Do you have a plan B?

My TSi VRS was ordered back in December and is due for delivery sometime just before the automobile becomes obsolete in society.

I happened to be having a conversation with the wife last night (don't ask, I have no idea how that happened either!) and, to cut a long story short, see announced 'You don't have the patience to wait for that, what's your plan B'.

Now aside of if she's right or wrong about the patience thing, she got me on the plan B as I hadn't given it a second thought! I've seen a few threads about people maybe walking away from delayed VRS orders so thought I'd ask what is, or what would be your plan B if for whatever reason the VRS was no longer an option.

I had a poke on carwow earlier and got an offer of just over £6k off a new Merc C250 CDI AMG Sport Premium Plus from a dealer a fair distance away. To be honest I'd never consider the C Class but it made me take a look and it seems not a bad package so I chucked a note back to the dealer and on the same PCP terms (deposit, mileage, months etc) it's nearly £25 cheaper per month than the VRS even though they are only offering 5.9% - of course there's no servicing offer but the servicing package added brings it to the same price of the VRS.....it's likely they'd have a stock car too as the only option bar the paint was a different set of wheels, I'm seeking clarity on factory lead times.

Anyone any experience of the new C Class?

Cheers,

James.

Plan B = stock car. Worked out well! P Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

I can definately see the merits here but would likely have to lose something that I'd chosen and not sure that would ever sit right, then again niether does an undertimable long wait!

Plan B for me, looks to be an Audi A4. Only thing is you cant get the 2.0 TSi engine unless its Quattro and DSG, which also makes it way more expensive.

A 1.8 SE Technik with a couple of options to bring it close to my ordered vRS spec (less heated screen + seats) is around the same as my negotiated vRS deal using carwow, its just missing 50 bhp :think:

Placed order for VRS on 26 October, was told last week that delivery would not be until June so have cancelled tthe order and got deposit back.

My plan b was a jag xf sportbrake 200 luxury - went to the Jag dealer last Saturday, got over £5k off, free servicing for 3 years. Factory order, pick it up around 23 March :-)

• Like 1

I'm guessing both the A4 and C Class are available on excellent discounts because they are models reaching the end of their life cycle. That said, they are both much better cars than the Skoda so not to be sniffed at at the sorts of prices they are being offered at. Drive the Deal were doing some insane offers on the A4 black Edition a month or so ago ... Something like 30% off list on the lower powered Diesel engine model.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Couldn't make anything work on the Audi front and don't see any benefit in a VW.

Interested in the XF as its a nice motor so may take a look there, the wife won't be happy but there you go.

The Merc is indeed on run out with the new model due June. I've never had a Merc and do think they've come along way so will take a closer look, I also found out they have some in stock so could have one within 2 weeks, also the PCP that was cheaper was actually over a 6 month shorter period.... not seeing many negatives here.

Had a Superb before so would like to try something different, just hat a Mondeo titanium x sport suggested but I can't get excited about that really, not against a top end c class or VRS...... of course the other question is how I approach getting my deposit back if I wanted to....

If I were facing waiting months for a vRS TSi and didnt need all the space I think id strongly consider a new Leon Cupra 280 manual 5 door. Now that'll be some car for the money.

Autocar have driven it and whilst its blatantly going to be faster they've also suggested it drives better than the Golf GTi which was a surprise....does have the e-Diff and adaptive dampers as standard though.

Edited by pipsyp

Thinking about a plan B too, as I've only just ordered and it's the variable wait times that introduce doubt as to whether to stay with VRS estate or not. pec'd to what I want it is just over 29K list. It's replacing a Superb 170 4x4 elegance estate.

I'm now thinking about ordering an e class 220 AMG sport estate with just a couple extras. With 5.6K off it's working out cheaper than new Superb and just a bit more than VRS. Superb was first Skoda for me, and I've been very happy with it, and VRS was to have a change of dash to look at over next 3-4 years ;)

Just waiting to see how long factory order wait is or if I go for a stock one, and then decision time.

Cheers

Steve

The GT86 is a great car, so the Fiesta ST actually. I don't need toms of room but do need more than they offer unfortunately.

The 280 Leon is definitely going to be good drivers car but I've just never liked the interiors one bit and that's what I tend to see most.

The Mercs are looking hard to beat right now, going to check a C250 AMG Sport premium plus over the weekend and go from there.

I don't really want to eat the deposit on the VRS but even if I had to I'd be better of financially and have new car early March.

I don't really want to eat the deposit on the VRS but even if I had to I'd be better of financially and have new car early March.

I fully intend to get my deposit back if I cancel. As they can't confirm a delivery date, you are quite within your rights to cancel and get a full refund. On speaking to my dealer, they agreed and although used to it with Skoda, they are just as frustrated with the situation.

Skoda don't seem as flexible/willing to react and ramp up production to match orders of popular models, especially for RHD. However, seeing as the are the most profitable, as a margin %, of the VAG group they are obviously managing their costs well.

I had the same issue when I ordered my Superb estate in late 2010, there was a six month waiting list, in the end I managed to get a stock car, minus a few options but mostly to my spec. I'm seemingly not very patient! ;-)

The only problem I found with Mercedes, having owned a C class before I got my first Skoda was the dealers. They are truly shocking, when compared to Skoda dealers. The labour rates are fixed by MB, as are all costs. You need to provide the insurance cover for courtesy cars which are typically high end cars. When I needed some warranty work, I had a top of the range E class which was nice to drive though.

