Help before I order FL

Specky

Mornin !!! I have decided to order a Face Lift Yeti 1.2 Elegance !

Couple of questions .....

DSG box .... Or .... Sunroof ?? It's one or the other as can't justify both.

And should I tick LED rear lights and 12 speaker options ?? Not heard a 12 speaker as none in stealers !

Any other advice would be gratefully received !

Thanks

SPECKS

Just to add to your quandary - in my opinion - neither DSG or sunroof.

I am fairly sure you will have overwhelming support for the former. There are a few threads on DSG vs Manual that would be worth reading, but I think it comes down to personal choice in the end. There are long threads on sunroofs mainly dwelling on the various leakages - again a personal choice but it is an awful lot of money to spend to increase significantly the chances of water ingression and in some reported cases condensation. As always there will be many sunroofs that do not leak, or creak!

Not qualified to comment on LED lights, but personally very happy with 8 speaker system but I'm sure music buffs will be quick to disagree.

Re: other matters - I would certainly add the spare wheel option and if you have any intention of towing of any sort (trailer to dump to save interior maybe) then get the full towing kit factory installed - will save you a lot of heartache seeking cheaper alternatives.

As you will see I have the 1.2 and I am very pleased with the choice which suits my usage.

Hope this helps.

Peter

• Like 1

Morning. We have an Elegance 1.2 DSG. only had it a few days but done over 300 miles in it and love the DSG. Never had one before but is so much better than our last Auto. so far it has performed perfectly, even when we had 4 adults in it and a full boot. We did have a manual 1.2 for a few days and also liked that so it just depends if you prefer auto or manual. Can't really coment on  the roof If we could have afforded it it would have been nice to have but the cabin is light and airy it doen't seem to be a problem for us.

We wanted the LEDs to begin with mainly just for looks (we liked the thin strips in a C shape) but decided to save the money. Turns out our standard ones also have the Strips so looks wise we hare happy with them, but can't comment on any other benefits of LEDs

Regarding the speakers. We just have the standard setup and is fine for what we listen to. Probably not quite as good sound quality as we had in our previous Astra,

but I'm sure someone will be along soon to tell you how good the 12 speakers are.

Another thing is deciding on a spare wheel or not. We didn't bother as we wanted as much boot space as possible (never would have fitted the furniture in it yesterday if we had a spare), but if space isn't high on your list then maybe a good idea to have one. 

Manual or DSG are both good, so as others suggest down to personal choice but if your in a lot of stop start traffic the DSG would be my choice, otherwise manual.

Would also take the spare wheel option if your happy to loose a bit of boot space. If you really like your music go for the speaker upgrade, as they generally give a better sound and also consider the elec seat as it gives a far better range of adjustment.

TP

The problem with the 12 speaker sound system is it's not good enough for what is now a £390 list price upgrade. Yes, it's better, but it's still terribly flawed. Where this becomes really unjustifiable, is when you realise that the Octavia audio upgrade (Canton) is only £400 and includes markedly better components, amp and subwoofer. This fact annoyed me too much to pay for the 12 speaker upgrade.

• Like 1

And should I tick LED rear lights and 12 speaker options ?? Not heard a 12 speaker as none in stealers !

Any other advice would be gratefully received !

Thanks

SPECKS

If you like Autos the DSG is a great combination with the 1.2 petrol engine.

Sunroof does make it lovely and light inside.  So personal choice if one or the other.

LED rear lights if you want your car to look a little bit different.

12 speaker option I have.  Not convinced myself.  If you are throwing cash at the car maybe, but otherwords no.

They are not stealers.

If you think they are I'd suggest not paying a lot of money for a new car.

Save money, save letting them steal a load of money off you and buy something second hand.

• Like 1

I bought the DSG and wish I hadn't. IMO definitely not worth £1000 extra. Sunroof I wouldn't have either. I've had loads of cars with them and never used them. Noisy and draughty. They do give more light but the Yeti has loads of glass area anyway so is light enough. I would just save your money and spend it on something else.

