Extended warranty cost

Yetigreenline2

Discussed at some length - with little in the way of firm conclusions reached IMO - late last year.  Have a gander at this thread.  I went for Warranty Direct in the end, on a friend's recommendation, having been given a frustrating run-around by Car Plan and a couple of Skoda dealers.

Looks like being a member of the CSMA is the best bet for getting something as near as possible to the original manufacturer's warranty.

• Like 2

Skoda-approved extended warranty with assistance. £600 for 2 year's cover for my 2010 Octavia II. Buy it before the manufacturer's warranty expires or you may have to pay to have your car inspected first.

Discussed at some length - with little in the way of firm conclusions reached IMO - late last year.  Have a gander at this thread.  I went for Warranty Direct in the end, on a friend's recommendation, having been given a frustrating run-around by Car Plan and a couple of Skoda dealers.

Looks like being a member of the CSMA is the best bet for getting something as near as possible to the original manufacturer's warranty.

Re. the CSMA warranty (£144 PA), I've said the very same thing several times over - and not that long ago.

As you said it's been done to death in several long, comprehensive and informative posts very recently.

They must appear if you search for it.

CSMA membership is limited to those with a pulse and a driving licence - although if one or other is absent the problem can usually be circumvented by a kind word in a sympathetic ear. In practice it costs nothing annually as you get Insurance Legal Protection thrown in for nothing.  I've said all this before - Heaven forbid I should repeat myself. Heaven forbid I should repeat myself.

Edited by oldstan
  • Like 1

warranty direct quote 450+/- recently via the web, then a phone call dropped the price to around 360+/- I have a copy of the cover which includes fair wear and tear mail me and i'll forward said info!

As with all things to do with insurance, you need to get a copy of the full terms and conditions for all the extended awrranties your are considering and then examine and compare them in depth.  My (cynical) view is that the more words they contain explaining the cover, the less cover they actually offer.  JMTPW.

• Like 1

Go for the Skoda Warranty it will be the best cover of them all. 

That's wrong. The Skoda one excludes a number of things.

I bought a Warranty Wise one. £960 for 3 years with breakdown cover, MOT cover, covers premature wear, things changed in pairs, etc etc. Only trims aren't covered. I can use any garage I want, with labour up to £200 per hour.

Go for the Skoda Warranty it will be the best cover of them all. 

Not always!

Their mileage limitation precluded me joining.

The CSMA policy is good, but you do have to be a member.

And when I'm up for re-election to the National Motoring Committee next year I shall be hoping you'll all support me!!

Not always!

Their mileage limitation precluded me joining.

The CSMA policy is good, but you do have to be a member.

And when I'm up for re-election to the National Motoring Committee next year I shall be hoping you'll all support me!!

Graham, why do you need support? Has your recent affliction got a lot worse? :giggle:

Fred

bought a Warranty Wise one. £960 for 3 years with breakdown cover, MOT cover, covers premature wear, things changed in pairs, etc etc. Only trims aren't covered. I can use any garage I want, with labour up to £200 per hour.

Which level of cover did you buy, eg 04/40?

Re. the CSMA warranty (£144 PA), I've said the very same thing several times over - and not that long ago.

As you said it's been done to death in several long, comprehensive and informative posts very recently.

They must appear if you search for it.

CSMA membership is limited to those with a pulse and a driving licence - although if one or other is absent the problem can usually be circumvented by a kind word in a sympathetic ear. In practice it costs nothing annually as you get Insurance Legal Protection thrown in for nothing.  I've said all this before - Heaven forbid I should repeat myself. Heaven forbid I should repeat myself.

... I've got both of those, but neither me, nor the missus nor anyone in my family works or has ever worked for any qualifying organisation...

... I've got both of those, but neither me, nor the missus nor anyone in my family works or has ever worked for any qualifying organisation...

Ah, but you forgot that time you worked for the Post Office, just after it stopped being called GPO.  It's a qualifying occupation.  I left in 1973 and they still consider it OK.  Of course Post Office records don't stretch back that far, but if they did I'm sure they'd probably show that short period you was with them.  In all honesty they want customers as much as anyone else.  I'm sure your membership will benefit them as well as yourself.

Ah, but you forgot that time you worked for the Post Office, just after it stopped being called GPO.  It's a qualifying occupation.  I left in 1973 and they still consider it OK.  Of course Post Office records don't stretch back that far, but if they did I'm sure they'd probably show that short period you was with them.  In all honesty they want customers as much as anyone else.  I'm sure your membership will benefit them as well as yourself.

I worked for the GPO when it was the GPO!, Do I qualify, I only left last year?

I worked for the GPO when it was the GPO!, Do I qualify, I only left last year?

Given that you worked for the GPO when it was the GPO AND are still alive to tell the tale then you get honorary membership  - and a medal and a telegraph from the old KIng

I wouldn't worry about it.  CSMA doesn't - if you apply online stating on the drop-down that you 'previously worked for the Civil Service or related organisation', that's it.  No further questions - you're in.  CSMA can't afford to be too picky!

This is a product underwritten by insurance. If you obtain it by false pretences or fail to comply with the conditions you could come unstuck.

I wouldn't like to pass judgement on that. CSMA aren't an insurance company. Once THEY, the CSMA,  have accepted you as a member then you're judged to have been accepted and, to the best of my knowledge, aren't then investigated by the Flying Squad to see that you're not a threat to public safety and are free to subsequently apply for their products, offered by, and  contracted out by them, in the form of insurance, finance, holiday let products etc.  How it would stand up in the High Court I honestly haven't given (and will not  give) give vast amounts of attention to.

Now when I applied, I have to say I wasn't quizzed or interrogated or subjected to checks to see if I'm wanted by the Brinks Mat investigation squad...in fact I, or a relative of mine, ticked a box to say that, at some point in the past (43 years ago, in fact)  I worked for one of the relevant organizations. And that was that.  I've been a member, on and off for ages and, as I say, don't seem to have been investigated or had to provide CRB documentation or swear an oath in court despite buying and using and claiming from a variety of their offerings (insurance or otherwise).

So if you're suggesting that the enquirer joined by means of ticking a particular box, and then took up, say, breakdown cover - and then called them out to fix a puncture - and would subsequently be required to provide confirmation of his (or a relative of his) employment 40 or 50 years ago - before they attended to the breakdown, then so be it.  It would be his choice what to do.  I do, of course, see the point you're making and it would be a case of weighing the risk of such a transgression and making the appropriate judgement call (to use a modern turn of phrase ;) )

TBH it's no skin off my nose and if it's an issue that a prospective purchaser would have concerns about then by far the better course of action would be to go elsewhere (and pay twice as much). So not a problem at all.  But in connection with your ticking that box that relates to your long deceased Aunt Maud, who cleaned toilets in the Dept of Foreign Affairs in 1951 - and in doing so legitimately allows you membership to the hallowed corridors of the Civil Service Motoring Association ..... if any one thinks that you'll have your warranty claim rejected on the basis that Aunt Maud might not have, in fact, carried out those vital duties in 1951 then I'm a monkeys uncle.

Edited by oldstan
  • Like 1