Pulled over for having DRLs on

bobnaldo

I've had Citroen C5 and Mondeo with cornering lights in the headlight. ie a proper 55W halogen shining sideways.

These are excellent.

44472.JPG

Every VAG car I've driven with cornering fogs I've found the additional lighting a bit poor and the look a bit naff.

Cheers

Lee

Edited by logiclee

There is often a certain selfishness with many drivers that wonder why other road users are not so enthusiastic about their wonderful lighting system.

I know i complain lots,

but my biggest current gripe is a Range Rover Evoque in town, sitting at junctions, give ways  etc Tea Time.

Unless you are in a high car, you can come around the corner of a dim street lit area and there is a Cornering Light shining right in your eye.

Same junction a few nights a week, i come across the same Evoque, and i see a few others around, but not as bad as this one.

and if i am in my Jimny no problem, i am sitting higher and they do not bother me, she gets the full beam treatment, after all she is stationary! Cant do any harm can it?

If in my Picanto or Fabia i am blinded.

I see her getting flashed often around town, and not as a warm welcome.

People like that dont seem to understand why theyre getting flashed. The dont know their headlights dip to the left, and they simply dont think about it.

Iv flashed similar people in the past, but they just sit there wondering what day it is

I suspect they know exactly why you are flashing them and are sitting there thinking 'plonkers', what is it with all these luddites that have no idea how modern car lighting works.

A bit like the Police officer at the beginning of this thread.

Main beam if far brighter than a DRL or cornering light so you are as bad as them, blinding everyone who is unlucky enough to be facing your car.

Are you talking Cornering Fogs, like you have , Poverty Spec ones. One Fog light that lights up, or do yours swivel.

rather than the Real Cornering Lights,

Head Lights that swivel, or do you have them as well.

& are you Meaning Full Beam, when you say Main Beam?

So these things when shining at you as a car reverses is OK,

Well it might well be, for the driver, and they obviously never bother you as you go along a road and the first you know a car is swinging out to reverse park is a Fog light shines at you, One Fog Light.

Dipped beams on in rain or drizzle is normal all cars should have them on.

Fog Lights can be quite a PITA when not suitable for the conditions, but the Non Ludites seem to like a Fog light shining willy nilly as they turn their steering wheel in town , and that can be a good thing.   Odd. very odd.

Police are reported from time to time as also stopping people with One Fog light coming on,

When are these Driving Professionals going to get down with the Hip Kids.

Technology Smart Young People.

Are you talking Cornering Fogs, like you have , Poverty Spec ones. One Fog light that lights up, or do yours swivel.

rather than the Real Cornering Lights,

Head Lights that swivel, or do you have them as well.

Cornering fog lights are not poverty spec, whatever that means. They are fitted to top end cars such as Audi, Mercedes and BMW.

Vehicles fitted with cornering fog lights are type approved. When set up correctly and when working as intended it is unlikely they will dazzle other roads users anymore than standard dipped headlights.

The Skoda Yeti you have pictured has cornering fog lights as well as xenon headlights and your picture demonstrates perfectly how they aren't overly bright.

I suspect, as has been mentioned in many other lighting threads that you simply have a dislike for modern vehicle lighting or simpy aren't able to appreciate the clear advantages offered with the advances being made.

Edited by silver1011

Always 'If',

well lots are not set right, or the car sits at an angle and the do dazzle.

Facing nose up at a junction and the likes, and they are not like a Dipped beam.

And what are the advantages in daylight in the rain that they offer the driver?

One Fog light coming on when there is no Fog!

What they lack is an easy on off switch for when they are not required.

If it is suitable conditions to put on One Fog light, or just have it come on automatically at below 30 mph or in reverse, why not just put on Two?

I can't speak for non-VAG manufacturers but the cornering foglights can be enabled/disabled using Maxidot (where fitted).

I'd say you are more likely to be dazzled by a car's ordinary dipped headlights as it crests a hill or rounds a left hand bend ahead of you, let alone improper use of main (full) beam as previously mentioned, accident damaged or poorly adjusted headlights, bulbs / HID kits not suitable for on-road use, cars following too close behind and lorries, vans and 4x4's with their higher mounted but correctly adjusted headlights.

The cornering foglights only operate at speeds under 25mph so speeds are likely to be slow and therefore in the unlikely event those with sensitive eyes are affected the results will be insignificant and will only serve to entertain (or irritate) the non-believers

• Like 1

Still never heard why if there is the need for One Fog light to come on why not Two Fog Lights on.

Highway Code is clear on the use of Fog Lights in reduced Visibility.

So we know they are allowed, but best just drop the Cornering Fog thing and stick with the T-W-A-T lights.

this way and that as you turn your steering.

Still not seeing where the Safety Feature is of them.

