Cats!

Ok, after a bit of advice please. I live on a housing estate and the neighbours cats are driving me bonkers.

last weekend I found a dead fledgling blackbird on our back lawn with its head bitten off- killed by a moggy for no apparent reason as no attempt had been made to eat it.

last year we had 2 patches appear in our front lawn where cats had crapped and killed the grass. After a couple of failed attemts to get the bald patches to reseed I dug some of the soil out a couple of weeks ago and replaced it with compost and some miracle grow patch magic. The seed was just starting to sprout this weekend and I got out today to find a cat has had a dump right smack bang in the middle of one of the patches. Its one of the smelly whippy ones too so guess that'll kill the fresh grass stone dead. To say I wasn't amused was an understatement.

has anyone got any ideas on how I can humanely deter these mobile crapping and killing machines from coming on my garden? I've tried the sonic things which don't seem to work, have plastic spikes on tne fencewhich they get over easily now, don't want one myself and don't have enough time to look after a dog.

I had the same problem on my drive too, Ade.

It all depends - some work and some don't - bit like every one of us are different.

Internet say final soln: WATER PISTOL

Really!

I tried pee-off? A plant that cat hate smell off 

Didn't work :-(

Shiny CDs etc - works for a bit then thy sussed it out

Expensive gel that repel cats/dogs/foxes - but no good in rain 

But cheapest citron/lemon washing up liquid works 90% of the time.

I just dribble all around the drive - last a few days in dry weather, if wet cheap snuff to dribble again.

About £1 / litre

Good luck in finding the one that works for u!

PS: threaten the neighbour? Lol

I had the same problem on my drive too, Ade.

It all depends - some work and some don't - bit like every one of us are different.

Internet say final soln: WATER PISTOL

Really

Good luck in finding the one that works for u!

PS: threaten the neighbour? Lol

ha, ha. They've all got f'in cats mate so it would be like parents with kids all saying it's not theirs!

I've got a supersoaker but the little bu88ers creep in crap then creep off again when I'm not looking.

Seems like it could be a case of fighting a loosing battle unless anyone else has found an answer that's legal......

ha, ha. They've all got f'in cats mate so it would be like parents with kids all saying it's not theirs!

I've got a supersoaker but the little bu88ers creep in crap then creep off again when I'm not looking.

Seems like it could be a case of fighting a loosing battle unless anyone else has found an answer that's legal......

Nylofor 3D ;)

• Like 1

LOL the crims round here would think a new prison was being built!

I think that's what our neighbours thought :giggle:

We got it to keep our cats in. It's kept all but one, the 'ginger ninja', out in three years to date.

Sadly, the decapitated Blackbird will be the work of a cat.  A super soaker water pistol will deter cats from your garden while at the same time provide you with a degree of entertainment.  

However, cats like to bury their cr@p in soft earth.  Smelly whippy cr@p on grass will almost certainly be the work of foxes.  The beggars hide presents in my lawn, which I only discover when using my lawn mower.  And when the **** hits the fan.....

Agree with Robjon those droppings are very unlikely to be from a cat, but more likely a fox or possibly a badger. Fox poo can be very strongly smelling!!

Lion poo is supposed to be a good deterrent for lots of animals.

Sadly, the decapitated Blackbird will be the work of a cat.  A super soaker water pistol will deter cats from your garden while at the same time provide you with a degree of entertainment.  

However, cats like to bury their cr@p in soft earth.  Smelly whippy cr@p on grass will almost certainly be the work of foxes.  The beggars hide presents in my lawn, which I only discover when using my lawn mower.  And when the **** hits the fan.....

never thought of foxes. There was 1 in the road not 100yds from my house the other week so you could well be correct. What p*ssed me off was what ever it is had the whole garden to crap in but chose a patch the size of the palm on your hand instread. Grrrrrr

Agree with Robjon those droppings are very unlikely to be from a cat, but more likely a fox or possibly a badger. Fox poo can be very strongly smelling!!

Lion poo is supposed to be a good deterrent for lots of animals.

