So what you been doing to your VRS lately?

Big Lee

Had the car a month and spent that time replacing steering rack and finding where the water ingress was coming from. All fixed and now onto a manifold change. Which I will do myself if anyone has any tips on changing it.

Then it'll be taking it back to standard look wise. Removal of wrc spoiler, standard suspension and then get bits resprayed and finally enjoy the car.

• Like 1

Oil change: castrol edge and oem filter

New hybrid wiper blades (not convinced they'll bed in to the curve of the window yet)

Rebadge lettering on back as the orange stain from debadging was annoying me.

Jacking point pads from Awesome gti.

New Pagid discs and pads all round.

Breather simplification (found mother of all splits) and michi catch can install.

2x Hancook EVO v12 on front, wheel alignment booked for Wednesday (getting lot done for 192)

oem fuel filter

dipstick tube (now there's a story)

Coming soon: copper core plugs, attempts to sort intake temps and low boost top end. Smoke test and probably actuator fit. Removing door rubbing strips, brushed aluminium wrap for interior, new side sections for undertray.

Pics will follow, just been major busy doing all that with everything else in life, don't know how men cope sometimes.

Yesterday i has fixing with great succes a knocking driver seat.

I wanted to much to make a detailed DIY but I was in a hurry and forgot to take the pictures.I know many folks have this problems especially on the recaro seats

Here's what has been done to the car lately:

• LCR front splitter

CppwyaE.jpg?1

C5WT8YX.jpg?2

• Creation motorsport PCV lower breather hose (previously installed the crankcase breather hose). One split SOB came out:

MLFF8HC.jpg?1

• Throttle body clean
  • Cleaned and re-greased seized windscreen wiper mechanism
  • New front grille badge

The to-do-list. I've got a busy spring ahead. The car is going to receive some much needed chassis TLC and some other bits and pieces:

Chassis and suspension

• New bushings all around. A mix of Superpro polybushings, Audi TT/R32/Fabia vRS/Seat LCR OEM and solid aluminum bushings
  • Complete tie rod

b1wqR8Z.jpg?1

VJVumT3.jpg?1

• AP lowering shocks and springs

fs9g8OI.jpg?1

VqUkwdb.jpg?2

It sure is tough times for the German suspension industry when the chief suspension engineer of your company needs to drop her clothes... :peek:

• New genuine hardware (nuts, bolts, bearings etc)

Rb0iP4G.jpg?1

• Driveshaft seal and gearbox oil

QdjaxJv.jpg?1

• Rear ARB

Interior and exterior

• Painting and installing my genuine WRC rear spoiler
  • Front WRC style rubber bumper-lip
  • Installing black Mk4 interior carpet
  • Vinyl wrap roof and mirrors

Engine and drivetrain

• 3" DP, 200 cell sport-kat, 3" cat-back exhaust
  • SAI, N249 removal (engine bay simplification)
  • New DV
  • Rebuilding stock drive shaft
  • or to keep it simple - everything on Rob's Pimpmyskoda guide... :yes:

Hope to create a project thread in the next few weeks

• Like 3

Pics time, hybrid wipers

20150421_124241_zpssayyic5n.jpg

Jacking points (note whiteline rarb, one of the lucky few with the last shipment!), new fuel filter there too carrying signs of grease from protecting the jubilee clip, now zip tied,

20150421_090847_zps00csrbh2.jpg

Rebadged rear

20150421_122036_zpszckbbmf7.jpg

New front boots, nice ride as it goes

20150421_090856_zpst7d9bdde.jpg

Ripped out this crap

20150417_185624_zpshbzgzex1.jpg

Found this, the top came off and remained inside the Y pipe

20150417_185606_zpsakujryxl.jpg

Bust dipstick tube.  The inner socket broke off and remained inside the pipe to the sump, fortunately, the single use oem clips which I'd spent the last hour cursing (hateful things) came in handy, bent one in half, slid it in and lifted out the remnants of the dipstick first time!  Don't think any bits fell down either, flicked out a couple of tiny bits, looked like a clean break.

20150417_185551_zpsl5glme4n.jpg

Fitted this, can courtesy of boomsly on here, shout going out.  I wanted black pipes but these blue fluoro lines were half the price, do the math, quality stuff to.  Can recommend ASH hoses on ebay.

20150417_190945_zpsnknzbjcn.jpg

New Pagid discs and pads all round, bedded in nicely and more positive with the brake servo simplification above.

