My broken Octavia vRS

Tensioner failed, top end not turning. Anyone who knows this roundabout at rush hour will know what an interesting experience being stuck here was. I'm wating for Sinclair Skoda to call back to see what can be done.

1888439_592059400882535_866850918_n.jpg

Out of warranty. 67k. Full Dealer Service History. Heres hoping...

Oh man :(  

Surely a goodwill to fix it although they dont have to but as you have a FSH its in there insterest. 

Oh man :(

Surely a goodwill to fix it although they dont have to but as you have a FSH its in there insterest. 

Hope so. I had it looked at last year as there was pronounced rattle from the engine about 2.8k but nothing was noted as a problem. Wondering if the noise was coming from the chain,

Just dug out my paperwork. Last service and full check done at 58000 miles. Its due to be booked in in the next week or so anyway.

Both my wife and I need cars, our youngest has a brain tumour which causes massive complications. We are basically both on emergency call out. Am hoping to borrow a car from family until this is sorted..

Oh dear,another one to add to the list.......sadly could be new engine time.......there is a "pinned" topic at the top of this section with all the members & lists of vehicles that have had a timing chain tensioner failure. Hope you get it resolved to your satisfaction. 

Edit.......seen Grad has found the "Pinned" topic.  :rofl:

Edited by mikey vrs

Grad, so sorry to hear about your kid! Nothing more important than looking after family, especially the little ones.

I wish you and your family well and hope the car is soon sorted.

Best wishes,

Dunc

• Like 2

I too am sorry to hear about your son, Grad. Hopefully you will get a speedy and substantial goodwill contribution from Skoda UK so that your car is back on the road soon.

Please let me know if the details I have posted at entry No 30 in Post #1 in the pinned thread need amending, and it would be useful to know the date of registration of your car.

Thanks guys. 

Date of first registration is the 10th of December 2009.

Denis, our son is a girl! She will be amused by this   :D

To be honest in the grand scheme of life the car is just a minor hiccup, am hoping its sorted without too much trouble. The wife is also 28 weeks pregnant and having suffered 5 miscarriages we are on tender hooks (is that how you say it?). So as you can imagine, with everything else going on we just shrug our shoulders when this kind of thing happens and get on with it. I've managed to borrow a car from the family for the duration the Octavia is in so we are in great position. Lets just hope the same can be said of my credit card in a few weeks time....

Will keep you posted.

ETA : Details in pinned topic are correct :)

Edited by Grad
  • Like 1

It broke down where the Yaris is in this google map link https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Ynysforgan,+Roundabout+(SW-bound),+Ynysforgan&hl=en&ll=51.67813,-3.912013&spn=0.007864,0.021136&sll=52.8382,-2.327815&sspn=7.846845,21.643066&oq=ynysyforgan&t=h&hnear=Ynysforgan,+Roundabout+(SW-bound)&z=16&layer=c&cbll=51.678003,-3.912074&panoid=xHQKXm3nBsxHhvDRGW6lsQ&cbp=12,211.29,,0,6.13

It was rush hour and pretty dangerous so I had to abandon the car and stand behind the barrier leaving the hazards on. I can't begin to describe the amount of near misses with cars swapping lanes at the last minute. So glad noone went into it for their sake more than mine!

News from the dealer. Its not the tensioner. The cams have been starved of oil (wish I could remember the name of the part mentioned, maybe a loader? So I need 2 new cams and various other top end bits . Total cost around 1600 including a goodwill payment of 20% from Skoda.

As for goodwill, do speak to Skoda UK, explain that you are a loyal customer and if you have history of skoda ownership it will help.

I had caliper failure last year which was out of warranty period with just 28k on the clock. Skoda paid 90% of the cost.

The part in question was a saddle release bearing.

This is the second skoda in a row ive owned from new. My fabia vrs turbo went outside of warranty but with FSSH and Skoda paid for the parts. I then traded for this which also has a FSSH. I think my brand loyalty is evident and my local dealer (sinclair skoda) is fantastic. It would be gutting to sever ties but im going to have to think long and hard about next steps.