Pasty Wagon Accident

PastyBoy

• 1 month later...

None whatsoever

Spoke to Equity Red Star again a couple of weeks ago on my now diarised "it's-been-another-month-what's-going-on? phone call" and they had nothing new.

They'd sent a long letter back to the third party's insurance saying they refused to settle at 50/50 and went into great lengths about the reasons why and have heard nothing whatsoever.

I've also heard nothing from the third party about a court summons or anything so that seems to have been an empty threat.

All we're really waiting for is the third party's insurer to pony up accept liability and close the case.

As yet they seem reluctant to do so; but they also don't seem to want to do anything else to push things forward either.

I can do nothing but continue chasing at regular intervals which is (as far as I am told) is exactly what Equity Red Star are doing from their end.

Going to be very very VERY angry if this does drag out long enough to affect my renewal in December.

They won't pay up until a few days before they get taken to court by your insurers.

Until then, they are saving a payout.

No ongoing costs like car hire etc...

• Like 1

There's nothing for them to pay up for though.

I've had my settlement and they've already paid that; and from what my insurers are saying there's no way they can claim that back.

They want 50/50 on the writing off of her Discovery - £1400 split down to £700. 

Obviously my guys are said no.

They threatened court proceedings.

We said no our argument stands and haven't heard anything since.

Surely you'd think they'd either swallow it and move on or issue court summons!

The slow laborious and tedious way of insurance claims

There's nothing for them to pay up for though.

I've had my settlement and they've already paid that; and from what my insurers are saying there's no way they can claim that back.

They want 50/50 on the writing off of her Discovery - £1400 split down to £700. 

Obviously my guys are said no.

They threatened court proceedings.

We said no our argument stands and haven't heard anything since.

Surely you'd think they'd either swallow it and move on or issue court summons!

The slow laborious and tedious way of insurance claims

Sorry to hear this story. Thanks for putting it all up here though, a useful reference. Hope you get it sorted.

A couple weeks back my mrs car got minor rear end damage from some dozy **** who drove up the back of her. dozy **** gave false details, police not interested, pursued claim with insurance but then realised, due to stories like this, highly likely to be contested as no photos, no witnesses so backed down. Luckily enough in our case the damage was minor enough (small dent, no structural damage) to not to have to go through the insurance. Might pursue it myself by getting the details off the DVLA, if I can be bothered dealing with the arse that did it.

Really frustrating though the dishonesty of many of the people on the road and the insurers trying to worm their way out of everything. You would have thought that this was clear cut!

Best of luck with getting it all sorted

• Like 1

I think you're gonna be waiting a while yet mate, I'm up to 10 months with mine and still not settled. Last I heard was from my solicitor a month ago to finalise the defence case to submit to the court and now we have to wait for the court to decide on a date or even if they'll entertain a hearing. My solicitor also read through the fairy tale the other side had submitted. Apparently one of the reasons they think collision occured is because I didn't check my mirrors. How they would know what I'm doing with my mirrors and the relevance of what's behind me during a head on collision is totally beyond me, but whatever.

If it's still not settled by the time your renewal comes up, it is very likely to cause you agro unfortunately. I've just had a renewal on the Octavia, which is on a different policy to the vehicle which I had the crash in, and I couldn't get anyone to beat the renewal quote because when I told them I've had an accident which is still unsettled, they didn't want to know, even though they all agreed that a head on collision on a single track road with no independant witnesses pretty much always goes 50/50.  So basically I couldn't haggle down my renewal at all and had to go with the first price.

I guess insurance companies don't like the unknown.

Good luck.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi-ho

Hi-ho

It's off to court we go

I chased my insurers last week to be told there had been no movement since my last call but it was diarised to be chased on Monday (yesterday) 

This morning a letter issuing proceedings has landed on my door mat.

deep joy

Time for a he said she said my non-existent witness said battle

deep freaking joy

Hi-ho

Hi-ho

It's off to court we go

I chased my insurers last week to be told there had been no movement since my last call but it was diarised to be chased on Monday (yesterday)

deep joy

deep freaking joy

Oh dear Pastyboy, well best of luck with it

I'm just surprised there isn't more accidents there. What you've described doing is perfectly acceptable in my opinion. Everyone does it, from both directions of travel too! 

I hope you succeed in your claims, it'll give me someone to wave to should we cross paths! 

Only 13 days to get an offer, that's pretty damn quick for insurance companies.

I had an offer same day after sending photos of crashed car (missus' car into a lamp post!) to the insurance company - they didn't even bother in sending an engineer! Wrote it off instantly!

Edited by trebormint

I travel on Shurdington Road everyday, that junction is a nightmare to pull out from!

Sorry to hear about your accident, and was such a long time ago!  Talk about it being dragged out.

Whereabouts on the Shurdington Road was the accident?

I remember the Shurdington Road when I was learning to drive. Driven down it a few times since.

It's a busy road with a lot going on most of the time. Based from the pictures and the description before I think it with the junction of Badgeworth Lane.

I would be interested to know where this independent witness came from, and/or whether they will turn up at court?

When are you likely to know further information? (Without asking for the court date directly)

Good luck with the result. It's horrible when someone isn't taking the blame, and tries to give some nasty tactics.

Hi-ho

Hi-ho

It's off to court we go

deep joy

deep freaking joy

One side will probably pull out the day before court to save costs... but you never know.

Have you bought a "dash cam" yet?

• Like 1

I think this is the most important lesson here. Even if it proves you in the wrong, there's no he-said-she-said back and forth over months and you can get on with your life.

Whereabouts on the Shurdington Road was the accident?

Based from the pictures and the description before I think it with the junction of Badgeworth Lane.

I would be interested to know where this independent witness came from, and/or whether they will turn up at court?

When are you likely to know further information? (Without asking for the court date directly)

Good luck with the result. It's horrible when someone isn't taking the blame, and tries to give some nasty tactics.

Indeed it was the junction with Badgeworth Lane just Cheltenham side of the Endsleigh site.

As per the very beginning of the thread (and the true account of what happened) the car in front of me indicates left and moves into "slip road". They suddenly slow dramatically (which i can but assume is accompanied by flashed third party out) as they are 75% off out of my lane of the main road I continue around them and she pulls out into the side of me.

Apparently her claim is I conducted a wild over take on the wrong side of the road putting me somewhere i shouldn't have been which is why she crashed into me.

The witness is so-say the person driving the car in front of me, although during the 45 minutes or so while we cleared the road made sureeach other were ok and exchanged details they didn't present themselves so who knows how they got tracked down.

One side will probably pull out the day before court to save costs... but you never know.

Who knows Rich

I pressed them hard for some time of timescale this morning to try and find out if i can expect it to be sorted before my Christmas renewal and was told it was unlikely.

We'll see what the colicitors and courts come up with.

I shall remain in limbo for the time being.

and no. no dash cam yet.

I'm waiting until this is sorted.

If it settles in my favour i'll probably retain my faith in the system (and maybe back it up with a dash cam just in case) if it goes against me i'll by a cam on the way back from court.

and no. no dash cam yet.

I'm waiting until this is sorted.

If it settles in my favour i'll probably retain my faith in the system (and maybe back it up with a dash cam just in case) if it goes against me i'll by a cam on the way back from court.

Sorry... :D

• Like 2