Manual or dsg

Hi guys

I'm sure it's a topic that has been done to death in the past, but I'm thinking of swapping from mymk 2 Octavia to a FL Superb. I currently have a manual and just wondered what others thought of the manual vs dsg in the Superb? To me the Superb appears to be more of a leisurely cruiser and as such dsg would suit but wondered what people thought of the manual Superb? I've driven the dsg in a courtesy Roomster last year and loved it but I've heard it isn't that great when coupled with a diesel engine?

Thanks.

Steve.

Can't comment on the manual gearbox but have had my DSG Superb for about 2 months now, mated to the 2.0TDi (170) engine and have to say that I love it. Lends itself to the car very well and is easy to drive. If you prefer quicker upshifts then you have the Sports mode but also the option to self-shift if you so wish.

Am very pleased!

• Like 1

Had a 170 CR Tdi and 3.6 V6 4x4 both with DSG - would not consider going back to manual, unless non 4x4 in a snow/cold environment.

it is my opinion, and not shared by al,l that if considering DSG it is preferable that the car has hill hold control to manage starting

on inclines.

I've had two manual Superbs and I think the manual box works really well especially on the larger diesel engines.  The ratios are well set up and shifting is never a chore as the shift itself is quite slick and slots in nicely.  One consideration though - do you do mostly urban or motorway type driving?  I have to admit if I was to spend most of my time around town/city I would consider a DSG.

Fuel economy will suffer a little with DSG and obviously you will pay more for DSG.  In Ireland the price difference is up to €3,000!

Came from a DSG in Octy VRS to manual in Greenline Superb.

Both are great in their own way. I loved the DSG but I do not miss it at all as the clutch and box in my new Superb is so silky smooth. In a perverse way I sort of enjoy the driving experience more in the manual.

As I recall the DSG also cost a little bit more on car tax and fuel.

I have the DSG in my 170CR Elegance, and its fantastic

First auto I've driven for years and it suits the superb beautifully

Pure luxury driving (especially with all the toys as well)

Obviously you need to try both, as you cant pick one on others say so

Forget what you heard about it not suiting the diesel... thats just rubbish

My Octy II F/L has a DSG box -- and it's my first ever "automatic". I wouldn't go back to manual by choice. The car 'knows' what gear it wants, and what gear it will need next. It has plenty of grunt for safe overtaking manoeuvres, and it's quicker than stirring around with your left hand. (140 CR diesel lump, by the way).

It might not be a vRS but for a 20000+ miles a year driver like me, it's ideal.

Thanks for all the replies so far.

My driving is mainly straight A-roads during the week, with weekend trips to the olds and the inlaws which require long motorway trips.

Main reason for considering the dsg is the various times I'm sat in traffic doing the longer motorway trips (usually the M25 car park) and get tired/bored of using the clutch.  I've heard that the mk3 Octavia clutch is lighter than the mk2 - is this the same for the FL Superb?

Thanks.

Steve.

My Superb is used as a taxi.  It is manual.  Ideally I would have had and auto but still too many scare stories about DSG to take the risk.  FWIW the manual is a nice light clutch and the gear change is pretty decent.

As someone said, you will get people who have a DSG extolling it's virtues (unless it has failed) and likewise with the manual.  Go drive both and see which you prefer.

Had the DSG box for a year now and I love it. I reckon it's a better box than the auto I had in a CLK which is a high recommendation, why change use your arm to change if you don't need to.:-)

I do 30,000 miles a year, the decision was easy for me. Manual.

If I chopped in my cars every three years so that they were always in the manufacturers warranty then I'd happily have a DSG.

My high mileage and the fact I tend to run my cars until they die means my eyes are firmly set towards minimising risk and future repair bills.

Try a quick search for 'Mechatronics'. Failures are thankfully rare but if you are unlucky and get caught outside of warranty it can get silly.

I very much like the DSG and if the bulk of my commute was in stop/start traffic I'd likely have one.

I actually get enjoyment out of driving a manual car, it feels more involved, very much helped by the Superb's clutch and manual gearbox which makes it possible to drive as smoothly as a DSG.

Having driven a DSG equipped Mk2 Vrs 170 to Skye and back three years ago ( about 1200 miles in total over the week) then nearly the same journey in a Superb 170 4x4 manual, both journeys with a good mix of motorway, dual carriageway and some cracking single carriageway roads, I much preferred the Manual Superb. That's why I bought one

I found the DSG clunky TBH

Edited by Bristolf2b

The Vrs had done approx 14000 mikes, was about 11 months old, so I would hope wasn't broke.

You could be right about not adapting-how long should it take?!!

I have driven four petrol cars with DSG or the Audi equivalent, ( including an Audi R8 V10 :) ) and two other diesels. I definitely found the petrols had smoother more intuitive changes. I know people think this is "rubbish", I am only speaking from personal experience.

The Vrs had done approx 14000 mikes, was about 11 months old, so I would hope wasn't broke.

Stranger things have happened. Curiously, If a DSG is going to fail it often tends to occur within the first year or so. If they get past the first year they are likely to live forever (with some exceptions).

You could be right about not adapting-how long should it take?!!

I think about 500 miles, but it won't have learnt much about your driving style on a trip up and down the length of the country! I assume it was in top gear nearly all the time. 

The best advice I can give, as usually, is to test it for your self.

My opinion:

I love driving, and I really enjoy being involved in shifting gears therefore I was going to go for manual no question for my order. Just out of sheer curiosity I tried the DSG box in the engine I wanted and that's it I'm simply converted!

Let's be honest it's a massive toy, the DSG; but it works so well! And it really can be fun when you switch it in to "manual mode" anyway. I'm so happy with it and I'm SO GLAD on the decision to chose the DSG. Comfort when you need it, fun when you want it.

As soon as I made my order I came home and dug around on here and other forums to see other peoples opinions. I've seen a pattern of posts among people who've gone for manual and tried the DSG later on and wished they went for it not realising how fantastic and fun it is. I wouldn't want anyone to regret things so try it out!

If you still want that man/women-car experience then just get a Mazda mx5 for £1000 off of eBay. Sorted ;)

• Like 1

I guess DSG is like Marmite, love or hate, no real in between.

I am afraid I am not convinced, adds weight, complexity, potential reliability problems, increases tax, fuel consumption and costs £1000, all for the occasional traffic jam where I admit an auto is less tiring.

Thats my opinion, I can see why others may wish to disagree. It is a personal choice thing. Try it, if you like it buy it, if not don't.

• Like 1

I am afraid I am not convinced, adds weight, complexity, potential reliability problems, increases tax, fuel consumption and costs £1000, all for the occasional traffic jam where I admit an auto is less tiring.

People said the same thing when the horse was phased out in favour of the internal combustion engine! The main advantage with DSG for me is speed. It up shifts in 8 milliseconds, so in the real world it is faster than the manual version of my car.

But you're right, best to try and decide yourself.   

Edited by booke23

People said the same thing when the horse was phased out in favour of the internal combustion engine! The main advantage with DSG for me is speed. It up shifts in 8 milliseconds, so in the real world it is faster than the manual version of my car.

£1000 premium for 8 milliseconds?

I'll take the extra second on my commute thanks :giggle:

Gee up Neddy!

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 1

Ha its turning catty now...

DSG or MANUAL?

There's only one way to settle this.... fight! Lol

A big car warrants an auto box in my opinion, and the DSG is a peach of a box.

Never thought I'd say I prefer an auto but there ya go. In something sporty I would go manual, but the Superb is luxury motoring so its got to be auto

• Like 1