Pet hates - Car related

Ok, here's my list:

1. A vehicle pulls out of a side turning on my side of the road about 100 yards in front of me.  I ease off the throttle, to give them a chance to build up speed BUT two more cars follow them out of the side turning, without checking that the road is clear.
  2. Drivers in supermarket car parks that think it is cool to not park in an actual parking space but instead on the cross hatched areas at the end of the parking rows
  3. Drivers that only seem to have a single speed, often around 40 mph - if they are behind me, they get really annoyed when I reach a 30 mph limit and slow down, they then drive about 6 inches from my bumper through the 30mph zone, then I leave them far, far behind as I accelerate up to the NSL.  Next 30 mph limit, there they are again, looming large in my rear view mirror
  4. Drivers that just don't bother indicating, such as when turning left into the side road I'm waiting to turn left out of
  5. Drivers that try to bully and intimidate when passing a line of parked vehicles on their side of the road - them seem to think that if they drive fast and completely in the oncoming lane, all the traffic coming the other way will magically disappear
  6. Vehicles on roundabouts that start in the left lane then cut across the right lane to go straight across, not checking their mirrors to see if a car is in the right hand lane to go right at the roundabout
  7. Cars on the A1 that tear up behind me when I'm doing about 60mph in the inside lane then swing out at the last moment or brake suddenly because the driver is incapable of reading the road
  8. Lorry drivers on the A14 that ignore the section where they are prohibited from overtaking between certain times

Enough already, my blood pressure is starting to rise just writing this!

Being as I have had the misfortune of several car park dings on previous cars over the years, I do appreciate using the parent spaces were available when shopping.

It would seem that some people can't even park a tiny car very well :doh:

gallery_87477_1315_74021.jpg

Mind you, that's a mild example, there is room. I have had one park with their drivers side wheels on the closest white line before !

I parked in a m/way services once late at night to have my break well out the way ,and an old boy parked that close to me I couldn't open my drivers door ,illogical !!

On the car manufacturer pet peeves front (rather than drivers/owners):

1. Blanking inserts which only highlight where a higher spec extra is absent on a bog spec car e.g. a rear bumper made with cutouts for two exhausts, but only one is used and the other has a really conspicuous blanking piece.  

Same goes for fog light shaped plastic blanking in the bumper recesses - blank ones are okay as at least they don't shout "look at what this car is missing!".  I get it that in many cases having blanking pieces and fewer bumper designs saves money, but please don't make it too obvious.

I've seen cars (I forget which) which manage the worst of both worlds: they have a different bumper for the non-foglight-equipped spec, but it has foglight shaped nubbins moulded into the main part of the bumper!!

An excess of blanking buttons on the dashboard/stereo is just as bad.

2. Loads of fake/non-functional vents and other bits of black plastic.  Slatted or honeycombed panels on the bumper to give a 'sporty' look but which are obviously solid and allow no airflow seem popular in modern cars but I feel it looks tacky.  Non-functional vents behind wheel-arches, on wings and bonnets are just as naff.
The foglight shaped inserts I mentioned above also fall into this category.

3. Electronic handbrakes.

4. Proper handbrakes on which the lever goes so far down as to pinch your finger when releasing it (current Vauxhall Astra, I'm looking at you).

5. A specific model: that car which has a numberplate recess in both the rear bumper AND the tailgate but only one is used (unfortunately I forget which car it is, though I'm sure someone will say).  Looks like they redesigned one of the panels but just didn't care about the other.

More may follow..

Automatic anything (gearboxes excused) that don't have a manual alternative.

Specifically BMWs lack of manual

intermittent wipe on a car with auto wipers. The auto is bloody awful.

I was with you on the electronic handbrake until I drove with one on an odl Jag and it worked pretty well. Admittedly it's an unnecessary complication.

Manufacturers penny pinching resulting in large parts needing replaced for a 10p component. I'm looking at you VAG with your cheap mild steel magnets in the hub which rot requiring a whole new hub.

Edited by Aspman

I saw number 5 the other week.

Im sure it was on a postman pay style Vauxhall.

I cant remember the model name. (Can you tell?)

The old Vauxhall Agila/Suzuki Wagon R has this. I've seen it on a few others as well. It does seem a bit daft.

• Like 2

Being as I have had the misfortune of several car park dings on previous cars over the years, I do appreciate using the parent spaces were available when shopping.

It would seem that some people can't even park a tiny car very well :doh:

gallery_87477_1315_74021.jpg

Mind you, that's a mild example, there is room. I have had one park with their drivers side wheels on the closest white line before !

I found his Swedish brother.

IMG_20140428_131101_zps8cc8db28.jpg

Edited by DaKKs_152
  • Like 2

The old Vauxhall Agila/Suzuki Wagon R has this. I've seen it on a few others as well. It does seem a bit daft.

Ah, yes that's the one I'm thinking of.  It doesn't particularly annoy me, it's just a turd of a design.

• Like 1

great thread!

My pet hates:

excess of music

tailgater

parking denters and bad parkers

daft badging 

too many stickers, especially those mounted vertically on a front or rear window (why the f?)

bad modifications - either on a cheapo car or a previously expensive one

gangsta tints - it's not LA, or Riyahd, it's Peckham, buddy

the overtake-and-slow-down manoevre

phone user in expensive car - just tick the box, or learn how to pair the bloody device

dude wants to race

drunk cyclist (although mostly these are quite funny)

One other thing (not a pet hate): buses have right of way over here, so you take your life in your hands if you want to pass as they finish collecting passengers. Simple though.

• Like 2

WOMEN who indicate in car parks....

