Unreliable unlocking with KESSY

Hi,

As posted on another thread, I've been experiencing increasingly unreliable unlocking with KESSY. If I press the key fob it unlocks every time.

Locking with it doesn't seem to be a problem.

Is this a known problem?

Martin

Hi, I've got a Prius with keyless entry and if I have my phone and keys in the same pocket I struggle to unlock the car. Just thought that might help.

Hi,

As posted on another thread, I've been experiencing increasingly unreliable unlocking with KESSY. If I press the key fob it unlocks every time.

Is this a known problem?

Martin

I have just started to have this problem intermittently with exactly the same symptoms . Could it be a failing battery in the fob?

Chris

Hi,

Is this a known problem?

Martin

Well there's a few of us on here with KESSY that appear to have intermittent issues.  For me locking is more of an issue - try to lock 'keyless' and then after a few attempts sometimes I resort to the fob, which means fumbling around to find the fob and this defeats the whole point of KESSY.   Has some advantages but on balance its one of those features that is a bit 'gimmicky' IMO.

I've had this. Just had a new KESSY module from the dealership under warranty (picked the car up today).

If its under warranty, get it to a dealership.

Has it fixed the problem?

• 2 years later...

When my Kessy starts to play up I simply replace the battery and the problem goes away.

Bought four batteries on line (Phillips) for £2.10 delivered. Takes twenty seconds to replace a battery. £3 each from your dealer.

• Like 1

That is indeed the solution. As soon as the battery drops to around 3V (new is 3.3V), my Kessy lock/unlock starts failing. For our two keys that is about every two years. Since the batteries are not expensive, this is a simple and cheap to fix problem.

Strange thing is that their should be a message in the MFD warning you for a to-be-replaced battery. In my (MY2012) S2, I have never seen that message.

• Like 1

That is indeed the solution. As soon as the battery drops to around 3V (new is 3.3V), my Kessy lock/unlock starts failing. For our two keys that is about every two years. Since the batteries are not expensive, this is a simple and cheap to fix problem.

Strange thing is that their should be a message in the MFD warning you for a to-be-replaced battery. In my (MY2012) S2, I have never seen that message.

Confirm that. No messages either and under voltage of 3V opening - closing gets tricky.

yep had the same problem with an 18month old car,your supposed to get a message on the dash to let you know but i didnt.what is funny i started using the spare key and after a couple of succesfull lock/unlocks that started playing up aswell....i decided to change the batteries and 3 months in it hasnt failed a single time!!!!

I've found the battery warning message isn't that reliable and can be quite sporadic.  Best to change the batteries periodically I think, perhaps every 12 months.  I didn't opt for KESSY on my new SIII and TBH I will be glad to go back to the old fashioned approach of sticking the key in the ignition - plus I won't have to find somewhere to put the keys when I'm driving!

Thanks for the battery idea.

One of our key have this random KESSY opening issue.

That one have 2.98V

The other have 3.06V

Changed battery now to see if the problem moves to the other key.

I also noticed that the led on the key flashes under longer time when it works.

I have seen the low battery message a couple of times in 5+ years.

As I always use one key and the other lies idle most of the time the key "wear" is uneven so I have to consciously use the second key occasionally.

As above, I just keep cheap batteries to hand for the eventual change out.

My only KESSY niggle is when the car has been sitting unused for a few days and I need to use the fob to unlock the door as my hand on handle just isn't good enough.

My other "pilot error" niggle (like last Saturday) is occasionally parking in gear and wondering why the car won't lock. Numpty!

Same here. Never seen the battery message but had unreliable operation that I fixed with a new battery. Twice. Car is 4 1/2 years old now.