Cambelt change and Haldex oil service (intervals and cost)

NGee

I've just been advised that the Haldex oil change is required every three years irrespective of mileage.  My recollection was that it was due every 60,000 km rather than on fixed interval.  Can anyone confirm what they have been recommended?

Oh, and the cost quoted was £61, which doesn't seem too bad.

Also, the cambelt kit replacement is being described as required at 4 years or 120,000 miles.  Again, can anyone confirm if this is what they have done/been advised?

This is a rather steeper £500!!!! :(

My Haldex oil was changed at the 3 year service, as instructed by my dealer, and that was certainly well over the 60000km distance. My understanding was that the service interval had changed. I think I paid £60.

I was also recently contacted by them as my car is now 4 years old, and was told that the cam belt needs changing. As I will be due a service in the near future it has been held over until then. However as I am now well out of warranty I suspect that it will be going to the garage down the road to be done, and not a main dealers, as hopefully it should be a bit cheaper than that.

The cam belt interval is strange. There seems to be no evidence that any dealers outside of the UK mention anything about the 4 years. The handbook doesn't say it either and only lists a mileage to change at.

Haldex should be 40,000 miles.

I was told from my dealer that haldex was due at 3yr or 37k last week,when I collected the updated sunroof drain kit.

Also they wanted £349 for the cambelt change and an extra £100 for the waterpump to be changed to.

I've just bought the Haldex oil from TPS just a bit over £20

The cam belt interval is strange. There seems to be no evidence that any dealers outside of the UK mention anything about the 4 years. The handbook doesn't say it either and only lists a mileage to change at.

Haldex should be 40,000 miles.

So when should the cam belt be changed? I've had the original dealer, the second service dealer I used, and my current service dealer all get in touch saying the cam belt should be done at 4 years! No mileage figure has been stated.

And Sinclair Skoda were quite specific that the Haldex had changed to just 3 years, on instructions from Skoda. if it had been 36kish then mine would have been done twice by now!! 

It's a good question Graham. For the cost and peace of mind, it's not a horrible burden to do it every 4 years even if it feels like one of those old money spinners like Americans and their 3000 mile oil changes.

Interestingly, I spoke with a VW independent today.  After confirming the engine type and date he advised that the cambelt interval was 5 years, or 60,000 miles (I think! - certainly 5 years).  This was for the CR170 engine since late 2009, which I think means all Yeti's.

He also quoted under £400 for the change, which is a bit more reasonable since the actual kit is c. £220.

I would prefer a definitive answer which could be cited publicly, but this chap is well regarded and probably knows more than the main dealer service desk. 

VAG specify 4 years for a cambelt change whatever the mileage. It's due to the possible failure of the plastic pulleys not the belt itself. It is also advisable to have the water pump changed at the same time as a failure of this can lead to the cambelt jumping a cog and a ruined engine.... :happy:

VAG specify 4 years for a cambelt change whatever the mileage. It's due to the possible failure of the plastic pulleys not the belt itself. It is also advisable to have the water pump changed at the same time as a failure of this can lead to the cambelt jumping a cog and a ruined engine.... :happy:

Absolutely, anything that can fail WILL fail IMO, particularly with so much labour cost involved in simply replacing the belt.

• Like 1

Are the plastic pulleys replaced as part of belt change?  I know it's advisable to have the water pump changed, but have not heard of the pulleys being suspect to failure.

Yes they are..it  is the pully tensioner that's the problem....      :blush:

Edited by looby

I expected the Haldex 4 oil to be changed at 60,000km as per my car's Service Schedule booklet but when I booked a service earlier this week I was told it was due every 3 years. A check of ELSAWIN confirmed that the latter was correct. I had the oil changed today, albeit 4 months late but at only 18,444 miles. The cost was £61.

The part number for the high-performance oil is G 055 175 A2.

I have no idea. The oil for the earlier versions of the Haldex - ie G 052 175 - and the oil above for the Haldex 4, are both described as:

Special working fluid for Haldex clutches. Developed by Haldex and Statoil.

With my 170 Yeti approaching 3 years old (28000 miles). I have just been to my local one man excellent (brilliant) garage (100 yards away) to make arrangements for MOT, Haldex oil change (thanks group for this info), intermediate oil and filter change between variable services, inspection for any warranty work etc. I mentioned the chat on this forum re 4 year belt cam belt change interval and he was more than aware of the discrepancies of recommended intervals. He showed me his large "bible" reference book which gave full details of every make of vehicles cam belt change intervals and showed me the Skoda entries. The book highlighted the long interval recommended by Skoda and the shorter interval - 4 years - recommended by Skoda UK. He commented. "Simply money making for service garages but you dare not take the risk of the longer interval". There were similar interval differences for all Skodas.

my 140 4x4 is 4 years old in june,had NO contact from dealer about haldex oil or belt change. I find this strange as I thought dealers like to empty your wallet as often as possible!!!.they contact me now and again to see if I would like to buy a new one though!!! have a small problem with handbrake,some plastic thing broken inside making it stiff to push down,works ok, they want £100 to fix :whew: .

mick.

Edited by freewheeler

Same here, nothing from dealer except reminders for both our cars MOT's, and several would you like to buy a new one messages. I wonder what the legal implications would be, with one saying change after a mileage, and now Skoda UK saying after 4 years regardless of mileage.

Interesting thread and brings to mind a salutary tale. My company car a few years ago was an Alfa 156 (company bought 2 of them - sadly). The service interval for the cam belt was 75,000 miles with an intermediate inspection. Both cars broke their belts within 3 days of each other (one at 45k and one at 54k) with catastrophic results > £2k worn of damage. To add insult to injury my colleagues car was refused warranty repair as one service was outside main dealer chain - even though the car was way inside the belt change interval. Dealer confirmed lots doing it - interval was subsequently reduced to 36k.

I do think it sucks that VAG need this done so frequently though as my Freelander was good for 100k miles and about 10 years - if you think about it it is a straight £100/ year on the running cost of the Yeti - so much for 21st century technology

Grumpy

Following on from my last post I checked with my ex boss in Germany - he contacted his local Skoda dealership and gave my engine details - they replied as follows:

They inspect the belt at the 90.000 KM mark, if good nothing will be done. However the change will be then done at 120.000 KM

If the car never reaches the 120.000 KM mark, they recommend to change the belt after 6 years

Why is UK different from Germany?

Grumpy

• Like 1

Just out of interest I've emailed Skoda UK and asked the question. I await their response and I bet it's not in writing.

An excellent idea.

I look forward to hearing what (if anything) they have to say.

Well, well

Just got to office this morning and I got a phone call from Skoda UK. Interestingly the conversation went like this:

Just calling to respond to your question - the timing is quite coincidental - we have just received a bulletin on this very subject from the factory and they say that from model year 2010 the belt change interval is being changed to every 5 years (still short of Germany's 6) I'll give it a few days then ask my local dealer if they've heard anything