I dare say that if you order any non standard car from the VAG stable then the waiting times will be the same as they are all subject to the same parts supplier demand.

My bugbear is I need the space in the rear seats and a decent boot.

Noting the options above, the C class looks to be the same rear legroom as the A4, with a bit shorter boot.

My main problem is the reviews on the C class mention poor road and wind noise and a lack of refinement in the cabin materials.

That leads me back to the A4 and less power :(  ... Kind of shows why the Octavia vRS is so popular, it ticks more boxes than most in its price range.

As soon as I get a build week, I can decide which way I want to go, maybe there has been a lot of cancellations and I'll get moved up (crosses fingers).

TBH I don't know why I am getting impatient (other than I always am), there is no real reason I can't wait, but it's the uncertainty that doesn't help.

Well I've pinged the dealer an email to see how the land lies re cancellation so we'll see, financially I'd be better of even if I lost the deposit but thats not the point!

I've no experience of MB dealers so that's an unknown, I do know a couple of guys that use the local dealer so will ask them for their view, local Skoda dealer has always been very good.

I've also read mixed reviews so going to go have a good look and a drive to see. I think rear legroom will be a bit short of that in the Vrs but read somewhere the boot space is up there with the class leaders.

Having had 2 vrs the mk3 is very appealing but that said I've never had a Merc so might be nice to try something new.....arghhhh!

I have a C Class and a VRS. The list price for my Merc was about £10K more than the VRS I know when you are taking about PCP deals etc that doesn't matter but in a comparison I think it does.

The C Class is a C220 AMG sport Auto and the VRS a TSI Manual.

Space - If this is important to you the Merc is significantly smaller inside than the VRS, inside the cabin and also the boot. Although the cars are about the same dimensions park them next to each other and the long bonnet on the Merc shows you where the space has gone. Don't get me wrong the Merc interior is a very nice place to be and does feel in a different league to the Skoda but with the difference in list price is should be. I specced our VRS to a similar standard to the Merc however the Merc had everything as standard (remember £10K more). The controls in the Merc are a LOT better and easier to use. The touch screen on the VRS is hard to use when on the move but the wheel/ mouse type set up on the Merc is brilliant.

To Drive - Really depends on my mood, totally different cars and hard to compare, the VRS begs to be driven hard and the Merc is really good for a relaxed journey. Last summer I drove the Merc from Lake Como to Hertfordshire in one go and it swallowed the journey with aplomb. The Merc does feel more planted on the road and doesn't hang about (so the C250 will be even better) but the TSI in the VRS is by far the better engine and now I've unplugged the fake sound really refined with so much punch I can't help but grin every time I floor it. So the Merc for stop start commute and VRS for the weekend family duties.

Either car will be a good buy but....and this is a big but. When you are spending a lot of money on a car I would be gutted that 4 months after my new car arrives it is the old model. You will get a good deal on the Merc as they are shifting old stock, I'm not even sure that the Sport Plus is still available new. In June the new C Class will be appearing in many company car parks across the land (Not mine as they have really screwed up with the interior on the new one and I couldn't live with the stupid stuck on infotainment screen) and you will then be driving the old C Class not the new VRS. Don't get me wrong the C Class is brilliant and shows where the additional £10K has been spent, but it does feel a little dated now and if you are coming from Insignia will feel very cramped inside.

The thing is when I'm walking out of the house and both cars are free. I do find that the VRS keys are the ones in my hand. (Unless it's sunny and it's only me then it's a whole different story!!)

post-109025-0-57576100-1392974878_thumb.jpg

post-109025-0-56410300-1392975071_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

That's great feedback, thanks.

It also pretty much correlates with my current feelings too. I don't need the space, this is really my work car, may have a couple of kids in once in a while but likely never more than 4 up, hence coming down a segment size wise. We have a Grand C Max for family duties which does all the weekend work.

I'm a petrol head at heart and fuel costs aren't my biggest concern (hence having the VXR) and like to be able to take advantage of the sportier drive when the mood takes me, that said opportunities to do so in this country seem less and less and most of my trips are motorway and stop start..... of course its the inside where I spend my time so the higher class the interior is the better.

I get what your saying about having an old vs new model and it would normally bother me, however I, like you, don't like the interior of the ne C class So its not so much of an issue. I need to get a brochure and go through it to check what tech/spec isn't available due to the platforms age and see if there's any show stoppers, luckily it seems Merc are normally early adopters so even though its an older model it seems well loaded.

Kind of hoping Skoda dealer offers to lend me something as an incentive to stay put as that'll sway it, otherwise it'll be a weekend of confusion I think!

My plan B was to use one of my parents cars until it arrived, but due to a change in circumstances and my head (Octavia VRS) being ruled by my heart (something quick), my heart won so I cancelled the Metal Grey VRS Combi Manual TDI order...........

Edited by tamkyo101

The C class is almost being given away now, due to the new model on the horizon.

Plan B's (Assuming similar budget)

--------------------------------------------

Drivers Car (dont need the space) = Seat Leon FR 184 (dont bother with the Cupra). 

- Same Engine, gearbox, rear suspension setup, interior etc.

- Lighter car

- Plenty of cars in showrooms with reasonable extra

- Front Parking Sensors!

Drivers Car (Need the Space) = 320d Tourer

Motorway muncher = Merc C220

- Wait as long as you can till before the new model

- Haggle HARD.

- Pushing for servicing included