Hi. I've got the 1.2 TSI in Elegance trim with manual gearbox. As others have said manual or DSG is personal choice and is probably THE thing to be sure you have made the right choice for you. (I'd only ever had one automatic in the past and it drank fuel like it was going out of fashion. didn't know much about the DSG and none of the dealers I spoke to, who were generally very good, spent any time explaining what it could  do otherwise i might have been tempted although I'm vry happy with the manual). As extras I added a spare wheel and heated windscreen, both of which I felt were useful/essential and good value. I went for the Park Assist package as the cost wasn't a lot more than the front sensors upgrade and it has been useful a few times to squeeze me into a spot I doubt I would even had tried if doing it myself. I think the sound from the standard audio package is fine for what I need (usually local radio, occasionally something off the SD card) but it definitely is a step down from the audio in my last car so if sound quality is important to you definitely something to consider carefully or investigate after-market upgrading..

The sunroof was the expensive option. On the downside I panic every time someone on the forum reports a problem with theirs (although in fairness it isn't often), the positives are that it does make the car interior very light and adds to the ventilation options in the summer. It's also made the car a lot quieter - I haven't got SWMBO complaining that we should have bought a car with a sunroof. (Ironic when neither of us are great sun lovers!). For me the sunroof is probably the only option I'd think twice about if re-ordering, particularly as I have the Gobi Sand interior rather than the black so it's a light interior anyway.

Some of these things may now be standard on the F/L Yeti, but if not hope this helps make up your mind. 

I bought the DSG and wish I hadn't. IMO definitely not worth £1000 extra. Sunroof I wouldn't have either. I've had loads of cars with them and never used them. Noisy and draughty. They do give more light but the Yeti has loads of glass area anyway so is light enough. I would just save your money and spend it on something else.

We have a sunroof Yeti and a non-sunroof Yeti.

The difference in interior light and feeling it gives is really noticible with the sun screen moved back.

Remember in most Yetis the rear glass is darkened from the B posts.

I don't have it on my car, but the wife does and we really like it.

• Like 1

Options area personal choices really, I have a 140 diesel 4x4 Elegance and for me the DSG was never on my radar nor was a sunroof for the reasons already stated above by other members. As my car sits on the drive outside at 350 metres above sea level the heated screen was a more important option, however if you live by the coast its probably not on your radar. I also considered a spare wheel an essential and chose the factory fit towbar given some of the aftermarket fit problems already reported on this and other boards.

Quite a conundrum this one. I have both and can't picture myself without either. Both are the type of option you use or experience every single time when using the car. If I was to be put over a barrel and forced to decide I'd say take the DSG. It makes for a relaxed car and really makes driving very easy and laid back. I'd never buy a manual car again - yet I might (though highly unlikely) buy a car without a sunroof.

As to LED lights that's a personal thing. The Sound System? I have it and can't say it remotely comes near the BOSE I had had in my Audi. It's just ok - so heaven knows what the standard system must be like. But again I'd take a sunroof over the hi-fi upgrade.

So get a DSG and don't do the Sound or the LED lights and put that money towards a sunroof.  :giggle:

I'd take the sunroof over DSG, if those are the two options you're torn between. I don't need DSG and like to change gear myself - that's my logic :)

Sunroof: I can see you can take the experience of others to help with the decision. But for DSG, it's surely down to whether you wanted that type of transmission or not. And that's a decision you can only make yourself. Have you tried both DSG and manual versions out yet?

The problem with the 12 speaker sound system is it's not good enough for what is now a £390 list price upgrade. Yes, it's better, but it's still terribly flawed. Where this becomes really unjustifiable, is when you realise that the Octavia audio upgrade (Canton) is only £400 and includes markedly better components, amp and subwoofer. This fact annoyed me too much to pay for the 12 speaker upgrade.

Completely agree with that. I did a side by side comparison of the standard audio system in the Yeti and the 12 speaker option in a Yeti L&K. I used my own CD with lots of different types of music and well recorded tracks. There was only a slight improvement with the 12 speaker option but not worth the extra money. I also listened to the Canton system in the new Octavia and compared it to the standard setup (again with my own test CD) and there I did find a marked improvement with the Canton and I would surely spend the extra for that one.

Excellent choice!  But I would say that, wouldn't I, having gone for the same - now awaiting delivery.

DSG and sunroof both purely personal choice.  I passed on both - sunroof not worth the extra (for potentially more problems).  Likewise the DSG.

Can't see the point of paying extra for LED rear lights or the 12 speaker system, but again just a matter of personal choice.

