I didn't know it could do that!

Had my first proper long drive today, from Bournemouth to Basingstoke and then on to Cheltenham and then back to Bournemouth, fair bit of traffic, mixed roads and still got over 37mpg on my TSI VRS,..well pleased (brim to brim calc)

Anyways, whilst having a bite to eat, playing with the menu in the car, I set the alarm to beep when I lock and un lock the car,...didn't know it would do that!

So, what does your car do that has taken you by surprise, the hidden functions that you didn't realise?

My cars all curb their wheels by themselves. I don't do it, and the wife denies doing it, but somehow it just happens.

I bloody hate them self curbing wheels,... lol!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Had my first proper long drive today, from Bournemouth to Basingstoke and then on to Cheltenham and then back to Bournemouth, fair bit of traffic, mixed roads and still got over 37mpg on my TSI VRS,..well pleased (brim to brim calc)

Anyways, whilst having a bite to eat, playing with the menu in the car, I set the alarm to beep when I lock and un lock the car,...didn't know it would do that!

So, what does your car do that has taken you by surprise, the hidden functions that you didn't realise?

Could do the same on the MK2 if you had maxidot.

I like the fact you can actually disable the rain sensor now and revert to having a regular intermittent wiper; also I can disable the high beam assist on mine and just have regular main beam control.

lots of things on the MK3 have been well thought out; I do still think some elements of the infotainment system are a bit overcomplex though.

My biggest bugbare...receiving a phone call. I hate the way that it puts you into phone mode rather than just giving the pop up window on the infotainment. Also if you dont hang up a phone call by pressing the right wheel and use the phone button it puts the maxidot into phone view. Be much better if it just reverted to its previous view and the infotainment remained on its previous mode.

Ive also noticed that if you unlock and lock the car quickly you fool the folding mirrors and they fail to retract unless you unlock and lock the car again. Also if you unlock the car and it self locks it fails to retract the mirrors which is a bit of a shame.

Could do the same on the MK2 if you had maxidot.

I like the fact you can actually disable the rain sensor now and revert to having a regular intermittent wiper; also I can disable the high beam assist on mine and just have regular main beam control.

lots of things on the MK3 have been well thought out; I do still think some elements of the infotainment system are a bit overcomplex though.

My biggest bugbare...receiving a phone call. I hate the way that it puts you into phone mode rather than just giving the pop up window on the infotainment. Also if you dont hang up a phone call by pressing the right wheel and use the phone button it puts the maxidot into phone view. Be much better if it just reverted to its previous view and the infotainment remained on its previous mode.

Ive also noticed that if you unlock and lock the car quickly you fool the folding mirrors and they fail to retract unless you unlock and lock the car again. Also if you unlock the car and it self locks it fails to retract the mirrors which is a bit of a shame.

The fact that it goes into phone mode and stays there even when you've hung up (so you've manually got to go back to the media screen) is pretty much the only niggle I have with the whole car. Which says quite a lot about the car, I suppose.

First world problems eh? A few years ago I never thought I'd be complaining about how my car talks to my phone.

I stalled for the first time last week and it restarted automatically which impressed me.

Yeah thats a very nice feature isn't it.

I don't know why more manufacturers dont advertise "Stall Recovery" as a special feature.

• Like 2

Yeah thats a very nice feature isn't it.

I don't know why more manufacturers dont advertise "Stall Recovery" as a special feature.

The Bravo just used to display a message that said "insufficient engine oil pressure" after a stall, but as there wasn't much room on the display you only got "insufficient engine" which seemed quite appropriate.

On similar lines to the auto-restart I've noticed that it won't actually engage the starter until the glow plugs have had time to warm up which is nice.

On similar lines to the auto-restart I've noticed that it won't actually engage the starter until the glow plugs have had time to warm up which is nice.

