VW restricting Citigo's

kilted

Heard an interesting comment this week regarding build dates for Citigos.

It goes something along the lines that as the Citigo is built under license from VW and is currently selling far better, VW are restricting the number in order to get more sales for their car.

Not 100% sure of its validity but certainly food for thought.

I agree with Markyg.  It doesn't surprise me I have to say, it is the sort of thing that VW would do.  They couldn't stand by and see more Citigo's sold than Up's that is for sure.  Where I live there are plenty of Up's about although when I was out last weekend, they look so boring compared to my Sport. :giggle:

I used to like the glass tailgate and said so on the forum, took a drubbing for liking something that was like a Aygo/C1/107.  Prefer the Citigo all the way now.

I can't get my head around that people don't seem to buying the Mii in numbers?

the story I heard from our dealer is that skoda have to put their estimate of volumes for a model upto a year in advance to allow parts to be procured and assembly line time allocated

skoda underestimated the popularity of the citigo and vw overestimated, meaning skoda once their quota then have to slot into empty slots where other members of the group can't fill them with orders

sounds plausible to me

Correct about allocations request specially as UK cars are RHD, & the production lines are slightly different.

As i was told when i went to order my Yeti, SUK had to request an increase in allocation for the UK, but when they do this the same number of LHD cars have to be de allocted to allow additional UK builds.

Anyway who wants to pay 1000+ just for a VW badge ( i dont).

+2 lol.

I originally looked at an up and did the usual thing of looking at the seat and Skoda equivalents and couldn't believe how much better vfm the citigo was.

I've never seen another mii on the roads, I'm a bit surprised there as they are pretty good vfm too.

I have seen 2 Mii's on the road, not  impressed by the look, something's not right.

also seen a couple of Up's around, the glass boot looks stupid..

the Citigo is by far the best of the 3... thats just my tupence worth though,

as an ex cordoba owner - Seats occasionally look better,

but skodas feel better put together than our spanish cousins...

• Like 2

I have seen 2 Mii's on the road, not  impressed by the look, something's not right.

also seen a couple of Up's around, the glass boot looks stupid..

the Citigo is by far the best of the 3... thats just my tupence worth though,

as an ex cordoba owner - Seats occasionally look better,

but skodas feel better put together than our spanish cousins...

ermmmm,not sure to be honest,i have the mii 5 door and my son the 3 door both sport version,the reason we went for the seat skoda did not do the 75 engine only with stop start,i am old fashion and only wanted normal,but as for looks and build,thought they were from the same factory,and looks are in the beholder,and the other we have is the octi vrs

as I said, its is just my opinion on the looks :)

and as for the build difference, these could well all be built in the same factory by the same robots, and be the same.

I can only base my opinion on my experiences of both marques, which tbf, are/were older models,

from different factories - Cordoba and Octy, so may be a tad biased :D

Going back to the OP's comments - I'm not sure if I believe it. I think some people are losing perspective and putting too much emotion into this when the reality is more likely to be a purely ruthlessly, business-minded decision. All this "VW hate it when..." just seems naïve to my mind, especially when you consider the tiny portion of global sales that the UK Citigo/Up! market is for the worldwide behemoth of VAG.

I totally agree with Didescharlie. Also you have to remember what other models the Bratislava plant produce. I'm sure the other models have a better margin. So restrict the Citigo/Up/Mii and maybe produce more Touregs and Q7's to fulfil demand in the far east and the US?

I got told the same thing despite pointing out to him that they were the same car built in the same factory. He tried to tell me that VW used better quality parts.......

I got told the same thing despite pointing out to him that they were the same car built in the same factory. He tried to tell me that VW used better quality parts.......

I have found that every time I talk to a vehicle salesman in Skoda or VW, I know a LOT more than they ever do just through my reading of fora and reviews on the Internet. They seem either to have very little training or very little memory (brain?) power?!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Agreed... the vast majority of sales men are exactly that. they read the glossy brochure for whatever car they're selling and thats all they know...