To mod or not to mod? What would it fetch when done?

jays

Not sure wether to throw money at the vrs or not, its just a bit boring in standard spec.

Thinking of a stage 1 map, ap shock and springs and big brakes up front so around £650.

I know youll never get your money back for mods but what could i expect to shift it on when i get bored again?

Its a 07 plate in black, 1 previous owner with 100k and full service history

I thought this thread said 'fletch'

Haha

if in doubt. ... do it ;)

Aslong as you keeo standard parts you can always split when you get rid of car. So effectively banking money. Because fabia mods seem to hold allot of value ive noticed

Faboka's map is awesome I'm running his high torque one. I'm getting it rolling roaded in 2 weeks time so I'll have figures for it but in all honesty I'm not fussed about the figures the way it drives is what makes it so good

Only mod if you are prepared to burn the cash in exchange for the additional fun it will give you in the car.

That's it really.

Nut in a Shell

Accept that the money goes up in smoke when you do this or disappointment will ensue.

There is no good economic argument for modifying a car, especially when you take into account insurance, increased fuel alongside the cost of mods fitting properly (suspension will need an alignment done too).  I suspect your £650.00 doesn't include fitting and future removal cost, unless you'll be doing it all yourself.

There are other arguments :) and if you don't know what they are, it might not be for you.

Good luck whatever you decide :thumbup:

• Like 1

Thanks for the replys.

I only bought it as a cheap hack but in standard form I'm bored already so it's either spend a bit and have some fun or maybe sell and move on? I don't mind spending money on it but not sure wether a stage 1 will be worth it but wouldn't take it any further as that's where I see it has being half sensible for the out lay.

Was looking at around £250 for a reputable remap how much is fabokas? Is it a smooth map? Any printouts etc?

Brakes and suspension I can do myself

After looking at some of the mk1s for sale and the asking prices would I be off my nut to expect £3500 if I was selling after getting the mods sorted? Or are these things actually selling for good money?

As I say it's a 07 in black with 100k and fsh and 1 previous owner and cruise lol

A car is worth what someone else is willing to pay. Having said that it's a buyers market out there which doesn't help with resale values and generally a basic stage 1 car with suspension/brake mods probably won't fetch any more than a standard example that is a similar age, condition and mileage. Have you had a look at what similar cars are fetching? As that's probably a ball park area of what you can expect.

For the remap I've heard good things about Shark, meant to be a very smooth map which helps protecting things like the clutch.

I came from having hot hatches to my vRS and yeah it's no where near as dynamic to drive or fun but for what it is it's a good package/compromise in terms of the performance and what it costs to run.

Could do with a little more power (something that the map should go some way to sorting) and the handling could do with being a bit sharper. Both can be sorted to make the car a bit more fun but its all down to what your prepared to put into it really as your unlikely to get your money back come sale time and it could even limit your market as some don't want a car that's been messed with and prefer standard.

People do tend to ask a little over the odds on owners clubs. Sometimes they sell sometimes they are sat there for months. Autotrader will be a more realistic picture of what you can expect.

When you say 'full service history' is that dealer stamped? Independent? DIY? (as that makes a difference) cam belt/water pump recently done? Good tyres on it? Interior mint? Full tax and MOT? All can contribute to what sort of price you could expect.

I'd be prepared to pay on the higher side of things for a car that is mint with documented service history and proof of things like the cam belt, water pump and correct oil being used at services. If it didn't have that then I'd expect to pay a lower price to what the best ones are selling for at the time. No one pays advertised price these days so don't put it up for £3500 if that's the lowest you'd be prepared to take. You do get jokers trying it on with stupid offers as I found when trying to sell some cars in the past lol.

If I was after a fvrs I'd sure pay £3500 for an '07, regardless of the mileage. 

I'm not sure what the max amount you could ask would be but £3500 sure sounds cheap

And actually I wouldn't want an over modded car, especialy not styling mods. Subtle mods are best imho

Edited by Petardo

Spending £600-£700 and making the car more enjoyable to drive is worth it imo, you can get most of the money back after a few years but probably not worth doing when you consider the cost to remove everything and put it back to standard

But even then, just over £200 per year over 3 years or so to keep you happy is more then worth it!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Couldn't agree more, I've just fitted coilovers to my Fabia after contemplating it for a while and can say I'm definitely not looking back! 

And I'm running a Faboka remap as well, would definitely recommend John, so helpful and the map is awesome. 

Mod'ing up your car adds nothing to the value, its a pleasure that should only really be done for your own personal pleasure, and you should know beforehand that paying for that pleasure is going to come out fo your own pocket.

So if the only reason you want to mod it up if for potential profit, then forget it.

Agree with the above, and

The more you modify, and the amount you spend, is inversely proportional to the amount of people the car will appeal to, in other words, the more you mod, the less people will potentially want to buy it.

Personally, I don't think a simple remap, uprated bushes, and up rated discs and pads will do any harm to the future value (unless, when you sell it, you demonstrate the car like one of those backwards-wearing-baseball cap idiots).

Lowering, and uprated stereo are a bit more of a personal choice, likewise bigger turbos, injectors etc.

I prefer OEM, but bushes and discs are consumables, so to see uprated ones, is, to me, not a problem.

• Like 1

If you were to add leathers that could add value if you got some cheap enough or will make it desirable to buyers as not many have leathers. Genuine xenons might also be a good buy if again you can get some cheap but a remap or coilovers won't add any value really.

You don't have to spend a lot to modify a car, mine was bog standard and I've probably only spent about £300 in total after I've sold standard parts to get it to the spec it is now (not including maintenance jobs) but if you shop about and do work yourself you can modify on a budget

Thanks for the replys. I understand mods don't increase the value of a car but due to the original purchase price I can do the mods and still make money when I get bored if I was likely to get a min of £3500+ ( never lost money on a motor yet and don't wish to lose on this one). So really it comes to approx sale value which from what I've seen varies for similar 07 plates with simular mileage,history, owners,condition etc from £3200 to the dreamers at the other end of the scale at £5795 lol