Vrs Tdi - Starting problems?

Hi Guys,

I hope you are all well?

Last few occasions of getting in my car after sitting for a few hours its been taking a while to start.

I've had a few diesels over the years and the best way to describe the symptoms is like when you try to start one before the glow plugs have had time to do their thing - I always wait for the lights to go out before starting and the Octy doesnt allow starting beforehand anyway.

Just seems to be turning over for a few seconds before firing.

I'm the only person to fuel it, only ever use shell or BP and never allow it to drop below half a tank. All was fine up until a few days ago.

Any ideas or anyone experienced the same?

Kindest Regards

Pullers

It's only just coming up 4000 miles! Already been back to Skoda once for an annoying rattle and for a low coolant level missed on PDI! The way I feel today Im not sure I would want a 6th Skoda...brand loyalty ay....! :-(

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Update!!

Great service from Dale at Progress Skoda - Bedford.

Cars going in Weds for master tech to play with - find out what's going on hopefully.

Any news on this ? Mine is doing the same.

Mine did this once the other day. Not done it before or since but it has been in for a SW update last week for the cruise and one other unnamed recall.

I too would be keen to know what was done to yours.

Just spoke to the dealer about this problem and they had not heard of it. But the service manager said take it back to where you bought it from !

Not impressed with that response.

Just spoke to the dealer about this problem and they had not heard of it. But the service manager said take it back to where you bought it from !

Not impressed with that response.

Pretty sure that warranty work can be carried out at any dealer. If your car has problems just take it to the nearest dealer.

Pretty sure that warranty work can be carried out at any dealer. If your car has problems just take it to the nearest dealer.

yup thats what (in theory) the dealer network is for ... Skodafang, as for the service manager telling you to take it to the supplying dealership I would report him to Skoda UK and name and shame on here

Yeah I thought they would be glad of the warranty work.

They have got the hump because we used to buy lots of cars from them but they lost out on price.

Problem is all dealers are 50 miles plus from me.

Mine did this once the other day. Not done it before or since but it has been in for a SW update last week for the cruise and one other unnamed recall.

I too would be keen to know what was done to yours.

Hi,

Had the same prob myself and due for a workshop visit next week. What was the recall?

Any news on this ? Mine is doing the same.

Hi Mate,

I hope you are well.

Skoda at Bedford had mine for a couple of days, Replaced the fuel pump and found that one of the hoses/pipes had a very slight heirline crack in it - from the factory it woulod seem -  Ran like a dream after this......up until the last week and has started doing it again on occassion.

Cheers

Chris

Hi Guys,

I hope you are all well?

Last few occasions of getting in my car after sitting for a few hours its been taking a while to start.

I've had a few diesels over the years and the best way to describe the symptoms is like when you try to start one before the glow plugs have had time to do their thing - I always wait for the lights to go out before starting and the Octy doesnt allow starting beforehand anyway.

Just seems to be turning over for a few seconds before firing.

I'm the only person to fuel it, only ever use shell or BP and never allow it to drop below half a tank. All was fine up until a few days ago.

Any ideas or anyone experienced the same?

Kindest Regards

Pullers

Ours has done the same a few times lately, it's at around 8.5k miles so I have just attributed it to 'needing a service' which is due soon (10k)... 

P

Mine started doing it at around 4000 miles, Just been serviced and clicked over 10,000 miles last week.

Done the starting thing again to me a couple of times lately. One thing I will say is how much the fuel consumption has improved with more miles, to and from work im easily achieving 57mpg (according to computer)

Cheers

Pullers

Strange mine did this 2 or 3 times after the apparent software update to fix the headlight error, i mentioned it to the tech last time i had it in and he said he will look at it tomorrow when the car goes in to have it's headlight fixed.

The car is being hooked up so the Skoda Tech's can interrogate the car remotely, will make sure i remember to remind them to check this out, at first i thought it was me not letting the glow plugs do their thing.

Will let you know 

Hi

Mine is doing the same from the very beginning

At the beginning the car would stall after starting. I happened rarely.

See http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/305427-octavia-iii-vrs-tdi-dsg-stalling-randomly-after-starting/

Now the symptoms are as you all describe and it happens almost in all warm starts (letting the car cool down for 30 mins after long ride... and it happens on the next start)

Does anybody know if there is a campaign or a recall. 

The car has been twice to the dealer but as it is difficult to reproduce, they refuse to do anything else

thanks!

Video it happening on your phone, upload to dropbox or similar then email them a link. There is way too much 'we can't reproduce it so there isn't a fault' happening at the moment.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Mine is only from cold...

P

My TDI vRS also had a similar behaviour, several times in a morning it would start & stall.

On the second restart it was rough for a few seconds but fine afterwards.

Shortly afterwards I had the Boost Pressure Sensor replaced & I've not noticed any problems since although the general temperatures here have increase alot in the last month.

Do the CR diesels have a camshaft position sensor like the PD did?

I'm pretty sure all of the CR engines will have a crank & camshaft position sensor.