20150421_090905_zpsgiycudda.jpg

Also did the centre console in brushed aluminium wrap this morning, very nice stuff, more compliant than the carbon, bit more of  a pain with air bubbles but hardly needed the hairdryer.  Doesn't look out of place at all, similar shade to the clocks.  Too bright for a pic though, light just bounces off it and you can't see the texture.

More to come, watch this space...

• Like 3

love the new badges on any colour but my black one lol , good work btw , i really need a catch can

The Michi can is nice, and with it having a proper in/out baffle system you know it's actually doing something proper. Message Lloyd I think he's expecting more to be available soon. Cheers by the way.

• Like 1

Pics time, hybrid wipers

Jacking points (note whiteline rarb, one of the lucky few with the last shipment!), new fuel filter there too carrying signs of grease from protecting the jubilee clip, now zip tied,

Rebadged rear

Ripped out this crap

Bust dipstick tube.  The inner socket broke off and remained inside the pipe to the sump, fortunately, the single use oem clips which I'd spent the last hour cursing (hateful things) came in handy, bent one in half, slid it in and lifted out the remnants of the dipstick first time!  Don't think any bits fell down either, flicked out a couple of tiny bits, looked like a clean break.

Fitted this, can courtesy of boomsly on here, shout going out.  I wanted black pipes but these blue fluoro lines were half the price, do the math, quality stuff to.  Can recommend ASH hoses on ebay.

New Pagid discs and pads all round, bedded in nicely and more positive with the brake servo simplification above.

Also did the centre console in brushed aluminium wrap this morning, very nice stuff, more compliant than the carbon, bit more of  a pain with air bubbles but hardly needed the hairdryer.  Doesn't look out of place at all, similar shade to the clocks.  Too bright for a pic though, light just bounces off it and you can't see the texture.

The cars looking good really good mate

• Like 1

Pics time, hybrid wipers

Rebadged rear

Ripped out this crap

Nice car, beautiful rims.

I'm doing my interior with brushed titanium vinyl wrap. Ordered it yesterday. I need to try everything before going for carbon fiber because: A everyone around here has it on their ugly ass Volvos and B my brothers and friend(!) (yes only got one of them) laughs themself to death every time I mention carbon fiber and Skoda in the same sentence.

Also, Pagid discs and pads are top stuff. Can I ask you how you simplified the brake servo? Did you remove the above stuff and connect one end to the catch tank?

• Like 1

not a vrs but also done my centre console in a brushed finish, avery brushed black

2en5kb6.jpg

done my roof bars also, to match my roof
23s6rm1.jpg

and also new badges as the old ones were beyond done
30coa2u.jpg
  • Like 3

Nice car, beautiful rims.

I'm doing my interior with brushed titanium vinyl wrap. Ordered it yesterday. I need to try everything before going for carbon fiber because: A everyone around here has it on their ugly ass Volvos and B my brothers and friend(!) (yes only got one of them) laughs themself to death every time I mention carbon fiber and Skoda in the same sentence.

Also, Pagid discs and pads are top stuff. Can I ask you how you simplified the brake servo? Did you remove the above stuff and connect one end to the catch tank?

Cheers guys. They're just standard spiders in good nick with the rallye centre cap decal. Yeah brushed Ti sounds nice, should work well and you'll see the stuff that isn't wrapped doesn't look like it has to be like happens with carbon fibre. Pleased with the Pagid discs and pads, nice finish and feel.

I did the brake servo at the same time as the catch can. Take out the y that splits to the one way valve on inlet and the one that dives down in between the inlet and crankcase. Leave the one way valve on and join straight onto the hard pipe you've exposed. It passes under the 2 catch pipes. The T in the cc pipe goes down to the 90 degree elbow which is down near the bottom of dipstick, bit of a pig to get to having not done other deletes. The elbow is revealed by taking out the crankcase breather Y, the 2 vacuum hoses that come out of the manifold, the lowet breather, the pipe mentioned previously and the hardline that goes to TIP, and the T piece they feed into under intake mani. To be honest I don't think I'd have done the brake servo and vac simplification if I wasn't doing the catch can. But you can happily do the catch can without doing the vac lines. If you zoom in on the pic you'll see the servo line passing under. I used Bowders1's guide and Rob's pimp my skoda pages for the OCC and vac simplification, they make it pretty clear. How it worked pickled my egg slightly at first but then it clicked and I just did it. Was manageable even with my basic skills. The hardest bit was unclipping and removing the crap to be honest, did I mention those clips are bloody horrible? You need fluoro lined hose for the OCC (19mm internal) and 13mm silicone for the for the one way valve to servo. Think I used a mixture of 8 and 6mm blanking caps. The TIP takes a 10mm plug where the hardline was, but mine was getting weak round that nipple so didn't want to fight with the oem clip, so I just capped the joiner that comes out of it. Watch out for setting up the hoses for any rubs. After I do an install I keep check every couple of trips for a while to see how it's bedding in, lucky I did as the jubilee clip for my DV was beginning to rub the OCC pipe from the PCV on the TIP (nice rhyme), so I just had to spin it round a bit.

