Show your Octavia III Dashcam setups

Never even thought of that. Just been to have a look and there are two rubber tubes - one either side.

One must lead to the brake light in the middle so should be able to run it through there.

It's defo worth a go, might be fiddly as **** getting the plug through but it'll be worth it in the end.  Maybe push a straightened coat hanger through, tape the plug to it then pull it back through....

mmmm...

..goes off wondering if the eyelash fluttering at the next meet will work for me...

Depends if you have nice eyelashes? Maybe dress them up with some nice mascara, eye shadow and a complimentary shade of lippy  :kiss: 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm looking at a dash cam for my 2013 MK3 Skoda Octavia Estate and was looking at the E-Prance Mini 0803 with the GPS bracket. My question is has anybody used this device on a car fitted with the heated windscreen, I've heard the screen heater elements can sometimes block the GPS signal. My in built Sat Nav (Amundsen) obviously picks up it's GPS signal from the shark fin aerial on the roof.

Can anybody help with this question.

Thanks

I'm looking at a dash cam for my 2013 MK3 Skoda Octavia Estate and was looking at the E-Prance Mini 0803 with the GPS bracket. My question is has anybody used this device on a car fitted with the heated windscreen, I've heard the screen heater elements can sometimes block the GPS signal. My in built Sat Nav (Amundsen) obviously picks up it's GPS signal from the shark fin aerial on the roof.

Thanks

Not using that particular camera but my Blackvue has no issues with my heated screen, neither does my TomTom.

Thanks

I don't think I noticed whether the GPS was working or not on mine - I was too concerned by the fact that every time the camera turned on I lost DAB reception, so sent it back for a refund.

With my Blackvue I've had no problems with the heated screen and GPS reception. If you put the camera near or on the black bobbles there are no heater elements behind this and tags for tolls usually recommend you stick them there.

Just watch to make sure it's not too high and the windscreen wipers clear the screen in front of the lens though as someone pointed out to me as otherwise you won't see much in the rain.

Edited by JamesVRSmk3

Did you manage to sort anything with the cable to the rear camera? I've got mine all ready to fit this weekend and still not sure how to get the cable to the rear window, and bridge the gap when the hatch is open, nicely.

If you put the camera near or on the black bobbles there are no heater elements behind this and tags for tolls usually recommend you stick them there.

The elements are behind the blacked out area, they even cover the Rain/Light/Lane assist sensors.

No I've left it as it is for now:

f2ef6679c4f163196acf8bca3d90f6e4.jpg

fbf16d480ee5df55f0acbfbdf04478b8.jpg

Not been brave enough to stand in the cold while trying to work the cable through the duct to get it to the high level brake light. It doesn't look like too harder job though I'm just a wimp. Also it's stopped bugging me and I'd nearly forgotten about it until you just reminded me.... :lol:

I bought a Transcend DrivePro 200 after reading very favourable Auto Express and Which magazine tests - normally I'd choose whatever those two DON'T recommend. £96 including delivery and 16Gb card. Hard wired via a piggyback fuse to a twin socket behind the driver cubbybox, where I pick up the feed for the satnav - photo also shown. All cables tucked into roofrail and A pillar trim.

Works perfectly, and the camera doesn't intrude into my line of vision.

camera3_zpsa0a6dd5f.jpg

camera1_zpsd2649fd5.jpg

tomtom1_zpsb47d042a.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Not been brave enough to stand in the cold while trying to work the cable through the duct to get it to the high level brake light. It doesn't look like too harder job though I'm just a wimp. Also it's stopped bugging me and I'd nearly forgotten about it until you just reminded me.... :lol:

Just a thought on this one.....rather than taking the hatch lining apart and poking a wire coathanger through, have you considered making up a small metal bracket that can somehow fit/wedge under the tailgate rubber seal to hold it in place?  It shouldn't be too hard to do this (I hope) as I'm thinking of doing likewise on my combi.

Might not be possible but I might give it a try anyway.

Either that or centre headrest / noddy dog mount on the parcel shelf (not possible on combi unfortunately)

loadswine is that stuck/glued? The VRS appears to have a different rear view mirror mount to the Elegance

Here is my Mobius using a suction mount. Just about fits between the mirror and sun visor.

tattachicon.gifMobius-1.jpgattachicon.gifMobius-2.jpg

Ah same camera and bracket as mine.  

The sodding bracket snapped today - the little pins on the lever that locate in the vacuum plunger must be very weak as it just fell off the screen while I was driving.  I thought the seal had leaked air in (as it's been there a couple of weeks now) but when I went to put it back on, the whole mount was in pieces in the passenger footwell.  I really must wire it in, so at least it would just dangle if this happens again. 