WTF for??? I have eyes, I can see where you are heading

otherwise they wouldn't have given me a licence.

In a car PARK it's a fairly safe bet that you are either parking or leaving.  

(after the obligatory 10 shunts back and forth until your car is straight, 6 of which you

didn't change angle at all so were even more entirely pointless than the 4 which

through some miracle achieved some minor change of course that a competent driver

wouldn't have needed anyway

An indicator doesn't help me or anyone else with any sense as we'd give you all

the space you need (3 times as much as someone who can actually control a motor vehicle)

as you balls about making a complete pantomime performing the most basic of manoeuvres.

The stupid vtec civic that wouldnt get out of the second lane on a dual carriageway at 11pm last night, when i was trying to get home on my motorbike.

The dual carriageway had absolutely no other cars on it at all, yet he thought if he thrashed his little honda out of the roundabout he wouldnt be in my way.

To you sir, move the feck over, you car sounds terrible and itd be nice if you reached the redline multiple times in the left lane, so i could continue making progress, and get home.

Rant over.

Thankyou.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

People who cannot park in bays - How hard is it to get the damn thing in between the lines?!

People who when parking on busy terraced streets who don't bother to pull up the few yards to the car in front/ behind and just park right in front of their house - Other people need to park as well. but thanks to you, we can't! (sorry, my road seems to have a competition of who can be the most selfish... and snobbish)

Badge snobbery - "Oh... you drive a Vauxhall, how quaint. I drive a Mercedes"      "Oh good for you, would you like a badge?"

People who cant seem to park any close to the kerb - Do you really have to park a whole 10 inches or something away from it?

People who bay park right next to you so you can't get in or out of the car - Hmm, People who used to do this, I would make sure to be ever so slightly negligent when opening my door. (at least when I was in my old car)

Passengers who begin to fiddle with your heating, climate control, choice of music, etc. when giving them a lift  - I'm giving up my time to give you a lift, leave it alone!

Passenger's who begin to open the car door even before you've completely stopped!!!!!!!!!!

People hogging the centre / fast lane!

People who don't bother to use dipped beam!

People who crawl around like  tortoises and create a train of cars behind them....

Oh I could go on forever...

Edited by andy2286

Middle lane hoggers!]

As you should be able to notice by now this motorway has 3 lanes it is certainly not a dual carriageway.

Just like Ludacris says - Move bi*ch get out the way.

The only Motorway in the UK which is not a dual carriageway has 7 lanes with a tidal flow system on the centre lane.

I suspect that you are thinking that two lanes is what makes a dual carriageway but that is incorrect.  A 'dual carriageway' is 'a road which comprises a centre reservation' whilst an 'all purpose dual carriageway' is 'a dual carriageway which is not a motorway' (from the definitions section of the TSRGD 2002).  You can have a dual carriageway with any number of lanes in either direction and the same can apply to a single carriageway.

Q. What is the difference between a London bus driver and a Birmingham bus driver?

A.  A London bus driver indicates and pulls out, a Birmingham bus driver pulls out then indicates in case you didn't notice (at least the ones on the 60 / 62 group of routes down through Tyseley used to).

In fact the standard of bus driving varies enormously from one fleet to another.  In this general area we have one fleet where the drivers are uniformly good, one where they are a bit variable and another where they are uniformly lethal.  I think it all comes down to company culture.  It seems to be the smaller companies which have the higher driving standards and the largest companies which have the lowest.

I will generally try to help bus drivers, but there are a couple of places where I will never let them out.  It's not down to them, it's down to the fact that the council has seen fit to place traffic islands in the middle of the road at a busy bus stop to ensure that it is impossible to legally pass a stopped bus.  It's nothing personal, but if it means you will be holding me up for a significant period of time I'm not going to let you out.  Pretty much anywhere else, I will.

The only Motorway in the UK which is not a dual carriageway has 7 lanes with a tidal flow system on the centre lane.

I suspect that you are thinking that two lanes is what makes a dual carriageway but that is incorrect. A 'dual carriageway' is 'a road which comprises a centre reservation' whilst an 'all purpose dual carriageway' is 'a dual carriageway which is not a motorway' (from the definitions section of the TSRGD 2002). You can have a dual carriageway with any number of lanes in either direction and the same can apply to a single carriageway.

Interesting.

But his point remains. Middle lane hogging is annoying, whatever you call the road.

Vauxhall Corsa "Limited edition". Firstly there are loads of the nasty little things and most seem to be driven by spotty kids in hoodies who seem to think they are in the VXR variant judging by their driving style.

get yourself on splitter scuffers mate.

more ranting about LE corsas on there than anywhere else. youll enjoy it ;) haha.

seriously though, why do people buy them? iv been in a corsa recently and it was horrible. cheap, bushes were gone at 30k miles so it was knocking over every bump, the seats were far too hard, everything feels horrible, the glove box lid had gone wonkey already (10 plate) and that LCD display that they use in the middle of the dash has been the same since about 1950.

okay. rant over :)

• Like 2

Thanks, I'm glad I'm not the only one. Is that the Facebook page or is there a website?

its a facebook page mate. its largely chavs and theres about 90,000 members now. its a laugh sometimes.

p.s. never post a picture of anything thinking you wont get abuse, because you will, unless youve got big boobs, then everybody will just tell you to get those out, and youd be snowed under with friend requests off spotty teenagers.

but yeah, have a look, it can be laugh lol

• Like 1

When I'm using cruise control someone will overtake me and slow right down. Then when I go into the middle lane to overtake them, they put their bloody foot down again and match my speed, leaving me hanging in the middle lane >: (

• Like 1