Show your Octavia III Dashcam setups

One other thing I noticed is if you use the rear wiper piggy back fuse, when the start/stop cuts in you lose power to the camera.  Doesn't really bother me as mine has battery backup but when the engine cuts back in it resets my camera!

Mine doesn't lose power with SS. Rear wiper and camera still work when engine is off by SS.

Mine is using velcro stuck to the underside of the Octy's cam/ sensor housing. It lets me get the lens nice and close to the windscreen, which helps a little with reflections. To be honest i would have liked it a little higher up, but still wanted it hidden. ( well sort of. ;)  )

Yours looks nice and neat Ferret, an advantage being able to alter the angle. I may experiment with a stick on mount as well as the one I have.

I have the power from the rear wiper and have had no reset issues with mine either. Guess some of this depends on the camera. My lens is just the ordinary one, not the wide angle.

loadswine is that stuck/glued? The VRS appears to have a different rear view mirror mount to the Elegance

Here is my Mobius using a suction mount. Just about fits between the mirror and sun visor.

tattachicon.gifMobius-1.jpgattachicon.gifMobius-2.jpg

Great minds!

I won't post any pix as I've installed my Mobius cam in exactly the same way as yours. I think an advantage of using the standard mount is that I can alter the angles easily, and I've encountered no issues with using the suction cap on the black bit of the windscreen.

Probably the only difference is that I've connected the power to my pre-exisiting Ring Electronics 12v Can Multisocket which probably is not the preferred method for the purists!  

Collecting the OctyIII on Monday (I hope!) and the first job will be reinstall the cam.

Edited by Minimoke
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Read lots of good reviews about the Ipixi X100FHD dash cam, especially the parked mode. Has anyone got one and can provide some feedback?

Fitted my Blackvue DR380G HD this afternoon, decided to postion it to the left of the lane assist camera to keep it high and as discreet as possible.

Photo30-05-2014165256.jpg

Photo30-05-2014165308.jpg

My only slight issue is the amount of extra cable i've had to bunch up behind the dash, don't want it getting hot and catching fire but hopefully it'll be ok, i'll keep an eye on it for the time being.

Photo30-05-2014164434.jpg

One thing that did suprise me was removing the glove box to get to the fuses, i've read several posts on here on how it's a nightmare but I followed the instructions in the owners manual and it was dead easy, took about 30 seconds......

I'm getting a small amount of interference with the DAB signal since fitting mine, is it most likely to be the usb cable causing it?

If you're using a blackvue dual camera setup then there's a new cable available for it which resolves the issue.

Read here: http://blackvueshop.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?id=58

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got around to buy an EPrance 0801 mini. i've been using it with just the lighter charger plugged in whilst I made sure I was happy with it.

Going to give this a try to hard wire it in once all of the parts arrive - quick question: Those of you who have put your cameras on an always on fuse, what kind of battery drain have you noticed after 48 hours of not using the vehicle? Anybody had any problems? Also, 

Also - has anyone had any rattling/vibration issues with wires since doing this? Any particular areas that I should look at providing a bit of extra padding?

Finally - where do we stand with warranty work? Has anyone had their dealer give them a hard time trying to blame a hard wire install for a problem that it clearly wasn't related to?

Bought 2 Möbius cameras last night. Also got the cables for direct hard wiring to a12v car electrics. It has a box ( 12/5v transformation I presume) in the cable .... I'm hoping that is far enough from the camera plug that it can be hidden behind the dash.... Else I'll be sending it back and going the power socket route.

Has anybody got some photos of a rear install?  I guess you mounted by the high level brake light?

Anybody?   I'm just pondering camera position as will the shallow rake of the hatch tail gate cause reflections to be an issue?  If positioned under the high level brake light does it obstruct your view? Is beside it, or low down better?  Any tips useful.

I've just ordered the 0803. Not sure how to hard wire it , so could be interesting. Really wanted a dual cam (front and back), but the ones available that were relatively small were the Blackvue ones, and they were too damned expensive.

• 2 weeks later...

Visited a local nature reserve today where the parking is distinctly out of the way and has always felt a bit 'dodgy' due to the area it's near and the proximity to a few out of the way footpaths / cycle tracks etc.

On arrival we were met by a very dodgy looking group of feral locals on bikes, who were distinctly 'leery' as we passed, definitely checked out the car and immediately began hanging around watching us. Waited a while and they just sat down nearby, and while I may well have been feeling a bit precious and paranoid due to my new pride and joy I really don't think I was and there was no way I was leaving it alone so we bailed and went elsewhere (and again got leered at on the way back up the track).

I've also got to leave the car in an airport car park for 2 weeks later in the year, so it got me thinking about dash cams.

I'm sure I've read, somewhere, of a camera that as well as automatically recording when the ignition is powered up, can also detect motion outside the car and record when e.g. someone appears on the outside - but my Google skills have failed me this evening so I appeal to the font of knowledge on the site to point me in the right direction, please!