Ho hum!

Edited by Smeghead

• 1 month later...

How are you finding the Blackvue? Any problems with DAB reception?

No problems whatsoever with the DAB. One problem I have noticed is there is no sound on my driving recordings anymore despite it being turned on in the settings. I only seem to have sound on the parked recordings. Not sure if it's always been like it or something has broke. Need to give Blackvue a call this week.

Edited by JamesVRSmk3
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the tips and info in the thread... fitted my cam today. Would've done it in no time at all but spent ages faffing with getting the glove box back on!! (that little bar thing you have to hook back on was a nightmare!)

All done though and grounded as per mrk4gtiturbo's (post #30) though... :D

Thanks for the tips and info in the thread... fitted my cam today. Would've done it in no time at all but spent ages faffing with getting the glove box back on!! (that little bar thing you have to hook back on was a nightmare!)

Still haven't managed to refit that little bar on mine!

Still haven't managed to refit that little bar on mine!

It's a pig to do, but easier if you make sure the damper rod is fully extended when you insert the glovebox back in its hole.  If the damper aligns too high it will retract again.  Too low and you have no chance of getting it back on.  It is possible to extend the rod with the glovebox in-situ with a thin bladed screwdriver but it is very fiddly.

Edited by Smeghead

Finished installing yesterday morning - Blackvue 650GW (front and rear camera).

Here is the front:

d932d7faf7c0673455a4ef6ae9805a33.jpg

Hi James, Can I ask why you positioned so low and not stuck the pad on the dotted part ? I would like to position my Mini 0805 higher to make it more hidden (anything to avoid some scrote deciding its worth breaking into the car for).

The lane camera cover rules out hiding it in front of the mirror, so I hoped I could mount from the cover to one side (self adhesive fixing pad for the Mini series like your Blackvue), but that might be a no go, I am still waiting on the hardwire bits before I decide on how best to mount it discretely ! 

Also have some double sided pads in black ordered in case I need to mount it to the window, as the standard one looks to be light grey, so more visible.

Can you tuck the wire into the lane assist camera cover easily enough ?

Edited by Mr Grump

Hi James, Can I ask why you positioned so low and not stuck the pad on the dotted part ? I would like to position my Mini 0805 higher to make it more hidden (

Much higher it's it'll be looking through the area that isn't wiped by the windscreen wipers. You can go a little highe, see my photos earlier in this thread.

I want to replace my aging dash cam, but i am not entirely sure which one to choose. I really would like one that has separate cameras with a central dv recorder. I have seen one on ebay but dont know what quality the video is.

Has anyone got experience of such cameras ?

Much higher it's it'll be looking through the area that isn't wiped by the windscreen wipers. You can go a little highe, see my photos earlier in this thread.

Hmmm ... I may need to move it to drivers side to take advantage of more wiper coverage then .... and  the mini 0805 sits to the right side of the mount - opposite to how yours and James's Blackvue sits.

Edited by Mr Grump

• 1 month later...

Hi Mr G

Also just got an 0805 so I'd be very interested to know how you completed the installation. Which side of the mirror did you mount it and where have you run the wiring to hide it sufficiently. Where did you get the power from and are there any issues with the performance?

Hi Shenendor, mount was central on the cam cover widthways, due to the mount, that puts the cam just to the right side as you are sat in car.

Placed so its hidden behind the mirror from drivers perspective (on RHD). Importantly for me, its also very discreet :)

I thought I had posted pics ... they are this thread http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/293058-dash-cams/page-3#entry4158925

I used a fuse holder piggyback from the rear wiper fuse, run to a voltage dropper with USB female plug (cam is 5v). I got 2M of USB to Micro USB cable and tucked behind headlining and pillar trim using Bojo's. (you could probably just make the run with 1.8M)

No issues with performance really, there are better but its decent for the money and works well in all sorts of light conditions, from dark and no streetlights to bright sunshine.

I run mine on the ultra widescreen mode 2560 x 1080 and takes about 4.5 hours to fill a 32gb card.

Edited by Mr Grump

Thanks for info Mr G. Can I pick your brains again, or anyone else's for that matter, for a little more knowledge please. What software is best for viewing the footage? I've noted Registrator Viewer is apparently a free download but are there better ones that are free or at moderate costs?! I'm hoping to have done the installation by this weekend.

Edited by shenendor

The inbuilt windows media player does it OK if you download and install the codecs, Search for the latest Klite codec pack.

Or there are plenty of free standalone players like quicktime alternative.

• Like 1