DPF Removed but ECU not changed...?

Hey!

I'm getting a full stainless steel system with a dpf replacement with a straight through pipe.

My question is do I need to get the ECU mapped with a dpf delete straight away? Or can it wait a few weeks - my only reason for waiting is I want to get a stage 1 map with a dpf delete at the same time.

So exhaust first then a few weeks later the re-map.

Will I run into any problems?

I have a Octy Derv VRS 2007.

Many thanks, I look forward to hearing your replies :)

Think we discussed this in your other thread about exhausts?

As the DPF is an integral part of how a standard car runs, I really wouldn't do what you're suggesting. The ECU is expecting it to be there and you've removed it.

I did ask which tuner you're using and who is removing the DPF and what process they're using. Personally if I was needing this doing, I'd go to somewhere like Shark Performance where removal and required remap can be done at the same time.

The way a friend described it to me (mot tester) it will be a visual check ie straight through would be an instant failure. Same as a decat. If you have the dpf's inners removed and there is no visible signs of this and mapped out correctly ie the dpf light comes on and goes out as it should upon startup you should be fine.

Edited by duv
  • Like 3

Right, I live in Lincoln and I'm having a place called Mr.Tyre remove my DPF and replace it for a straight through. I then wanted to go to a place called Corten Miller and have a stage 1 re map done by them ( which is done through Revvo ).

I'm not lucky enough ( or haven't found a place ) that'll do a physical DPF delete and remap all in one.

As for the MOT I'm lucky enough to have a guy who said as long as they car passes on all safety aspects and the smoke test...he's not overly concerned weather he can visually see a DPF or not as long as I can top his fridge up with a few cans to which I thought was fair enough.

Ps- Wardy as for the process they'll be using it'll just be a case of taking the old one of a fitting me a stainless pipe from the turbo back to the flexi pipe ( as my DPF is located at the very start of exhaust process, almost in the engine bay )

• Like 2

Right, I live in Lincoln and I'm having a place called Mr.Tyre remove my DPF and replace it for a straight through. I then wanted to go to a place called Corten Miller and have a stage 1 re map done by them ( which is done through Revvo ).

I'm not lucky enough ( or haven't found a place ) that'll do a physical DPF delete and remap all in one.

As for the MOT I'm lucky enough to have a guy who said as long as they car passes on all safety aspects and the smoke test...he's not overly concerned weather he can visually see a DPF or not as long as I can top his fridge up with a few cans to which I thought was fair enough.

Get yourself over to the guys at Shark, worth the trip! you get what you pay for with this kind of work and no offence intended but I would not let anyone called "Mr Tyre" start chopping my dpf to bits!

I would not wanna run the car unmapped with the dpf removed, I drove mine to shark in limp mode and she got very hot!

pay the extra and get it all done at the same place, better then if you have any issues. I believe Shark have reduced the price for the 2.0 pd engine now. Mines a 2007 VRS Tdi and was done at shark :-)

• Like 2

Make sure you get to keep the old dpf.

Personally I'd find a broken one at a breakers and do the appropriate with that or wait until the mot thing.

Apparently as of the 14th of this month dpf removal is now illegal :/

Grrrrr. Just going to have to settle with a cat back system. Also as for the guys in Hykeham do they have a rolling road to do a before and after of the figures?

Apparently as of the 14th of this month dpf removal is now illegal :/

Grrrrr. Just going to have to settle with a cat back system. Also as for the guys in Hykeham do they have a rolling road to do a before and after of the figures?

Do a search, the DPF / MOT issue has been covered plenty of times on here. 

I don't care about the legality of it. I want it re-moved. MOT isn't a problem for me. It's just finding a place that'll remove it.

Shark will remove your old one and gut its insides then refit it so its still intact.

they did mine and removed my egr at the same time and mapped both out completley plus stage 1.

cars ran sweet ever since and done over 10k on it. mines on 124,000 miles now.

DPF removal is not 'illegal'. That brings a whole new dimension to things if it is!

I think what they mean is that the upcoming MoT changes are perhaps stricter in their checking for the existence of a DPF, if the vehicle was originally fitted with one.

To get this done properly, I would drive the 30 miles across from Lincoln to Shark Performance HQ in Mansfield. Peace of mind, and a proper job, without needing to drive the car without correct mapping. Job done.

I'm ringing Shark tomorrow ( based in Mansfield ) and going to see if they'll do me a full turbo back system with DPF removed and then a stage 1 re-map with DPF delete.

Any ideas what kind of shock my bank balance is in for? I'm hoping no more than £600 or am I being unrealistic :/

I don't care about the legality of it. I want it re-moved. MOT isn't a problem for me. It's just finding a place that'll remove it.

I'm sure if VOSA find certain MOT centres have been turning a blind eye both the company and tester will be in hot water

DPF removal is not 'illegal'. That brings a whole new dimension to things if it is!

I think what they mean is that the upcoming MoT changes are perhaps stricter in their checking for the existence of a DPF, if the vehicle was originally fitted with one.

To get this done properly, I would drive the 30 miles across from Lincoln to Shark Performance HQ in Mansfield. Peace of mind, and a proper job, without needing to drive the car without correct mapping. Job done.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/caradvice/honestjohn/10516106/Removal-of-a-DPF-is-illegal.html
  • Like 1

I'm sure if VOSA find certain MOT centres have been turning a blind eye both the company and tester will be in hot water http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/caradvice/honestjohn/10516106/Removal-of-a-DPF-is-illegal.html

That link says it is illegal to use a vehicle with a dpf removed. It is not illegal to remove the dpf. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to remove the dpf on a track car.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk