you can get hold of the switch, you can retro fit it by making up your own wires. VCDS will be needed to activate it all.

Of course that assumes that you already have a compatible ABS controller fitted to your car. Eddie_NL changed this on his Octavia, so that could be done as well.

I use TPMS programmed through VCDS, I reset it via VCDS too so I didn't retro-fit the switch. It works very well enough to notice when new tyres are fitted. It's worth buying the VCDS cable for all the things which can be enabled and the diagnostics capability, I'm not sure which version you need to enable the later module coding, eBay has lots of VDCS cables, some of which are legal........

I use TPMS programmed through VCDS, I reset it via VCDS too so I didn't retro-fit the switch. It works very well enough to notice when new tyres are fitted. It's worth buying the VCDS cable for all the things which can be enabled and the diagnostics capability, I'm not sure which version you need to enable the later module coding, eBay has lots of VDCS cables, some of which are legal........

I believe this Forum has very strict rules about advertising non RossTech VCDS cables, especially as many of them are known to have caused problems with the software!

Just to be clear, I wasn't advertising anything, I use a Ross-Tech cable, hence it can code any module as I get all updates. I was pointing out that some cables sold on fleabay may not be legal and therefore may not be able to code the required modules. Legal VCDS cables can be bought on eBay, you just need to read the descriptions very carefully.

I'm not sure what part of my previous post constituted advertising.

• Like 1

Thanks guys

Amazing how difficult potentially simple things can become with modern cars. My dealer told me (before I bought a Yeti) how they could retrofit most things - he specifically mentioned cruise control. If they can??? do that then the true pressure retrofit should be simple - I would have thought.

Nice to have the thoughts and info.

Many thanks

Grumpy

• 6 years later...
3 hours ago, laur said:

I have a Yeti since 2011. Can i activated tpms with vcsd? it shown on maxidot later a low preassure or what?

VCDS can probably enable TPMS depending which ABS module you have installed. It will warn of low pressure on the maxidot but not tell you which tyre is low :)

3 hours ago, laur said:

I have a Yeti since 2011. Can i activated tpms with vcsd? it shown on maxidot later a low preassure or what?

How could that happen?
How would it be reset without a TPMS button and other things later models have?

If you have the correct ABS module then it can be turned on via VCDS. The tyre pressure error will show on the instrument cluster light and there's an audible warning. Reset is possible via a maxidot menu option which can be enabled via VCDS. There is a thread on here somewhere detailing the coding necessary.

John