Clarkson reckons all car enthusiasts should own an Alfa - have you?

Huwcymru

I've heard this said quite a few times and I looked at them through the eighties and nineties and never had the nerve to buy one. Around that time I got to know someone with a three litre 75 in which he did mega mileage and loved. My mate maintained it and initially hated it but in the end he reckoned it was just different. For example it was a drop the rear axle job to change the rear ( inboard) disk pads. In the end he reckoned that it was a quick easy job once he was familiar with it.

I bought a 2 year old 156 in about 2001, it was red ( the colour God meant sporting cars to be), with red leather and a wooden wheel and dash. The 2litre twin cam revved to 8000 allowing you to accelerate around a roundabout and if necessary change into second as you left it.

Despite predictions of doom from my friends I did 75000 miles in three years and other than routine stuff (it was serviced in a back street garage) the only faults were a replacement MAF sensor and a wiper motor.

The allegedly reliable 2 year old Volvo C70 which replaced it gave me more problems in my first three months of ownership including a far more expensive MAF sensor (luckily under warranty) than the Alfa did in three years.

There is often a load of fiction/bigotry about Marques, often spouted by the motoring press. Anyone else out there owned an Alfa/Alfas?

• Like 1

I've often had test drives in the latest models  but never bought one, always ended up with a Mr Conservative car.

The strange thing is, there are only 2 cars in the Alfa range, what's going on there?

Edited by Soot1e

For a short while (6 months) I owned an Alfa 156 2.5 V6 Q-System (auto 4 speed box with H shifter not the Flappy paddle Sportronic crap!), bought as a Cat D write off and I repaired it.

ended up selling it as i spent alot on it leaving me without the funds to get it insured on the road.

Absolutely loved it. Im waiting for the day when i can afford another.

Either a 156 2.5 V6 manual or a Phase 2 Alfa GTV 3.0 V6 from around '98/99

• Like 3

First car was an X Reg Silver 156 Sportwagon 1.6 Twinspark Lusso.

Loved it to bits, still the best steering feel of any car I have owned with barely a full turn from lock to lock it needed hardly any input to make it start turning.  Beautiful leather interior.  The little 1.6 put out 120bhp and was an utter rev monster, loved the styling of the hidden rear door handles.  Apart from being a shade thirsty by modern standards it never gave me a problem.  Aircon was a bit asthmatic.

Alfa_Romeo_156_Sportwagon_rear_20071004.

• Like 3

I've had a few not in order just as I remember them

1, 155 wide body V6

2, Montreal

3, GTV6

would entertain a nice 2600 touring spider (if I could only find a good one for reasonable money, has to be in black though)

Nah, I spend my money on much more un reliable cars :giggle:

An Alfa is certainly on the bucket list - probably a 3.2 V6 Brera or a classic Spider

The 3.2 V6 Brera was a GM V6, yuck! the GT, 156, 147, GTV/Spider and previous had the Alfa V6 ;)

Lived with a (red) 156 Sportwagon when I was in Cyprus. Other than the dodgy solenoid it worked like a charm and it took a hell of a beating on the roads of Paphos. 

• Like 1

we had a Sud too, it was scrapped after 4 years with a completely rotten shell, only did 36,000 miles, sad really.  New Alfa's are just rebadged Fiats and not a car I would consider, even worse is the Mito. a Corsa with an Alfa badge :wonder:  

I'd love a Brera, used to be a parts manager for a Fiat dealer, and we had one in the showroom... too pricey for an ex demo though! My friends just bought a Brera for his other half 3.2! 

Mum used to have a 164 v6 - really Retro! I took it out for a spin once, it was so quick. I almost bought it off her to keep but she sold it for £300! It had everything and was still working. 

It looked just like this - 

kb164_164superrot.jpg

• Like 1

Nope but had a mate with a 156 then a Brera 2.4d. He was happy and didn't have much bother. Didn't have the Brera long but he had the 156 for 4yr I think.

He's driven Audis and now BMW since though.

My next car's going to be a Guilietta, unless SWMBO declares it a bad choice. Not having a Mk3 vRS as the interior is downmarket on the current one and I'm annoyed they can't be a*****d to swap the bonnet release and handbrake over, like they have in the mk2. 

Just done a test drive in a diesel 13 plate Giulietta, salesman couldn't tell what engine it was and said it was way down on power, whilst trying to fix the dashtop bin that was broken , no thanks .

I've often had test drives in the latest models  but never bought one, always ended up with a Mr Conservative car.

The strange thing is, there are only 2 cars in the Alfa range, what's going on there?

The next Spider will be out before too long, which is a reskinned MX5 with an Alfa engine - should be a cracker.

The other one due is the Giulia which is Octavia sized.

Ah, an Alfa topic :D

I've now owned 3, two in 156 guise and a 147 - combination of 2 litre twinnys and a proper busso v6. Also driven a number of others. Very hard to describe exactly what makes these so special, there's just an Alfa-ness about them. They handle beautifully and just quicken your pulse somehow :)

Expensive to run and maintain for what they are, but I would have another one in a heartbeat.

The newer 159/Brera era cars might look fantastic but they don't drive anything like as well and the engines aren't great. Generic GM tosh. The brand has lost it's way somehow in recent years.

Oh and they are no more or less reliable than any other modern car. Complete balls. Much like the idea that Skodas only have a rear window to keep your hands warm when you push them... People I've worked with have had many more problems with BMWs, Audis and even one Honda than I had in 150k+ of joyful Alfa motoring - they just need to be serviced properly and to schedule.

• Like 1

My brother had a used Alfa, a 147 I think it was. I told him not to get an Alfa. The Alfa shat it's load and died. I had to collect it from some farm track in Boarhunt. There were many other dead Alfas on the front lawn, side, garage and at the back.

• Like 1

My brother had a used Alfa, a 147 I think it was. I told him not to get an Alfa. The Alfa shat it's load and died. I had to collect it from some farm track in Boarhunt. There were many other dead Alfas on the front lawn, side, garage and at the back.

Mike still has a load of Alfas all around his bungalow in Boarhunt, along with a few masaratis as well.

I currently have a Giulietta, and my wife has a 2008 spider. Both cracking cars...

• Like 1