There's another thread on this, you don't need to hold the key in the starter position either.  Just switch the ignition on and turn the key to the starter position straight away and let go, when the engine is ready it will start it self. :)

• Like 2

The fact that it goes into phone mode and stays there even when you've hung up (so you've manually got to go back to the media screen) is pretty much the only niggle I have with the whole car. Which says quite a lot about the car, I suppose.

First world problems eh? A few years ago I never thought I'd be complaining about how my car talks to my phone.

manually got to go back to the media screen ... doesn't that just mean you only have to hit the media button?

• Like 1

I discovered quite late that there was a second 12V outlet in the boot. Also I wasn't immediately aware that you can use the outlets without the key in ignition - none of my previous cars have allowed this.

Both of these things are very convenient. I use 12V outlets quite heavily in the summer, mainly for inflating things, and the fact that I can now do it more easily and from the boot is very nice.

Also:

I ordered an estate with the cubby partitions on both sides. One of the nook partitions has elements that you can take out and velcro to the boot floor to keep things in place - this I also didn't know.

Also:

Surprised to find out how much more storage room the Octavia has inside the front doors compared to previous (mainly Japanese) cars.

I probably could've done more thorough research before placing an order but so far it's been only positive surprises.

Edit: last week's main discovery was that the front doors can hold even wider Burgundy-style wine bottles. That's impressive!

Edited by johh

One thing I discovered is that the 10 second screen time-out on the entertainment settings doesn't remain once the car is turned off.  I have to reset it every time.

Yeah that it is a pita.

Permanently powered 12v sockets can be a blessing or a curse. I need to unplug and remember to plug back in my dash-cam every time I drive the car. The flip side is that the car can record everything that happens when I leave it parked somewhere unsafe (Tesco's, public car parks etc).

• Like 1

manually got to go back to the media screen ... doesn't that just mean you only have to hit the media button?

Indeed but backwards step from the MK2 FL infotainment IMHO. The Amundsen + in my old car used to show phone info only when making/receiving calls on the main screen and maxidot if not selected permanently; used to revert to the selected mode upon completion of the call.

Have also noticed if you dont hang up with the scroll wheel the maxidot reverts to phone display too. The back button takes you to the main menu rather than back to the previous selected view which is also a bit poo.

The overall functionality is great dont get me wrong (even voice control isnt tragically bad) but it could be a bit more simple to use; at times it diverts too much concentration away from the road to achieve even basic things that'd be no trouble in the old car.

Also as I have drive mode selection (as do most UK Octy owners) i have a suspicion the current postion text for the nav is not shown in place of what drive mode you have selected which is a shame. On my old car in map view the nav used to constantly advertise in a bar along the bottom of the screen which road you are on; now you have to have it in compass split view or have the nav info displayed in the maxidot to see this.

I love the car I do but it has to be said in some respects its two steps forward but one back in some areas.

Got to admit..the lane assist is really good for those who are on long journeys, although its a bit freaky and if its needed you shouldn't be driving or arent in control, its pretty cool technology. Wasnt expecting it to be any good tbh.

Also the little led light just below the sunglasses holder pointing down to the centre gearstick area are neat!

• Like 2

I switched keys this week as the leather fob fell of the one I was using. I was surprised when it autolocked, and did various other things that seemed to evidence that preferences are set key specific, so If I really shared my car we could have different settings.

Wife's old 807 did this and it was useful with power memory seats,etc., but I havent got those on my O3, still quite neat, even if not of use for me.

• Like 1

One little thing I thought was good is when you stop on a slope briefly and press the footbreak the breaks will hold you about 3 seconds after release to make that perfect hill start!

Loving this car!

Steve

• Like 2

One little thing I thought was good is when you stop on a slope briefly and press the footbreak the breaks will hold you about 3 seconds after release to make that perfect hill start!

Loving this car!

Steve

Hill hold, works for upto 2 seconds.

• Like 1

Loads... and most of them are in the owners manual   :giggle:

You guys have a real car to test, much more than the manual.

Make a long press on the "0.0/SET" button located under the counters. Press and hold until "Battery Status" displays.

• Like 1