Help wanted... steering has gone!

I've got a mk1 fabia comfort 1.4 8v... I got into my car yesterday when a light appeared on my dash board (steering wheel) my steering went very heavy so called AA out so no further damage was caused, I've been told it maybe the power steering pump that's failed...

Is this an expensive fix?

Thanks Sean

Steering angle sensor is the usual culprit, PAS pump failure is rare.

Where is the steering angle sensor located easy to get too??

A local garage diagnosed it and said it's the pump it will cost £300 now I went to the garage they told me it's working for now --that was Friday night-- tonight my steering went down again, anyone shed some light please :( don't have a lot of Money to spend this month so hoping to try do it myself??

Thanks Sean.

Have you checked the fluid level?

Mine was intermittent - turns out the fluid was quite low. It's a pain in the ******* arse to check though!

What fluid level? I thought mine was electric power steering? -- I sound stupid I know haha -- how do I check it?!?

Thanks Sean.

The fluid reservoir can be found low down on the RHS when you look under the bonnet, cap/level is green. If fluid is low then you have a leak, probably a failed rack, so just hope level is okay and that it is sensor that has failed. Steering is hydraulic, hydraulic pump is driven by car's 12 volt supply.

The steering pump assembly, including the reservoir, is mounted below the frame that the cap pops through.

Edited by rum4mo

Thanks for the replys,

Well update time, steering light stays on but still has power steering with a few heavy spots so I'm back to square one, I'm guessing a sensor as its sensing a problem so the light comes on the dashboard but still got power steering so can't be the pump failing :s

Any ideas??

Sean.

Check the Power steering pump control unit. It gets wet + corrodes causing intermitant steering problems. When its totally goosed it needs a new pump/ c.unit (should come as 1).. but if its in the early stages u may be able to salvage it by drying it out + sealing the unit to prevent further damage to the Circuit board. Pretty common for it to need a new pump tho on early fabias.

the c.unit + pump are located on the front right side of the engine bay (as you look from the top). But its only really accessible with the bumper off or undertray/ wheel arch liner

Edited by mattvrestate

Thanks for the replys! Appreciate the help, I'm gonna try give it a go myself just don't want to buy a part fit it and find its another part to buy, is the angle sensor easily accessible and a cheapish part?? May give the sensor a change see if it's that. any further help is appreciated

Sean.

Thanks for the replys! Appreciate the help, I'm gonna try give it a go myself just don't want to buy a part fit it and find its another part to buy, is the angle sensor easily accessible and a cheapish part?? May give the sensor a change see if it's that. any further help is appreciated

Sean.

The sensor is easily accessible from under the car but it's not cheap, it'll cost in north of £100 for a new one. Apparently you can disconnect the sensor altogether and have PAS permanently running albeit at reduced power, this will be the cheapest solution while you decide what to do, it should also eliminate the pump control unit from suspicion.

• Like 1

Help topic HERE

The sensor is easily accessible from under the car but it's not cheap, it'll cost in north of £100 for a new one. Apparently you can disconnect the sensor altogether and have PAS permanently running albeit at reduced power, this will be the cheapest solution while you decide what to do, it should also eliminate the pump control unit from suspicion.

Eliminating the pump ecu sounds like a good plan, how do you go about disconnecting the sensor for some experiments?

Edit.....

Err I dont mean how do you unplug a plug, even a thickit like me can work that out!

Do you have to set/adjust something else for the pump to run without sensor?

Edited by jibberwobble

Help topic HERE

Eliminating the pump ecu sounds like a good plan, how do you go about disconnecting the sensor for some experiments?

Edit.....

Err I dont mean how do you unplug a plug, even a thickit like me can work that out!

Do you have to set/adjust something else for the pump to run without sensor?

No, just unplug it.

• Like 1

So where should I be lookin under the Car for the sensor the unplug? Is it an easy quick job? And what will unplugging the sensor prove?

Sean.

Not been down there yet to have a look where it is on the rack but from what has been said above unplugging the sensor will.....  A. tell you if the pump works B. give you assisted steering until you arrive at a proper solution.

Can you feel the steering fluctuating slightly when going in a straight line?  I get this when the angle sensor gets a bit damp.  Thankfully not happened for a while.

Would this possibly be the reason that my car feels like it tracks and has a very slight veer to one side or the other at random?

Would be amazing if I could get it sorted because I don't have much else left that I can replace on the car.  The handling is a pain in the ass at the minute.

Mine tries to work sometimes and when it seems partial and intermtent I would say that it is perfectly possible to describe the feedback it gives as being very similar to what you've described there. Thats just a random punt though so dont take it as gospel.

Yes it's very difficult to describe.  I suppose the best way is to say it feels similar to when a gust of wind catches the car on a windy day but it can go either way.  When it happens it feels like the steering definitely goes lighter.