I'm quite tempted by something like the eprance G1W for price and features (HD, number plates etc.) and I've seen some threads here mention them (or at least eprance ones) but if I'm installing one I'd really like it to at least try to capture any ne'er do wells when I'm not driving. I do a lot of wildlife stuff and caving which involves being out and about late and in remote places and such laybys etc. can be a bit of a magnet for break ins, as well as people driving back from country pubs after a few to many who might be prone to a bit of swerving, taking off wing mirrors etc (although I appreciate they might be way past by the time the cam fires up in the latter case).

I guess an ideal one would have rear and front facing cameras (I'd get two anyway at the price of the G1W for front and rear screens but wonder if rear facing lenses might capture a face at the side or inside, maybe?)

Thanks for reading and apologies for lack of brevity :)

Great, thank you! Again I appreciate that people may not have tested this but another couple of questions spring to mind (and I might be asking too much from a camera TBH) - would the power drain in parking mode be enough to flatten the battery too much over a 2 week period? (assuming e.g a car park may have movement fairly regularly anyway)? Also say - if parked under trees etc. or at the side of the road, would movement from branches or passing cars be enough to fire it up (and therefore keep it on to much and kill the battery and/or fill the SD card)?

I fear I may be worrying too much and/or getting excited about the prospect of some gadgetry (incidentally SWMBO has vetoed the DTUK chip I'd been looking forward to getting)  :notme:

Great, thank you! Again I appreciate that people may not have tested this but another couple of questions spring to mind (and I might be asking too much from a camera TBH) - would the power drain in parking mode be enough to flatten the battery too much over a 2 week period? (assuming e.g a car park may have movement fairly regularly anyway)? Also say - if parked under trees etc. or at the side of the road, would movement from branches or passing cars be enough to fire it up (and therefore keep it on to much and kill the battery and/or fill the SD card)?

I fear I may be worrying too much and/or getting excited about the prospect of some gadgetry (incidentally SWMBO has vetoed the DTUK chip I'd been looking forward to getting) :notme:

Right Blackvue do power control boxes which you can buy to cut camera when the battery drops to a pre programmable level mine is 11.8v and for sensitivity iirc it can be adjusted in settings but not definite!
  • Like 1

Hmmm. Threads on the dashcamtalk forums (now I know what I'm googling for) suggest that passing cars and even rain on the screen etc. will activate the recorder in parking mode. I can see this becoming a PITA although clearly the smart power box would mitigate the risk of running the battery flat).

The twin-camera kit looks like the ticket although is the 720p rear camera up to the job? Also a lot more than I really fancied spending... especially as it looks like the rear camera would need the connection cable running through the headlining, which I don't fancy doing myself... 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151071891306?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

TBH I don't think the difference between 720 and 1080 is that noticeable. The frames per second is probably more important. As an alternative you could fit 2 mobius which are alot cheaper but Fubar recons the picture quality is much better though you have to buy the mounts and micro sdcard separately though they are only a few quid. You would need a usb power feed though but you can get cigarette lighter holders with them included off ebay, again for not much money plus don't forget the piggy back fuseholder for the front one and an in line one to run off the rear wiper motor feed for the back one. Size wise they are small too-aboit the size of a box of tic tacs. I do like spending other people's money......

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151071891306?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

TBH I don't think the difference between 720 and 1080 is that noticeable. The frames per second is probably more important. As an alternative you could fit 2 mobius which are alot cheaper but Fubar recons the picture quality is much better though you have to buy the mounts and micro sdcard separately though they are only a few quid. You would need a usb power feed though but you can get cigarette lighter holders with them included off ebay, again for not much money plus don't forget the piggy back fuseholder for the front one and an in line one to run off the rear wiper motor feed for the back one. Size wise they are small too-aboit the size of a box of tic tacs. I do like spending other people's money......

Mine seems alright so far clear enough to pick up number plates! However where my car is parked in the works yard where there is constant movement I set it up on ignition only!

I looked up the Möbius camera. Technoman does a great review on YouTube and the picture quality in light and at night is clearly excellent.  So I've ordered 2, they are in the post.  I hope to mount with just a bit of Velcro to the underside of the lane assist camera and the high level brake light.  I have already received the car wiring kit for them, this hardwires in and seemed a tiny bit cheaper than a power socket and a USB socket for that ( only by a pound or so) . still need to sort out fuses and piggy back holders but so far, 2 cameras, with 32gb SD cards, 2 leads, some Velcro...  investment is about £115.  I've gone for wide angle lensed cameras BTW.  Also got a waterproof case and helmet mount as intend to try out as a bike helmet cam, if it works I'll get a third camera in.

I've installed a Mini 0801 behind the rear view mirror and i am impressed with it, I'm not going to hardwire it as its as easy to plug it out of the lighter. i just tucked the wire away neatly and you only see the few inches of wire that goes from under the glovebox to the socket, i am going to get one for the rear as well...

Here's the linky to a blog on dashcams

• Like 1