Vibration at 80mph?

Anybody any ideas what could be the cause of a vibration through the steering wheel at 80mph.

I know it's definitely not the brakes, tyres or wheels, so getting a little stuck now? It's very annoying.

On the plus side, did a round trip from Exeter to London. 320 miles in all and managed 42mpg. Still got 190 miles showing as the remaining range!

Very impressive for a 2.0 petrol. The tsi really is a great engine.

I'd go elsewhere and have the wheel balance checked again. It's the most likely source of vibration. Definitely also check the tyre pressures as above.

• Like 1

I have the same problem however I know why.

I went to Demon tweeks and had some new alloys fitted that I ordered through them, however the supplier sent the wrong fitting kit so the wheels are fitted but with the wrong kit and thats why mine vibrates at the minute..

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

i had this before with newly balanced wheels after fitting new tyres, got them checked by the supplier they said they were ok,

so went to another place to get the balance checked it was slightly out, new weights added, no more vibration :)

Silly question but are the new tyres decent?

A mate had this problem and it turned out the crappy budget tyres he had bought were formed like a banana!!

Have you tried swapping front back to see if the vibration/noise follows? Also worth checking to see if the hubs and spigots are clean so you get a good fit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hoping this has been discovered either on a private road, or on a track day, as the last time I checked the speed limit on motorway and dual carriageway was 70, and other main roads it was 60

Sent from my Hudl HT7S3 using Tapatalk

Hoping this has been discovered either on a private road, or on a track day, as the last time I checked the speed limit on motorway and dual carriageway was 70, and other main roads it was 60

Sent from my Hudl HT7S3 using Tapatalk

Ok grandad.

I've fitted Conti sport contact 5's all round. Wheel alignment done at Wheels in Motion recently and the car is 18 months old and only covered 10k so bush wear is out I would have said.

Going to make it the dealers problem as that's what warranties are for.

Nobafett,

So you only had two new tyres ? Not all new tyres as you may have unintentionally implied. Check carefully for any tyre sidewall damage on the inside and outside especially on the older tyres. And I repeat go to a different place to check the wheel balance. I'm not the only one to have found things can go wrong in the hands of an inexperienced fitter.

• 2 months later...

Some tyre depots can balance your wheels individually on the car, this will eradicate any thing out of balance including hubs etc. ( it's the old fashion way of doing things)