Upgrade vRS Interior Lights

I just got these today and fitted them tonight. Pictures don't do them justice. What a difference they make inside, everything's much more visible, I really like them. Only oversight was, I bought 8 of them thinking 2 for number plate, 2 for boot and 4 for inside. Only the rear seat light has 3! So I'm 1 short. Oh well, they are cheap enough, I'll just get some more and mibbe do the puddle lights too. (They're 501s too, right?)

That seller does them in a pack of 10 too. May get these! (though still wondering why it's difficult to get 501 bulbs that are not "canbus error free")
  • Like 1

I just got these today and fitted them tonight. Pictures don't do them justice. What a difference they make inside, everything's much more visible, I really like them. Only oversight was, I bought 8 of them thinking 2 for number plate, 2 for boot and 4 for inside. Only the rear seat light has 3! So I'm 1 short. Oh well, they are cheap enough, I'll just get some more and mibbe do the puddle lights too. (They're 501s too, right?)

Glad it's not just me that thinks the lights look great :) When you say puddle lights, I presume you mean the lights in the doors, if so, then yes they are 501s too  :thumbup:

• Like 1

@ Iamholam at the time when I was looking for bulbs, I didn't find any 501s smd/led that were not canbus error free, most of them on ebay are canbus error free but in the end I'm glad I went for these, purely because of the light output is really good & in the long run, it saved me having to buy smd/led bulbs at trial & error etc ;)

• Like 1

@ Iamholam at the time when I was looking for bulbs, I didn't find any 501s smd/led that were not canbus error free, most of them on ebay are canbus error free but in the end I'm glad I went for these, purely because of the light output is really good & in the long run, it saved me having to buy smd/led bulbs at trial & error etc ;)

Thanks. The seller does the same bulb (at least it looks the same) non Canbus error free too, but only in packs of 2 (they are £3.49 which is slightly cheaper) going to email them and see if they can do a pack of 10.
  • Like 1

Any pics of the boot batvan? That's the area I want them for most

I will get you a picture tonight (long as I remember) there pretty decent for boot light, I wouldn't say they light up everywhere but a good 70% light so you can see stuff in the boot :)

If you want mega power boot lights apart from wiring an led strip in etc you can get these

http://www.superskoda.com/Skoda/OCTAVIA-III/Octavia-III-MEGA-POWER-LED-cargo-trunk-light-KI-R

But I would say try the Ebay LED'S I linked in the boot as for under £4.00 you might actually be impressed

A few pics of the inside boot, I was in a quick rush when doing these so the first picture is with no flash but the other 2 pictures are with the flash, sorry but just didn't have the time at that precise moment :)

Picture with no flash

IMG_4970_zps1azkfvry.jpg

Pictures with flash

IMG_4971_zpsqjx7ohi5.jpg

IMG_4973_zps5fmucgrl.jpg

You can kinda see from the 1st picture that the lightning is quite good, don't get me wrong, it ain't brilliant but its a lot better than the dull standard yellow lights but if you want mega power then suggest get the superskoda rear inner boot led's  :thumbup:

I got a few more of the same bulbs delivered today and fitted 2 to the number plate lights. Maxidot says Check number plate lights! How come they worked OK with yours BATVANVRS? They work fine and look a lot better than the standard ones but don't know how long my OCD will tolerate the error message.  :S

I got a few more of the same bulbs delivered today and fitted 2 to the number plate lights. Maxidot says Check number plate lights! How come they worked OK with yours BATVANVRS? They work fine and look a lot better than the standard ones but don't know how long my OCD will tolerate the error message. :S

My number plate lights are not the ones from eBay as I said in a previous post ;) I have the superskoda LED'S as number plate lights (I linked in a previous post) the superskoda ones are really bright & don't need any coding etc there plug n play, but as said you could use the bulbs you have & VCDS it

My number plate lights are not the ones from eBay as I said in a previous post ;) I have the superskoda LED'S as number plate lights (I linked in a previous post) the superskoda ones are really bright & don't need any coding etc there plug n play, but as said you could use the bulbs you have & VCDS it

I thought you both got the Canbus safe ones anyway so they would work without errors?

