Towbar Preparation not required in UK?

HI, About ten days ago whilst looking at a new Octavia in a dealers, I asked the question what does Towbar preparation include. The salesman told me that he had looked this up and in fact in is not required in the UK and is a mistake in the UK broucher and should not be in it.

He told me this was just required on the continent.

Not sure if this information is correct as I tend not to believe most things sales people tell me. But I did confirm with him that I did not need to get Towbar preparation for

my new car.

Anybody else been told this?

AFAIK Tow Bar Prep runs the socket for the CAN loom to the boot from the ECUs up front. You still need to buy the CAN loom.

A good installer can run the CAN loom the length of the car and plug in direct. Makes you wonder what the point is?

E.g. I got a fully coded towbar fitted without Towbar prep with no issue.

Niall

• 2 weeks later...

Fully wired 13-pin electrics not yet available from Skoda. Apparently they are working on it. Until then you can buy a full wiring kit elsewhere. I've found a couple at www.pfjones.co.uk. I've used a Westfalia kit from here on my Mk2 VRS and it's fine.

I still think it crazy you can't get it factory fitted!

I ordered the towbar prep as its having a dealer fit jobbie before I get it - hopefully all working..

Buying a car with towbar prep will just save you some costs, when installing the towbar. Simply because you don´t have to run power and CAN from under the dash to rear of the car, which means you would have to dismantle a lot of trim and panels in the cabin. With towbar prep there is just a plug in the rear of the car, which plugs in to the towbar controller.

• Like 1

Mine's on a company lease, T; I just assumed it would be needed.

I've no idea which dealer is even supplying it but the Fleet Management company has agreed the dealer will fit the towbar before the order was placed.  I had a choice of fixed or detachable as well.  Gone for fixed as it acts as a handy deflection device (more than once).

CJSVRS, I think they are available, or at least my dealer has assured me that a 13 pin outlet will be fitted to my new Octi combi - I refer to you an earlier thread: 

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/304960-factory-tow-bar-prep/

C4miles - I was in my dealer yesterday asking about this and the aftersales manager showed me on the Skoda parts system there is a big red warning panel stating the 13-pin wiring kit does not provide split charging functionality and to warn customers. He told me it has been raised with Skoda and expected this year, but not currently.

It is obviously possible a dealer can arrange to have the wiring added but it would appear not available within the 'kit'.

I'm buying the 'bar from Skoda and the wiring kit from PFJones. Then will fit it myself or get dealer to do it if I can negotiate a good price. (Bearing in mind delays I'm hoping the good price is FOC!)

Well, CJS , I can only repeat what my dealer has said to me:

`The tow  bar fitting will have a 13 pin connector.

This will be suitable for any item that uses this connection.

And have all the functionality that a 13 pin connector should have.

As long as your caravan has a 13 pin connection to run all the things there in then the tow bar we supply will be all you need.'

Hopefully I will know for sure in a week or three.

I suppose I will have to put a meter on the 13 pin connector, does anyone know which pins handle the split charge, and what current/voltage there should be with the engine running?

It's pin 10 and you need engine running usually above 1200rpm. You should see 12v or more.

Most caravan agents can check it for you with a simple test plug.

As I said your dealer may well sort this for you but have it wired in addition to the Skoda kit.

Why Skoda don't have a wiring kit while Westfalia do seems strange as I think they make the Skoda tow bars.

Hi guys, this gets more confusing. Just off the phone to pfjones. They do provide the twin electrics wiring kit, according to the guy on the phone skoda just seem to supply the single electric version even although it's the same manufacturer westfalia. Just don't understand why skoda don't seem to support the twin electric kit? Going to see if local dealer will fit the twin kit if I supply it!

Steve

Definately 13 pin, I had to go buy a 13-7 adaptor to take the trailer to the dump well, it last went in November and there's only so much you can get in the wheely bin.

Regards

T

Nice smooth bumper cutting job :s

Definately 13 pin, I had to go buy a 13-7 adaptor to take the trailer to the dump well, it last went in November and there's only so much you can get in the wheely bin.

Regards

T

Not sure how to include picture in quote.

If you look at the picture in the original post of themanwithnoaim above you will see that several sockets have no brass contacts. They are not wired. These missing pins are for the split charge etc used for caravan towing. If you just tow a small trailer or use it for a bike carrier this is fine. If you want to charge a caravan battery and keep fridge cold while towing it you will need a fully wired socket.

Not sure how to include picture in quote.

If you look at the picture in the original post of themanwithnoaim above you will see that several sockets have no brass contacts. They are not wired. These missing pins are for the split charge etc used for caravan towing. If you just tow a small trailer or use it for a bike carrier this is fine. If you want to charge a caravan battery and keep fridge cold while towing it you will need a fully wired socket.

Good point, we've only got a retro 80's style foldup caravan (called Mabel) and a dump run trailer so, it works for us but its gonna be no good for the big boys toys.  Either way the car's on a PCP so we went the dealer route to avoid any handback problems.

Regards

T

Hi folks, just placed an order for an Octavia and this thread is useful because I included towbar prep.

So if I take a summary from the above towbar prep of £170 gets you:

- Wiring from the front of the car to somewhere near the back and a plug that a future towbar fit can plug into

So NOT a mount for a towbar itself and NOT a plug to plug your bike carrier into as I assume the wiring supplied is only there as far as to make it easier to run a short bit if wiring from this factory fit cable a few more inches to the actual towbar itself?

Wacky. I might just get the towbar prep removed from the order. A total towbar fit is normally only 300-350 anyway. What do people think?

Depends who fits it. I think a removable tow fitted by dealer is in the order of £800! At least that's what it was when I looked into it for my MkII.

Depends who fits it. I think a removable tow fitted by dealer is in the order of £800! At least that's what it was when I looked into it for my MkII.

I was quoted £450 to fit a detachable towbar to an Elegance estate with towbar prep by my local Skoda dealer.

Hi folks, just placed an order for an Octavia and this thread is useful because I included towbar prep.

- Wiring from the front of the car to somewhere near the back and a plug that a future towbar fit can plug into

So NOT a mount for a towbar itself and NOT a plug to plug your bike carrier into as I assume the wiring supplied is only there as far as to make it easier to run a short bit if wiring from this factory fit cable a few more inches to the actual towbar itself?

Wacky. I might just get the towbar prep removed from the order. A total towbar fit is normally only 300-350 anyway. What do people think?

I think I would get a couple of quotes first before removing the towbar prep from the order.

http://www.witter-towbars.co.uk/towbars/towbar.php?id=159565&year=45

• Like 1

Supposedly you get an upgraded cooling system but the main part of the option is the wiring running from the front of the car to a plug underneath the wheel arch liner trim in the boot of the car to save the trim being pulled out by the towbar fitter. Unless you get more than £170 knocked off the fitting bill then as far as I'm concerned it isn't worth it.

Ian