Removing steering wheel

There's a nack to getting the airbag off - take care with the wiring, as bag prone to dropping out when unclipped and snapping the wires - also disconnect battery! Then behind that there's a big spline bolt - something like M12 to undo.  That's it.  :thumbup:

I've taken the bag on and off about 8 times and yet to bother removing the battery, cant be bothered to reset clocks/windows and loose mpg from the dash. It'll take more than unplugging it to set it off but no harm to be had removing it I guess. 

Turn wheel 90 degrees left

Use small screwdriver to ram in the hole to the rear and push the clip off the airbag

Rotate wheel 180 degrees to get the other side - Video: 

Carefully removed airbag and unplug

Undo massive spline bolt and pull off the wheel! 

BOSH! 

Dont drive anywhere without a steering wheel, apparently its not safe. 

• Like 3

I've taken the bag on and off about 8 times and yet to bother removing the battery, cant be bothered to reset clocks/windows and loose mpg from the dash. It'll take more than unplugging it to set it off but no harm to be had removing it I guess.

Turn wheel 90 degrees left

Use small screwdriver to ram in the hole to the rear and push the clip off the airbag

Rotate wheel 180 degrees to get the other side - Video:

Carefully removed airbag and unplug

Undo massive spline bolt and pull off the wheel!

BOSH!

Dont drive anywhere without a steering wheel, apparently its not safe.

that simple mate? Does the indicator ring or anything not have anything to do with the wheel? I had a nightmare putting a momo on my old 106 because of the ring bit and ended up just hacking it off lol !

Forgive my apparent naivety on this, not seeking to lecture, but shouldn't you always disconnect the battery ?

That is something I'd always be doing when disconnecting the airbag.

I'm sure the relative risk is infinitesimally small, but they do tell you to disconnect the battery and leave 30 mins or something when removing the airbag so that's something I would always do personally.

What could cause it to fire (prematurely lol) ? It is explosive and forgive me for a being a woosy but I do handle it like a demolitions engineer when I remove the airbag :rofl:

Oh and the removal is dead easy, but I think its definitely one of those jobs you want to "think ahead" and check everything in advance of removal - and not like I did today with a broken toilet handle where I replaced the calcium deposited C pin and it dropped down into the cistern with almost no chance of recovery

Think about...steering position....wheel sensor ring position (for abs etc). It was all covered on the old Fabia vrs site for retrofitting cruise also if thats of any help. You might be able to get at that still here

http://web.archive.org/web/20120420114550/http://www.fabia-vrs.com/technical-info/cruise-control-retrofit/

Depending on what you are doing you might only need part of the steps e.g.

"Method

Disconnect the battery negative lead and place it clear of the battery – Before commencing the following steps ensure you allow any residual electrical current to dissipate.

Push back the front seats to give you some space.

Remove the airbag from the steering wheel – this can be dangerous, only proceed if you are sure you know what you are doing!!

To remove the airbag turn the steering wheel to one side so that it is 90 degrees from the straight ahead position, feeling behind the steering wheel you should locate a small hole.

Push a small flat bladed approximately 175mm long screwdriver into the hole and lever it upwards away from the steering column to release the spring clip, you should be able to pull that end of the airbag forward.

Rotate the steering wheel 180 degrees and locate the second hole in the steering wheel, carry out the same procedure again to release the spring clip.

Gently pull the airbag away from the steering wheel to reveal the firing wire. Carefully release the yellow plug from the airbag and place the airbag to one side in a safe place.

Put the steering wheel back to the wheels straight ahead position.

Using the permanent marker pen put a mark on the steering wheel retaining bolt and the steering wheel, this will help you to re-position the bolt later.
1_cruise5

Hold the wheel tightly, not just on the steering lock, use the M12 splined tool to remove the bolt.

Again using the permanent marker, place a marker line on the steering column shaft and the inside of the wheel, this will help you to re-position the steering wheel later
2_cruise63_cruise7

Inside the steering wheel hub there is a small yellow plug, remove this.

Remove the steering wheel and place it away from you in a safe place.

Remove the steering column housing by undoing the two philips head screws from underneath, two philips head screws facing you and the allen screw tucked away under the steering wheel reach/rake adjustment.
4_cruise11
6_cruise14
7_cruise12
8_cruise13

There is also a felt trim attached to the top section which can be removed by releasing the spring clips near the dash pod.
9_cruise15
10_cruise16

Now you will see the canceling ring, again using the permanent marker put a mark on both the fixed and moving parts of this part. It is important not to mess this up especially if you have ESP.
11_cruise21

There is a further yellow plug on the underside of the canceling ring, remove this then unclip the canceling ring and remove it. It may be wise to put a bit of tape on it to stop it moving and then place it somewhere safe.