Canbus friendly are a waste of money and could potentially damage your BCM. Do the job properly and code for LED bulbs.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I ask3 about the non Canbus bulbs they have and they have resistors in them too apparently. Is it the resistors that make Canbus bulbs not good? Which ones would you recommend AndyVee?

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2014-hot-sale-real-parking-t10-1smd-high-power-led-reading-light-bulbs-w5w-auto-cree/1968387645.html

I have these as interior lights, puddle lights, number plate lights, sidelights, door lights, glovebox light, footwell lights, boot lights etc....

No resistors, just code the sidelights and number plate lights for LED

• Like 1

In the interest of keeping this constructive, not everyone has vcds, nor wishes to get someone round to code their car. I understand that people here do have copies, and a great community spirit on helping others our (for remuneration if some kind) but I for one, would be less inclined to allow a complete untrained stranger to carry out work and unintentionally cause issues with the coding. I'd feel ****ed off and the volunteers would feel pretty bad about it. There may also be implications if the vcds operator entered into an agreement about being paid in cash or in kind. I do see threads here and there where people have copies of vcds and have attempted applying config changes (it's not code) and now have discovered side effects because they've done it wrong.

Anyway, what I'm getting at is....

In these circumstances, for those of us that want non vcds config change required led bulbs, what are the implications for using led lights without coding then? Just so we're all absolutely clear on the implications on not doing it 'properly'.

Thanks

Tim

Edited by Mallettsmallett
  • Like 4

I would also like clarification. AndyVee has talked before about leds with resistors messing up the can system which is why I am always hesitant about changing to leds.

CANBus friendly lights fool your BCM in to thinking that a filament bulb is still there by utilising resistors normally. The BCM is not designed to see a constant resistive load on the lighting channels and has the settings there to support LED bulbs natively, unlike previous generations of Octavias.

If you blew your BCM through a faulty CANBus friendly bulb, be prepared for big bill to get it replaced if the dealer wont honour the warranty, which is a possibility. It has happened.

At the end of the day, the choice is yours, but CANBUS friendly bulbs are a bodge job. I personally don't do bodge jobs on cars that cost £20k plus.

I don't understand your negativity towards VCDS, this isn't the first time you have posted as such. There are plenty of experienced VCDS owners on here who will make the changes correctly.

• Like 2

Andy, I could counter with your perspective promoting it. I think we're of a similar personality. I've used vagcom on previous cars so I'm not some luddite but there will be people with a reticence to let a strange person near their car with such a powerful tool, that in the wrong hands, could be very costly.

My perspective is not negativity, but my nature to challenge and question something I have no experience of.

Thanks for the info on the lights though. So, you would confirm that changing bulbs and then changing config through vcds will not invalidate warranty?

I think in this light, I'll bin mine and revert.

Edited by Mallettsmallett

Won't invalidate warranty at all.

CANBUS friendly were necessary on A5 platform cars, as you couldn't code for LED bulbs, at the best all you could do was turn off the diagnostics. This still caused issues though in some instances.

The BCM on the MQB fully supports LEDs, so there is no reason to use them at all. The quality of some of the ones I have seen is shocking, cheap chinese rubbish springs to mind. I wouldn't put one of those anywhere near a new car!

If you fit CANBUS friendly bulbs and your BCM is throwing up bulb errors still then it is far from happy - you don't have a clue how much current is being drawn by those resistors and what damage that could possibly do to your BCM.

I am not promoting VCDS as such, I am promoting doing the job properly. The car fully supports LEDs without having to resort to a bodge job. In my eyes it is like using a scothclock conector and a bit of wire to enable the second fog light!

• Like 3