Ta, its in a sainsburys bag in my bin at the mo. I could post it to you for confirmation if you like.. LOL

Cats kill an unbelievable amount of 'garden' birds every year, more than any other predator if I remember rightly. Trouble is, you can't blame them for it, it is what a cat does. Shame really, a crow will peck out a lambs eyes to eat, some folk will say 'well a crow has to eat too! It is their nature!' fair enough, doesn't stop me shooting them.

Cats behead and eat birds and chicks, once upon a time i suppose folk would of said 'a cat has to eat too!' ... but they don't have to as their food is provided, but the nature is still there. Shame I can't shoot them too.

There are all sorts of solutions springing to mind but I am sure a lot of people will start complaining ... So, a bit of a passive one, deterrent, may be an old wives tale, but I was told soaking tea bags in Jeyes fluid acts as a good repellant.

JRJG

• Like 1

Here is one possible solution

You could also try ultra-sonics, although I am not sure if foxes and cats would be deterred by the same frequency.

I also noticed one of my local gardening shops selling "Lion Dung" as a cat/dog repellent.

• Like 2

It could be many things killing the blackbird ! , its a myth cats kill loads of songbirds it's been proven , as for keeping them out of your garden its simple, this works but needs re treatment after rain

1 your first pee of the morning , keep it in a watering can or similar keep it for at least 10 days to fester

2 add water at about 20/1 mixture

3 water all solid surfaces with mixture this includes gravel ,walls and footpaths

This will deter cats from entering your garden , oh I'm presuming your male ? It has to be male urine

• Like 2

You could also try ultra-sonics, although I am not sure if foxes and cats would be deterred by the same frequency.

I also noticed one of my local gardening shops selling "Lion Dung" as a cat/dog repellent.

Didn't work on our cat, he used to sleep beside the neighbours deterrent thingy. Then he'd steal their shoes.

+1 for Water pistol. They hate it and it does them no harm.

Or get a dog or cat of your own.

Edited by Aspman

Garden hose + sprinkler and inside tap. Before I had a dog ,we used to get plagued with cats digging up the back . After a couple of soakings, no more. We have the front slabbed for the car and the rest in gravwel with pots. Any other way ( e.g. flower beds) we'd end up with dug up plants. I've had to fence off the little strip under the window or they'll be in. Strangely enough my sister and all her beighbours have cats AND NO MESS .Secret - every house puts out a littter tray .

There needs to be a change in the law on cat ownership.  If I were to let a dog wander around the neighbourhood cr@pping in gardens I would be in trouble, why are cat owners allowed to let cats wander  around the place?

Cat owners should be made to walk them on a lead and pick up the mess like (most) dog owners do.

Whenever I see a cat in the garden I chuck something heavy at it, or if I get close enough a kick up the jacksie.

• Like 2

The ones I soaked in the back garden were about as pleased as the one I baptised from an upstairs bedroom window. So I GUESS THEY WERE WILD :hi:

There needs to be a change in the law on cat ownership.  If I were to let a dog wander around the neighbourhood cr@pping in gardens I would be in trouble, why are cat owners allowed to let cats wander  around the place?

Indeed. I have had to fortify my garden against them and the mess they make. I grow vegetables and have a small child, so their filth represents a health hazard. If they were classed as the nuisance vermin they are, I could get rid of the problem without putting netting out all over any patch of soil I use to grow things. I have even caught one trying to crap on the netting anyway, in a place it was sagging.

I was considering collecting up all their deposits and just chucking them all over the neighbours lawns.

Whenever I see a cat in the garden I chuck something heavy at it, or if I get close enough a kick up the jacksie.

THat's been my approach over many years and does seem to eventually work - as soon as I touch the door handle now they leg it!

The other thing to do is to cover any bare garden borders with prickly plants or with a ground covering that they don't like to dig in.  I've had some success with slate chippings of a large size.

If you know who's cat is doing it, and can stomach it, collect it all up and post it to them!

Edited by Chorlton