If you need to see around a corner or to reverse in the very very dark places use your lights or use a pair of lights.

Not all road and pavement users are in vehicles, hence the Highway Code guidence on using Fog lights for those in Motor Vehicles.

EU legislation used by manufacturers and hence available and legal in the UK hardly means those with a brain need to think the technology looks big or smart used all the time.

Vehicles fitted with cornering fog lights are type approved. When set up correctly and when working as intended it is unlikely they will dazzle other roads users anymore than standard dipped headlights.

Alot of cars use the fogs for cornering function, yes.

Fogs are undipped and dazzling, this is why its not legal to drive with fogs on in anything other than poor visibility. So how can it be right for one fog to come on when its turning, potentially towards you, on a junction or wherever

This is why i dont understand how they can get type approval, but obviously somehow they do.

Fogs are undipped and dazzling, this is why its not legal to drive with fogs on in anything other than poor visibility. So how can it be right for one fog to come on when its turning, potentially towards you, on a junction or wherever

This is why i dont understand how they can get type approval, but obviously somehow they do.

It use to be, and might still be, based on wattage but as we know we know have types of lighting with low wattage but high luminosity.

the fog lights on my abarth 500 come on without side lights or main beam being on, but it also has seperate DRL's that can be switched off in the menu.

Looks pretty funny with fogs, headlights & DRL's on at the same time! sure it must blind people. :bandit:

It could be argued fog lights are dipped as they are angled down and are designed to project low and only immediately in front of the car. 

They are supposed to shine under a thick blanket of fog and not over long distances.

I also get annoyed with drivers who drive with their front fogs on, but not because they are bright and dazzle but due to the mentality of the driver who has for whatever reason decided to turn them on unnecessarily.

This is why I don't get the cornering fog light 'haters', they don't dazzle, they just irritate those who can't appreciate the benefits of them.

The cornering fog lights on my Octavia, Superb and on the Yeti I once drove are great. No benefit in well lit urban environments but brilliant on the slow, tight rural roads I spend a lot of time on.

cornering_lights.jpg

image_2.jpg

Edited by silver1011

• 1 month later...

2 pence worth and prob been covered but i dont have time to read the whole thread... id have told him to Fxxk off and then after all the ensuing crap from him complained to the force and waited for an apology, then they could look to re-educate the "man on a power trip"

Only had my VRS since Monday and have already encountered several issues with these from other drivers.  I'm hoping it doesn't continue like this.  Had one flashing hazard lights and pulling over in front of me the first night I had it, then had various people putting their front fog lights on or headlights coming the other way.  It's not like I'm doing it intentionally and I've checked to make sure my headlights are dipped.  I've had low front fog lights on most of my cars and would never switch them on unnecessarily.  I believe even if you switch the DRL's off the lights will still come on as side lights anyway so as mentioned you'd probably have to pull a fuse.  I think the Monte Carlo's lower front light cluster works better for practicality with separate front fogs and DRL's.  Even if it had the straight line of LED's it would be less confusing to other drivers and police.  I think Skoda messed up a bit here.  The side lights and DRL's should really be in the main headlight unit I think like other manufacturers, so you still have front fogs lower down.  Just my humble opinion obviously.  It would just save a lot of hassle from those who don't seem to understand, including the police!

The car I'm trying to buy uses the fogs (dimmed) as DRLs so I expect I'll encounter this too.

More annoying than that, though, are all the prats over the last couple of days who are driving in fog with no lights on whatsoever.

• Like 1

This is why when I picked up my Monte Carlo I asked the dealer to swap the DRL's for LED's that I'd brought with me.

There's no confusion at all - blue white light "oh thats his DRL's", normal bulb "oh he's got his fog's on".

I'm sure that your reasonable and temperate reaction would achieve the desired reaction.

I dont have a reasonable temperament at all when it comes to bigoted, I know it all police officers who cant read between the lines when someone is explaining that the car came this way from the manufacturers and therefore would have passed any VOSA inspection or MOT for that matter.. what he was asking by way of removing the fuse to stop them working in my eyes would constitute it not being as manufacturer intended..

Once again it falls back to peoples lack of education on the changing technologies in cars, bikes, whatever!! 

Yes my reaction might have been strong, but I dont have time for people stuck in the dark ages, and I wouldn't be surprised if the Police office who pulled the OP over was in his 50s and had no idea what LEDs were let alone DRLs... He must be a busy man pulling over pretty much every other car he sees these days instead of eating doughnuts...

Just incase any coppers are reading this...

From 2011 onwards, DLRs will be mandatory for all new cars and small delivery vans in the EU. Trucks and buses will follow in August 2012. Existing vehicles will not have to be retrofitted. Currently, 17 EU countries already have some form of DRL legislation.