Group visit to the Vulcan Bomber at Wellesbourne - 26th July 2014

Dr Zoidberg

EDIT FOR CLARITY - this was in 2014.

I know we have a number of aviation fans here. Would anyone be interested in a group visit to see XM655 at Wellesbourne Mountfield, not far from Stratford Upon Avon? You can get a cockpit tour of one of the few remaining Vulcan bombers that still powers up and does ground runs and get a photo of the cars parked up in front of it if we ask nicely.

We are booked in for the 26th July and will be meeting there between 9:30 and 10am.

Should be there for about three hours and will then be heading for a pub lunch.

We are getting close to capacity but there may be room for a couple more.

http://www.xm655.com/

Looks like we would need a minimum of 12 people with a £10 donation each - that would get you a two to three hour visit  that would include a systems demonstration of electrical and hydraulic systems (bomb doors, powered flying controls, landing lights, airbrakes), cockpit tours in groups of four, exterior aircraft tour, ground equipment and a photo op with the cars.

I have put it on the facebook briskoda see if anything comes up. Going to put it on the skoda owners club aswell for more interest and the classics too :)

Could also be interested, again depends on dates. My dad is really into the Vulcan and he would love the visit, only issue is he is currently in ICU following major surgery. He should be out and able to get around in 7-8 weeks. it would really make his day if he could get up close to a Vulcan, he has Vulcan memorabilia all over his house and uses a vulcan mug for tea/coffee.

Used to have a wander around the one at Blackpool before it went to scrap :( was in a sorry state but could have been restored although most of the cockpit equipment had been pilfered by 'souvenir' hunters. You could go absolutely anywhere. Into the very bowels of the craft. My grandad flew in them as a rear gunner. May come to this purely as a remwmberance thingymajig to him. He would have loved to see a fully working one im sure. Will have a look at the work diary in the morning.

The blackpool bomber had the ID XLM391 I think.

Edited by Th3Grinch

Count me in please. Not a plane spotter by nature but remember seeing one of these at an airshow when I was a kid. Guess it was the stock thing they did- low level fly past down the runway then climb at the end at full throttle with afterburners and the whole place shook...brilliant.

• Like 1

Rear gunner? In a Vulcan?

Sorry was posting at speed. He flew in the vulcans temporarily also was a rear gunner but that was in a different plane all together. (May be wrong but i have the idea it was a lancaster) Will hunt his logs/diaries out in next few days. He has all the id's written down and any names of crew he worked with. Also has a picture of him and his buddy infront of the flying fortress. Definitely going to hunt his diaries out. Possibly would interest people on here. Nobody in the family gives a monkeys it seems. Went through it all with friends who are serving not long ago. Its all going to a museum when im gone if my lad doesnt want it.

That kind of history needs looking after. Can still remember people standing infront of the vulcan at blackpool trying to stop them from scrapping it. :\

• Like 2