Undo the allen clamping screw on the steering column switch assembly and pull the assembly forwards slightly.
12_cruise22

Release the three electrical plugs from the back of the assembly and remove the assembly from the steering column.
13_cruise23

Using a flat bladed screwdriver release the locking lug on the switch assembly and separate the two switches."

• Like 1

that simple mate? Does the indicator ring or anything not have anything to do with the wheel? I had a nightmare putting a momo on my old 106 because of the ring bit and ended up just hacking it off lol !

Yup! I'm guessing you're fitting your aftermarket one? If so you'll need to remove the wires from the wheel and steering column and chop the weird connectors off and stick some spades on them (for the horn) then line your boss/wheel up, plug the wires into the wheel & steering column and do it all up. On my Nova years ago I had issues with self cancelling indicators and that but with the Fabia it was all straight forwards. Only issues I had were down to the wrong boss.  :thumbup:

Forgive my apparent naivety on this, not seeking to lecture, but shouldn't you always disconnect the battery ?

That is something I'd always be doing when disconnecting the airbag.

I'm sure the relative risk is infinitesimally small, but they do tell you to disconnect the battery and leave 30 mins or something when removing the airbag so that's something I would always do personally.

What could cause it to fire (prematurely lol) ? It is explosive and forgive me for a being a woosy but I do handle it like a demolitions engineer when I remove the airbag :rofl:

Oh and the removal is dead easy, but I think its definitely one of those jobs you want to "think ahead" and check everything in advance of removal - and not like I did today with a broken toilet handle where I replaced the calcium deposited C pin and it dropped down into the cistern with almost no chance of recovery

Think about...steering position....wheel sensor ring position (for abs etc). It was all covered on the old Fabia vrs site for retrofitting cruise also if thats of any help.

I've never understood what the risk of unplugging it was in terms of setting it off was so never bothered. 3 cars, no issues removing and refitting numerous times. I dont know who this "they" is that tells us to do it. We did play "hot potato" with it taking the **** chucking it to each other, no ones heads blew off thank the lord. 

Good advice about keeping note of the wheel position, makes life easy lining it up after. Not sure where the ABS sensor comes into it though, wouldnt that be on one of the other 4 wheels? 

Edited by matt1chelski

I've never understood what the risk of unplugging it was in terms of setting it off was so never bothered. 3 cars, no issues removing and refitting numerous times. I dont know who this "they" is that tells us to do it. We did play "hot potato" with it taking the **** chucking it to each other, no ones heads blew off thank the lord. 

Good advice about keeping note of the wheel position, makes life easy lining it up after. Not sure where the ABS sensor comes into it though, wouldnt that be on one of the other 4 wheels? 

The 'they' are the people who wrote the workshop manual ;) Essentially the airbag unit is classified as an explosive device so best to reduce any and all chance of a detonation.

• 4 months later...

matt's right, there is absolutely no need to disconnect the battery, you can't get an airbag deployment in a parked car with the ignition switched off, it's like telling people to isolate the mains to their house before unplugging a switched-off telly from the wall, it's just absurd over the top precautionary nonsense, it certainly doesn't do any harm but it's just totally unnecessary.

I've taken the bag on and off about 8 times and yet to bother removing the battery

I took mine off without disconnecting the battery as well.

Well done, and what do you want, a medal for that :D

What next in the sage advice of the motoring mechanic gurus , tightening bolts up by guessing the torque, since you don't really need a torque wrench to tighten a bolt :| You will know when you have overtightened it cos the head comes off :devil:

Sorry guys, just my little fun but I really don't see the point second guessing the guidance of such manuals. Yep 99.9% of the time you probably needn't worry but is it just easier to follow it to the letter and know that there is less likely to go wrong by doing so..

• Like 1

Incase anyone reads this is in the future, if you're removing the clips for the airbag...

Don't go too far in with a screwdriver like what I did trying to undo them, a bit like the g-spot, it's not even far in like initially expected! I used a stubby flat head screwdriver, pushed it in and twisted it 90 degrees and it popped out. Spent FAR too long before I realised this was the fastest way

Disclaimer: I do not (normally) use a stubby screwdriver during intimate times.

Well done, and what do you want, a medal for that :D

What next in the sage advice of the motoring mechanic gurus , tightening bolts up by guessing the torque, since you don't really need a torque wrench to tighten a bolt :| You will know when you have overtightened it cos the head comes off :devil:

Sorry guys, just my little fun but I really don't see the point second guessing the guidance of such manuals. Yep 99.9% of the time you probably needn't worry but is it just easier to follow it to the letter and know that there is less likely to go wrong by doing so..

This will probably come as a shock to you but experienced professionals don't use manuals at all, they know how everything works so they don't need them, they also know how tight bolts need to be and only use torque wrenches for safety critical fastenings.