Airbag warning light on but OBDII shows NO faults

gs42816

Hi all, I recently removed some fuses ( Instrument panel, 3x wiper fuses at fuse 15,32 and 45) from my 2003 Skoda Fabia Elegance 1.9Tdi with the ignition on to try and trace a fault (I know it was stupid to leave ignition on it was a mistake on my part)

The airbag warning light is now on and I cant clear it.

I used an OBDII Bluetooth device with an android application called 'Torque Pro' ( and also Torque lite) to connect to the ECU etc but there was NO faults recorded.

I'm wondering if I have inadvertently disabled the passenger airbag by removing the fuses and maybe dislodging one of the others, I have checked to make sure all the fuses under the panel at the end of the dashboard are securely seated which they seem to be.

Has anyone any ideas where I can start looking as I am totally stumped by this and any help is greatly appreciated.

All the best

Graham

Hi again,

I forgot to mention. when I put the key in the no 2 position (Electrics ON) all the instrument lights come on including the airbag warning light. They ALL go out as normal including the airbag warning light but when I start the enging the Airbag warning light comes back on after about 3 seconds.

Thanks again

Graham

Hi Steve and Devonutopia,

Thank you so much for the reply.

I ordered the Bluetooth module and the android app hoping for a quick fix. In addition I also ordered a proper ? scanner from Ebay specific to VW Skoda Seat etc. I would be really interested if you could take a look and see what you think, ie if its likely to work, Ive also included a photo of the item, a U281 memoscanner.  post-113241-0-69565800-1391186457_thumb.jpg   The item number is 321308746963 and the advert specifically states it will detect airbag faults and reset them. I know this is also a cheapo option but Im trying anything to avoid going to a dealer and remortgaging the house to pay for it.

If you do have time please take a look and see what you think.

Sincere thanks again

Graham

I've just purchased the U281 as well. It is supposed to show faults on the airbags and ABS as well as the engine. It's obviously only a cheap item but mine seems to work OK. I intend to get something better at a later date but it will do me for now.

• Like 2

U281 scanner arrived this afternoon, initially found 2 unrelated fault codes.... Erased, airbag light still on. Rescanned about 4 times and eventually 2 other faults popped up 00532 (supply voltage) and 01317 (instrument cluster signal) I put these 2 faults down to messing up the fuses with the ignition on. I erased those 2 codes and the airbag light went out... AFTERi had turned the ignition off then back on again, so THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO REPLIED. I also cured the intermittent wiper problem which I'll post as a separate topic.

• Like 1

I think success will depend on the age of the car, if you've got some older modules running k line protocol then the cheaper readers might work, if they're all canbus modules it's highly likely you'll need vcds or a top end diagnostic tool

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

So If this fuse blows off you have to go to your dealer to fix it. :thumbdown:

I have bough: VCDS , U281 and 3x OBD reader (bluetooth,WiFi and USB) so I am ready for everything  :p

They wont take my money for that kind of ......