2:58 - Anyone we know?

Been round in a car on a bike and in the Ring Taxi, IMHO the best by far is the Ring Taxi as the other options I spent more time looking in my mirrors for the seriously fast people and the nutters. 

I guess it has to be done though but with little or no run off areas, no insurance cover and having to pay for repairs, cleaning up and loss of revenue it could prove very, very expensive!

Good to go and watch though and it's in a really nice part of Germany.

• Like 2

Those barriers are too close. I know it is not a proper track but one mistake and you are done.

Trouble is that it is a proper race track as endurance races still take place there and it was the German F1 circuit until the New Ring was built, F1 racing was stopped after Niki Lauda nearly met his maker there following an huge crash. 

You are reasonably OK if you treat it with a great deal of respect and keep to the right-hand side of the track with your right indicator on as all overtaking is on the left.

A lap in 2014 is €27 which makes it an expensive business IMHO although discounts are available for multiple laps.

The following statement always focuses the mind, it's taken from the "Rules" : - 

4 - Liability and damage

1) Nurburgring GmbH shall have no liability whatsoever.

2) Accidents as well as any damage to the track, the verges, the fences, the crash barriers or any other Nürburgring property must be reported to the staff of the Nürburgring GmbH. The cost of repairing any damage and of any track closure must be paid by the person responsible. The cost per hour can be viewed on request.

If that doesn't put you off then have a go, you know you want to.................. :happy:

Edited by Prykey
  • Like 2

And a couple of good examples of ABS getting them out of the brown stuff!

While I don't have any real desire to drive my car there I have to say a lot of the crashes are a complete lack of driver ability/training.

And a couple of good examples of ABS getting them out of the brown stuff!

I have driven the ring with no issues whatsoever, and was a much calmer and safer place when I was on there than a castle coomb open day! I think , in all honesty, like ALL tracks, you are only going to crash if you are being a ****, or driving outside your ability ..... I didn't go for a lap time at all, as I was simply letting the faster cars past ;) keep your wits about you, pay attention, and all is well ;)

• Like 1

The GT-R driver at 1.51 had good reactions too. I only  managed half a fast  lap when someone had been fatally injured ahead . Too much, "well I have gone round a thousand times on playstation so I know the track "!  ----------- previously  Posted by Mr Rooney on the 

Nürburgring thread 

• Like 3

is this a trick :) video doesn't go to 1:51

Edit: my bad, you mean the original vid. Sorry

The GT-R would probably be my car of choice if faced with having to pull those manoeuvres, hyper modern four wheel drive, agile and chock full of driver aids.

Who said a Fabia doesn't handle? That yellow one showed some agility. :rofl:

The person that had the off was a complete idiot he nearly had the Fabia and the Biker absolutely no common sense at all!

Thats gt-r almost certainly had the electronics helping it there. Was brilliant how it went from sliding sideways to going around that car though

I feel some of those fwd cars wouldnt of crashed if theyd kept their foot on the accelerator and not panicked and stood on the brake. They could of let the front wheels pull the back out of trouble

I've driven it myself, done about 100 laps or so mostly in a 2001 MK1 Octy vRS, without any incident at all. Also driven it in a 2000 Boxster S, and a 1997 2.0 Zetec Mondeo MK2 Automatic.

The place is very dangerous, and the drivers in the first clip are obviously driving outside their means and control. Accidents do happen, and indeed there was a motorcycle fatal on one visit. People do die at the ring, its actually quiet common.

The track is also popular with coach tours, there is nothing like coming round a corner at 100mph+ and suddenly be confronted by a 56 seater coach doing less than 40mph going up a steep hill. The ring is very hilly, and the height difference between the lowest and highest point is large.

I've driven it myself, done about 100 laps or so mostly in a 2001 MK1 Octy vRS, without any incident at all. Also driven it in a 2000 Boxster S, and a 1997 2.0 Zetec Mondeo MK2 Automatic.

The place is very dangerous, and the drivers in the first clip are obviously driving outside their means and control. Accidents do happen, and indeed there was a motorcycle fatal on one visit. People do die at the ring, its actually quiet common.

The track is also popular with coach tours, there is nothing like coming round a corner at 100mph+ and suddenly be confronted by a 56 seater coach doing less than 40mph going up a steep hill. The ring is very hilly, and the height difference between the lowest and highest point is large.

Something like 1000 ft

http://www.nurburgring.org.uk/altitude-profile.jpg

Edited by Prykey

Well the more I read, even with sensible driving, the more I believe the track is dangerous because of the too many blind corners, hills and drivers pushing their luck. On every circuit I've been if you are driving like an ass they kick you out, they create the teams depending on your car and experience, there is always a proper briefing before (not sure what happens on the Nring, please let me know) and no one gets in the track without a helmet and fire extinguisher. Still I believe it is not a proper track but more of an "exotic" track with rules of its own, if any.

Unless I was a millionaire with money to spunk, I would never take a decent car.

Buy a ****ter for £100, gut it, slap some military paint on it... a little tuning... go bananas on-track. If you bin it, you'd probably get your money back by breaking it for parts. Nothing lost.

It simply isn't worth the risk taking a nice car.

• Like 1

I have no doubt that a lot of these people are ones who have gone around the ring in some game and think their real car will handle the same way as the one in the game.

It was very much a real track and even at the time it was used for F1 it was considered very dangerous. Cars with no downforce used to go around it in all weather and if you crashed, just pray someone saw it and you could afford to wait 15 minutes for a rescue.

Id love to go round it on a bike. I simply dont trust other drivers. Although its easy to lose most cars on the straights, i wouldnt feel safe turning into the corners with others behind.

Maybe one day ill pluck up the courage haha

Id love to go round it on a bike. I simply dont trust other drivers. Although its easy to lose most cars on the straights, i wouldnt feel safe turning into the corners with others behind.

Maybe one day ill pluck up the courage haha

If you want to do it on a bike, BMW Motorad do a bikes only day. They take over the whole circuit.

As you would expect, it's an organised affair, but you still get the odd nutter like any track day.

Still far safer than mixing with cars and buses though.

Oh, and by the way, the ring isn't a race track.

It used to be in Nikki Lauda and James Hunt's day but it is now a toll road that happens to go round in a circle.