Might be about to be less than honest with the missus...

Gyp

How about the number plates?

Private plate; transferred.

I'm expecting the current car to look like this :-

2014-03-08%2009.41.20.jpg

And the 170 to look like this :-

• Like 3

I'd just be honest. Seems like the wrong route to take, going to those lengths to effectively deceive.

State the reasons for swapping and the cost. Against what you'd spend on the 110.

Don't think the 170 will be dramatically more costly to run.

• Like 4

Like the change, as Wardy said, Just be upfront about it. That's what I did when getting my Yeti. I had an 11 plate 1.2 SE but I spotted a DSG 62 model online, printed it off & just showed it her. What do you want to do about it? she said. Give 'em a ring while I get it washed. I replied.  Two hours later the new car was mine.

Mind you it was all my money I was spending!

I take it a lot you have said is tongue in cheek, if not you must have a lot more balls courage than me.

But seriously if you really want it and its feasible finance wise go for it or you will regret not doing it later.

If you did happen to be serious god help you if she twigs. :think:

Does she drive it? If so you're ****ed

Not at all.

Indeed, despite my missus being on my insurance for the last 17 years, our neighbour's fit younger sister has driven my cars further than the missus has.

That was about 2 cars' lengths. The missus has driven less.

I don't think you'll find the 170 that much more expensive to run.

Other than a haldex oil change about every 30k miles (IIRC?) it's only a bit down on mpg because you are not pushing it so hard all the time as a less powerful 110.

My Mum has a Greenline and averages 52mpg.

I average 47mpg in my 170 4x4.

• Like 2

Who is buying the car you or her, buy it and tell her. My moneys my money, my wife`s moneys hers. Obviously we share bills etc but she buys what she wants and I do likewise   

• Like 2

Be imaginative.

Paint a negative picture of the shortcomings (bhp & brakes) on your Yeti. List the costs of addressing these issues.

Explain how an opportunity has arisen to buy a 170 at a price compatable with that of uprating your existing Yeti.

Problem solved.

Remember that bull**** will always beat brains.

Just do it, you drive the thing not her,

other half said same, you buy a skoda and am not getting in it,

ok i said and went out and bought a VRS,

funny but she still wants me to take her to work

• Like 4

I'd just be honest. Seems like the wrong route to take, going to those lengths to effectively deceive.

Ok, I admit, there's no intent to deceive long term.

When we bought the Yeti, she kept on suggesting I should spend the extra and get a 140 or 170 4x4. She suggested that I might not be happy with the performance of the 110 long term.

It was me with my sensible head on thinking purchase price, road tax, fuel consumption, servicing, how often I'd need 4-wheel drive (never) etc that steered me towards the 110.

If I'm honest, the performance of the 110 is pretty good, and I do quite enjoy driving lower powered cars that force you to think and plan ahead rather than using the loud pedal as a cure-all. It's more the braking that's a concern.

I'm wondering if a 170 with its big brakes would make me feel even happier than I am with the 110, but I am also genuinely concerned about the running costs.

And with regards to the missus, I just thought it would be fun finding out how long until she worked it out. :-)

• Like 1

Get brownie points by admitting she was right about considering the 170 in the first place, then go and do it!

Treading a fine line-thin ice etc, admitting that a woman could be right about anything to do with cars :think:

I think I might have done it a while ago but I got away with it!

I would not have a " 4x4" without 4 wheel drive, as thats like having a vRS with a 1.2 TSI engine . My wife bought a real 4x4 as her job necessitates weather cannot stop her from going to work, as we live on the moors with 20% hills and she works in the second highest location in Yorkshire necessitates the need for one, so yes say you were right love!

I'm feelin' the love guys, but I'm really not sure about the telling the missus she's right thing.

It sets a very ugly precedent.

It's the sort of slippery slope that no 4-wheel drive system's going to help with!

• Like 3

Private plate; transferred.

I'm expecting the current car to look like this :-

And the 170 to look like this :-

What colour is this please

That's not entirely fair of me; the colour is now called Petrol Blue, though it was called Lava Blue when it was introduced. Same colour, two names.

We argue whether it's blue with a bit of green or green with a lot of blue. Either way i like it, though it's a swine to clean.