Rusty Sills: Help me dispel the bull...

KB,

Had my Octy 2 2007 1.9 PD 105 estate just over a week now and I'm amazed at the amount of rust. I've noted rust in the following similar areas :

Front sills, stone chips on rear door skin and rear boot lid have rusted, along rear hatch join above rear number plate and like you I have the rusting lines on the rear arches from the rear door rubbers. TBH impressed by the car mechanics and economy but not the bodywork/rust proofing!

Has anybody had any joy from Skoda in getting these sorted under warranty....watching this thread with interest.

KB,

Had my Octy 2 2007 1.9 PD 105 estate just over a week now and I'm amazed at the amount of rust. I've noted rust in the following similar areas :

Front sills, stone chips on rear door skin and rear boot lid have rusted, along rear hatch join above rear number plate and like you I have the rusting lines on the rear arches from the rear door rubbers. TBH impressed by the car mechanics and economy but not the bodywork/rust proofing!

Has anybody had any joy from Skoda in getting these sorted under warranty....watching this thread with interest.

I too have noticed quite a bit on mine.

Sills above the stone chip protection being the worst - and on both sides too! I will get some pictures.

What gets me is that our '03 Fabia has no sill protector and no rust.

Later Octavias had sill protector fitted up to the door shuts (near enough).

I had a proper look at a couple of older Mk1 Octavias and they were designed with a flare at the sill so the sides of the car were protected from flying stones far better than the Mk2.

Hard to find a pic that isn't a Halfords special but..

81be0e8s-960.jpg

I've solved the problem by trading in. It goes tomorrow.

Skoda said: No!

No surprise there. Will be calling the dealer & HQ tomorrow to get more details, but I don't expect any change in their mind.

The only reason I've been given so far is that the rust has to come from inside and even then it's only three year warranty.

Which I don't believe as they would have surely not even entertained any claim on a 7 year old car if that was the case.

I seem to have gone off the dealer now... I don't line being lied to, kept in the dark and generally deceived.

...The only reason I've been given so far is that the rust has to come from inside and even then it's only three year warranty...

My guess is they will tell you it was caused by a component covered by the standard warranty, such as the door seals. Make the dealer, state the cause of problem in writing - not just how they made the decision to reject your claim.

I thought the paint warranty was 2-3 years but the corrosion warranty was 10.

I looked it up and it's 3 for paint & 12 for corrosion.

I'll be speaking with them later and getting more information. Hopefully.

Try to get a second opinion from a different body shop. See what they say

I've had two opinions already.

Door seals cited as part of the issue but no mention from either about stone chips!

Skoda said: No!

No surprise there. Will be calling the dealer & HQ tomorrow to get more details, but I don't expect any change in their mind.

The only reason I've been given so far is that the rust has to come from inside and even then it's only three year warranty.

Which I don't believe as they would have surely not even entertained any claim on a 7 year old car if that was the case.

I seem to have gone off the dealer now... I don't line being lied to, kept in the dark and generally deceived.

The thing is, looking at mine it is either lack of paint or stonechip protection being the cause of the rust on the outer sills. My Mrs' Golf of the same age has no rust whatsoever.

Edited by amk2vr6

I using that train of thought as part of my argument as well.

The wife's 2003 Fabia has no sill protection and no mud flaps but no stone chips or rust either!

Later models had stone chip protection fitted higher up.

It's almost as though Skoda went too cheap on the Mk 2 Octavia...

Heard back: but now still waiting for more.

Dealer is standing by the 'it's been repaired before' stance but Skoda HQ have had to get back to the dealer as there seems to be something contradictory between what the dealer (eventually) told me and what's in the report.

More to follow I expect.

Dealer is standing by the 'it's been repaired before' stance but Skoda HQ have had to get back to the dealer as there seems to be something contradictory between what the dealer (eventually) told me and what's in the report.

More to follow I expect.

What proof have they got to say it been repaired?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I don't know yet, but based upon my initial conversation with then it hinges upon the following:

Paint depth (dispelled conclusively by Skoda authorised repairer);

The rubber bungs / sill protector mentioned earlier in this thread (dispelled by this thread);

Anything else, I don't know. I'm trying to get the report off them.

When I had mine in for rust. They checked paint depth on entire car and said then it had been resprayed as the entire o/s was 100 microns thicker than n/s

That's useful to know.

The authorised repairer got consistent depth readings across the car whereas the dealer had very inconsistent readings to the point where it didn't match what he was saying or, to me, prove anything other than he couldn't use the paint depth gauge properly.

Paint should be sub 150 iirc. Maybe get skoda to ring the authorised repairer or vice versa. Did they do a technical report for skoda or dismiss it themselves?

This is a prime example of what happens if you don't get on top of the paint removal between the door seals and inner doors in time.

My Octavia has started to wear away the paint in very small places, almost identical to this Scout, no rust as yet though. Reminds me to get the touch-up pen on it this weekend...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Skoda-Octavia-Scout-1-9-pd-4x4-/231246927687?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item35d7641747#ht_143wt_1275

I believe there is a report from the dealer to Skoda HQ. hopefully I can get a copy of it today.

This sounds good, would like to see what it entails.

I'm going out to get some pics now...

Right, Pics as promised (eventually). Not brilliant pics but you get the idea.

Late 2007 - 57 Plate. 146k miles.

Nearside -

IMG_20140614_121820_zps8ade1ab3.jpg

IMG_20140614_121827_zpsa3588ca3.jpg

IMG_20140614_121836_zpsbc177caa.jpg

Offside -

IMG_20140614_121907_zpsac7e36ba.jpg

IMG_20140614_121919_zps6a832d01.jpg

IMG_20140614_121935_zps02814453.jpg

IMG_20140614_121940_zpscf5dd45f.jpg

As you can see all the rust is at the front of the sill, under the sills have a little on the lip too. Nothing at the back outer, and nothing anywhere else on the body.

Haven't been able to get the report yet.

Have pretty much given up as it seems I'm going to have to find £150+ for their approved 'independent' inspection to see if the dealer is right.

Even if it proves I'm right, the dealer may still refuse the repair and a refund if the inspection fee.

Seems I'm in a lose-lose situation unless I can prove they are wrong but I'm not allowed to use a repairer if my choice.

We all know it is poor paint quality/thickness and lack of protection that has resulted in this widespread problem, but Skoda won't do anything about it unless I can prove the rust originates from inside...

Ok, So how about getting a well documented case using pictures and details from members on here?

Surely it would help us all? As soon as they have agreed and paid out on one, we can all use as ammo to get ours sorted!

My Mrs' 08 Golf (admittedly 50k miles less and 6 months newer) has no rust. And a decent thick covering of stonechip that finishes higher up too!

Edit/ And the thing is here they word it well to cover themselves using the term corrosion, which as we know is from the inside out. The problem isn't corrosion, it is substandard quality control and below par paint thickness/stonechip covering.

Edited by amk2vr6

Surely it would help us all? As soon as they have agreed and paid out on one, we can all use as ammo to get ours sorted!

That's the problem: Skoda must know there was an issue but if they fix one they'll have to fix them all.

And at £6-700 a car, I can't see that happening when it's not covered by the warranty terminology of 'corrosion' and 'from inside'.

My next move will be to get the report, dispel the lies (previous repair) and see where we go from there.

However I cannot afford to spend £150+ on an independent inspection which, in all liklihood (unless the examine inside the sills) will just confirm that it was stone chips (there was one in October with no rust then massive rust by December) that caused the issues.

Without a legal team pushing the poor quality / substandard from factory line, I don't see how an individual can win this case!

• Like 1