I would seriously consider, though, if you haven't already, the heated windscreen and the heated washer nozzles.  The electrically adjustable driver's seat is also worth thinking about - some good reviews in here on it.  And I'd say the temporary space-saver spare wheel with car jack and false boot floor is about the best-spent £150 you're ever likely to make - having no spare is a serious issue.  Rear mudflaps are also reasonable at £20 - not sure what dealers are charging to add the fronts.

Finally, make sure you get a decent deal.  There are substantial discounts to be had - even from main dealers - and you'll find advice in other threads.

If you aren't sure about the DSG, try to get a test drive in one first and make your own mind up - a ring around the local dealers may be able to locate one (even if it's on a used Yeti). We have had them on several VAG cars and are vey pleased with them - but I understand they aren't everyone's cup of tea!

I love my sunroof and it doesn't leak.

I have manual 1.2 but then I drive on long country roads with not much stop/start.

I also have the 12 speaker system and have not compared it with the standard one. Is it worth the money...probably not.

OH MY GOODNESS !!!!

Massive thanks to you all for HUGE response to my dilemma !! I'm overwhelmed !

At 48 years YOUNG this will be my first ever NEW car !

I have had VAG DSG's .... Cars with Sunroofs and rag tops so this is why i have asked you good people for your thoughts and experience on the Yeti. It will be a truly PRACTICAL car for this new Grandad !!

You ALL have given me things to seriously consider and i will take on board all that has been mentioned.

We looked at a Yeti at DM KIETH'S today with a FULL size spare wheel !!!! CHRIST..... how much room does that take up ???

Heated screen ..... I like this idea but does Daft Nav work without extra aerial ??

Park assist..... Not sure on this at all ???

!2 speakers...... OUT !!! (had Bose on my TT so will source after market upgrade later)

Tow bar..... I have a 1985 Audi Coupe Quattro ( int garage) fitted with detachable tow bar, so IF i need to tow owt,,,, its there !

Flaps..... Oh yeah... ( without sounding smutty) we all like flaps !!

Thankyou again for all your inputs

SPECKY

PS.... will keep you posted on my YETI

OH MY GOODNESS !!!! Massive thanks to you all for HUGE response to my dilemma !! I'm overwhelmed ! At 48 years YOUNG this will be my first ever NEW car ! I have had VAG DSG's .... Cars with Sunroofs and rag tops so this is why i have asked you good people for your thoughts and experience on the Yeti. It will be a truly PRACTICAL car for this new Grandad !!

Definately suitable for grandads!! I speak from experience!!

You ALL have given me things to seriously consider and i will take on board all that has been mentioned. We looked at a Yeti at DM KIETH'S today with a FULL size spare wheel !!!! CHRIST..... how much room does that take up ???

Not as much as you think. It only loses about 3" of height in the boot, and there is still more than enought room for several cases of wine, or a few pallets.

Heated screen ..... I like this idea but does Daft Nav work without extra aerial ??

Others have reported there is no problem.

Park assist..... Not sure on this at all ???

Do you often need to parallel park in town? If no, don't bother with it.

!2 speakers...... OUT !!! (had Bose on my TT so will source after market upgrade later)

See comments elsewhere, but it appears the consensus is it isn't worth it.

Tow bar..... I have a 1985 Audi Coupe Quattro ( int garage) fitted with detachable tow bar, so IF i need to tow owt,,,, its there !

Still might be worth it.

Flaps..... Oh yeah... ( without sounding smutty) we all like flaps !!

Norty!!

Thankyou again for all your inputs SPECKY PS.... will keep you posted on my YETI

• Like 1

I'm a DSG convert after a recent test drive and at this time of year I wish I'd specced the heated screen for my new order. I had the panoramic sunroof on my Roomster but don't miss it on the Yeti.

Fred

One thought: you can always consider an auto as an auto-clutch rather than an autogearbox. Probably 9 times out of 10 the auto will change gear better than a human. Not to mention using the auto-gearchange facility can be safer in some circumstances by allowing you to keep 2 hands on the steering wheel...

I drive both (own a manual, hire autos for work) and probably would prefer an auto Yeti as my next car. The extra dosh and extra complications / possible warranty issues are a consideration, of course.