Be wary of cheap ebay catch cans, there's only a few (including the michi) which actually do a proper job of capturing anything meaningful and circulating properly. They cost a bit but it's worth doing properly. Lloyd55vrs is the contact on here to get a michi can, think there's some due soon.

not a vrs but also done my centre console in a brushed finish, avery brushed black

2en5kb6.jpg

done my roof bars also, to match my roof

23s6rm1.jpg

and also new badges as the old ones were beyond done

30coa2u.jpg

The Ti wrap looks good, basically a darker version of the aluminium.

• Like 1

The Ti wrap looks good, basically a darker version of the aluminium.

yeah there is a few finishes to choose from, i went with black and really like it but titanaium does look nice too.

Oh and today got my alignment done. Had it done because my last set of fronts started scrubbing and the outside edges just fell off a cliff. Turns out toe in was a fair bit out, but evenly strangely enough, so the car was still centred, but doing my tyres no good at all.

If you have wheel bearings done do you have to do anything with the track rod ends? The timing of the scrubbing seems to coincide with getting my front bearings done.

Anyway, hopefully now I'll get a better lifespan out of the EVO v12. Seem like typical Hankook. Quite soft in the sidewall but a nice drive with good grip. Quieter than the ventus prime and on par or slightly better mpg, the ratings have them the other way round...Bullshuvism. My man at the tyres place don't take much notice of the ratings, apparently the results don't come from real world road testing, apparently no one really knows where they do come from.

Noticed a split in the steering rack gaitor though, getting those done on Monday.

yeah there is a few finishes to choose from, i went with black and really like it but titanaium does look nice too.

Sorry I misread your post and typed too quick for my brain, I meant your darker wrap looks nice, pardon I.

Cheers guys. They're just standard spiders in good nick with the rallye centre cap decal. Yeah brushed Ti sounds nice, should work well and you'll see the stuff that isn't wrapped doesn't look like it has to be like happens with carbon fibre. Pleased with the Pagid discs and pads, nice finish and feel.

(...)The hardest bit was unclipping and removing the crap to be honest, did I mention those clips are bloody horrible? (...)

Be wary of cheap ebay catch cans, there's only a few (including the michi) which actually do a proper job of capturing anything meaningful and circulating properly. They cost a bit but it's worth doing properly. Lloyd55vrs is the contact on here to get a michi can, think there's some due soon.

Thanks for the detailed writeup! I'm deffo going to do the catch can conversion along with the vac simplification.

Spiders are very good looking rims IMO.

Those OE clips are horrible. I had one sitting right under the intake when I changed the lower PCV breather hose. Problem was that I couldn't use good old brute force since it was located on a plastic T-piece connector. I wonder how many German engineer hours VW paid for when designing those clips? DIY? - Nein!

I've found out that the best way is to get a wire cutter and cut the loop in the clip. Then gently pry it open with gradually larger screw drivers. This is if you can't get to the end of the clip and pry it open from there.

When changing wheel bearings you need to get an alignment. Well, this depends on if you loosen the ball joint locking plate on the wishbone(3 stretch bolts) or take of the ball joint-to-hub bolt. The locking plate bolts affects camber.

KTP one question, how much vinyl did it take to wrap the roof? I calculated approx 150x200 minimum. Planning on doing mine with gloss black.

yes 2 LM is enough, you will have a little bit left over too. roof is maybe 1300 x 1700 (very roughly)

Thanks for the detailed writeup! I'm deffo going to do the catch can conversion along with the vac simplification.

Spiders are very good looking rims IMO.

Those OE clips are horrible. I had one sitting right under the intake when I changed the lower PCV breather hose. Problem was that I couldn't use good old brute force since it was located on a plastic T-piece connector. I wonder how many German engineer hours VW paid for when designing those clips? DIY? - Nein!

I've found out that the best way is to get a wire cutter and cut the loop in the clip. Then gently pry it open with gradually larger screw drivers. This is if you can't get to the end of the clip and pry it open from there.

When changing wheel bearings you need to get an alignment. Well, this depends on if you loosen the ball joint locking plate on the wishbone(3 stretch bolts) or take of the ball joint-to-hub bolt. The locking plate bolts affects camber.

I'm assuming they didn't realign the wheels, they were my go to garage but they're slowly falling out of favour now. Yes, I need some wire cutters! Oh and when I said they're 'just spiders' I didn't mean that as it sounded, I do like them, great standard wheels and really suit the car. Don't think I'll ever change them, may do colour change though.

I'm assuming they didn't realign the wheels, they were my go to garage but they're slowly falling out of favour now. Yes, I need some wire cutters! Oh and when I said they're 'just spiders' I didn't mean that as it sounded, I do like them, great standard wheels and really suit the car. Don't think I'll ever change them, may do colour change though.

IMO they should at least inform you if they tampered with the alignment without fixing it. I love it when the go to garage rips you off slowly over time.

OT: When it comes to wheel alignment I'm that guy that every alignment shop hates. Here in SWE they take around £80-100 and all they intend to do is to turn the tie rod a couple of times and that's it. Well, since we Briskodians aren't the average customer that is not good enough (read Skoda owners equals a bit of a cheapskate.) When I had my car aligned last time I got it back and my results were off the scales. When I had to explain thrust angles, negative vs positive camber and why you HAVE to test drive the car after an alignment I realized that I need to be much more in control of my mechanics from now on. They even had the nerve to complain that my way of wheel alignment was time consuming. That's Sweden for you...

I looked for new rims all weekend but then I realized that the 17" Spiders are so nice on the Octavia. I run 15mm hubcentric spacers too. Like you said, maybe some new color. I'm thinking about painting them in Anthracite or gun metal grey. Though, my dream wheels would be the ATS GTR. Too bad you have to order a minimum of 8 rims à £500 from them  :notme: .

• Like 1

IMO they should at least inform you if they tampered with the alignment without fixing it. I love it when the go to garage rips you off slowly over time.

OT: When it comes to wheel alignment I'm that guy that every alignment shop hates. Here in SWE they take around £80-100 and all they intend to do is to turn the tie rod a couple of times and that's it. Well, since we Briskodians aren't the average customer that is not good enough (read Skoda owners equals a bit of a cheapskate.) When I had my car aligned last time I got it back and my results were off the scales. When I had to explain thrust angles, negative vs positive camber and why you HAVE to test drive the car after an alignment I realized that I need to be much more in control of my mechanics from now on. They even had the nerve to complain that my way of wheel alignment was time consuming. That's Sweden for you...

I looked for new rims all weekend but then I realized that the 17" Spiders are so nice on the Octavia. I run 15mm hubcentric spacers too. Like you said, maybe some new color. I'm thinking about painting them in Anthracite or gun metal grey. Though, my dream wheels would be the ATS GTR. Too bad you have to order a minimum of 8 rims à £500 from them  :notme: .

Yeah they've started to annoy me lately, I wanted them to fit my refurbished actuator. 'Big job, turbo has to come off' they said, I've since learned it doesn't, just needs to be dropped a little, manifold off. Anyway, booked it in, 'can't do it, haven't got time, haven't got gaskets, turbo needs to come off you see.' They said, yes I said, that's why I booked it in. They're fair with prices and favours so will keep them on side, but as you say will keep a watchful eye. Well pleased with my tyres place (Huw Lewis in Lampeter if anyone is interested) full lazer alignment, £20, sound chaps, getting them to do gaitors for me, give myself a break from that garage.

I was thinking of white for my wheels...

Had plans with my girlfriend tonight. Car heard about the plans and decided otherwise...

• Electric window regulato

Broke down for the gazillionth time. This time I replaced the whole regulator with a brand new pre asembled one I bought last year on ebay.de since this one was too far gone to save. All I had to do was to switch the motor over to the new unit. PM for seller info

UOCdkTr.jpg?2

• Random stickers

I put these on a while back. Discreet but a nice addition to the otherwise dull Mk 1 interior. Made by a forum member. Great stuff. I've got two logos on the outside of the car too and these have withstood wear, sun, and pressure washing without any damage for two years.

PfBRTHi.jpg?1

oMennJn.jpg?1

• Vinyl wrap (work in progress)

I also received my vinyl wrap I ordered from ebay UK. Will try to wrap the interior parts this weekend.

fmj0TlH.jpg?1

Carbon fiber (gloss)

DIgWT8W.jpg?1

VlzxTML.jpg?2

Brushed titanium

LgTeXxH.jpg?1

RoiuGjV.jpg?1

The plan is to do the interior with the brushed titanium and maybe the side mirrors with carbon fiber. The brushed titanium is really good looking. It looks different depending on lighting and the vinyl has a metal like texture to it.

Exciting!