Yeti alternative...

kibby

Similar comments about petrol DSG combinations are appearing on an Ateca forum I follow. Although the 200 UK 'first edition' models appear to have sold OK.

Both Skoda and Seat UK seem to restrict the availability of engine gearbox options far more than the rest of Europe. Interestingly the Skoda news release on sales growth for the last few months, year on year, indicates growth everywhere but the UK is there a clue there?

Similar comments about petrol DSG combinations are appearing on an Ateca forum I follow. Although the 200 UK 'first edition' models appear to have sold OK.

Both Skoda and Seat UK seem to restrict the availability of engine gearbox options far more than the rest of Europe. Interestingly the Skoda news release on sales growth for the last few months, year on year, indicates growth everywhere but the UK is there a clue there?

Skoda is moving away from UK concentration towards those markets providing better growth particularly China and some European countries. Their reluctance to offer a wider range of engine/gearbox combinations in the UK compared to Europe underlines the trend. I would not be surprised to see other VAG brands follow the lead either. 

Skoda is moving away from UK concentration towards those markets providing better growth particularly China and some European countries. Their reluctance to offer a wider range of engine/gearbox combinations in the UK compared to Europe underlines the trend. I would not be surprised to see other VAG brands follow the lead either. 

The VW Tiguan is only available in the UK with diesel engines whereas there are 2 petrol engines in Germany.

If the mayor of London doesn't want more diesels in his city and the city driver logically demands an auto, where do you go?.

To another brand!

Do Skoda CZ not understand that?.

If the mayor of London doesn't want more diesels in his city and the city driver logically demands an auto, where do you go?.

To another brand!

Do Skoda CZ not understand that?.

Apparently not, or its Skoda UK which has its HQ in a new town with big roads, not London with its 4500 sets of traffic lights

Even the French brands have realised you need to sell compact petrol autos in UK.

Edited by SurreyJohn
  • Like 1

As I've mentioned on here before, if you really want a particular VAG model that isn't available here but is in other European countries, it might be worth buying on the continent and importing it. I did that in 1999 with a Volvo V40, saving £7k in price and choosing exactly what extras I wanted without being tied to this pack or that pack.

Now, I know the car market has changed significantly in 17 years and I suspect the savings are no longer that great, if at all but if it means you get what you want it might be worth investigating. The process when I did it was very simple and the car was full UK spec. It does of course mean you would have to sell any car you were intending to PX in advance.

It's going to be interesting to see the outcome both before and after the Brexit vote and what effect it will have on goods trade if there is a 'leave' result.

Other brands are widening their small capacity turbo availability and this can only continue with the cost of diesel emission control  system spiralling and the Transport Minister openly stating the taxation on diesels must change to steer people away from the diesel options.

We are a three car family and were all diesel, have been for many years and in a few weeks we will be all petrol.

I'd have happily spent a bit more on a 1.4TSi Yeti DSG if it had been available but Skoda UK limit me to the 1.2.

They must be loosing many sales in the UK.

Lee

We've two petrol and one diesel at present.

When I come to change the Yeti in a couple of years time I'll be looking for a minimum of a 1.4 petrol and hopefully the new 1.5

If that isn't available in the Yeti replacement I'll be looking elsewhere.

Not sure if this is old news but I see that Skoda have replaced the 1.2 engine in the Octavia with the 3 cylinder 1.0 Tsi - increased torque and power with better economy is claimed. So when (or if) will Skoda update the current Yeti? Or will they let it wither over the next 2 years until the new Yeti is launched, I am growing more convinced by the day that Skoda are not planning any further meaningful updates and I, like many others, have put replacement plans "on hold" until the situation is clearer and we have looked at the many alternatives coming to market over the next 12 months. 

I'm in the process of settling the final payment to own mine and have no desire for a new one a shark stage one remapped 1.8tsi with larger discs is something of a keeper in L&k trim is unlikely to be improved on- with my mileage I am looking forward to continuing to enjoy a comfortable, brisk and practical car for some years to come

• Like 3

I'm in the process of settling the final payment to own mine and have no desire for a new one a shark stage one remapped 1.8tsi with larger discs is something of a keeper in L&k trim is unlikely to be improved on- with my mileage I am looking forward to continuing to enjoy a comfortable, brisk and practical car for some years to come

I own the L&K 1.8tsi, so I would be very interested in your MPG 

Driving steadily and watching the instant readout I got just over 40 on a 240 mile round trip at the weekend. half and half dual carriageway and "a" roads. usually near 30mpg. If caned or around town lower. I didn't buy it for, or expect economy

Not sure if this is old news but I see that Skoda have replaced the 1.2 engine in the Octavia with the 3 cylinder 1.0 Tsi - increased torque and power with better economy is claimed. So when (or if) will Skoda update the current Yeti? Or will they let it wither over the next 2 years until the new Yeti is launched, I am growing more convinced by the day that Skoda are not planning any further meaningful updates and I, like many others, have put replacement plans "on hold" until the situation is clearer and we have looked at the many alternatives coming to market over the next 12 months. 

Would be nice if they just upgraded the 1.2 to 130PS and 210Nm. Would solve many folks wishes !

But I imagine it will be a best seller for Toyota. The only downside is the hybrid version is not 4wd and it has the horrible Cvt auto-box. If you want the 4wd version it is powered by a 1.2 petrol engine.

Tony

But I imagine it will be a best seller for Toyota. The only downside is the hybrid version is not 4wd and it has the horrible Cvt auto-box. If you want the 4wd version it is powered by a 1.2 petrol engine.

Tony

Compared to our 1.2 it certainly doesn't set a new standard for either power and certainly not torque .

A lot of people on these forums think the Dacia Duster is not worth considering, but it all depends what you can afford If you are going to change the car every 3 years and not interested in 'image' why waste money

The more you spend the more you loose when you buy new, regarding the Yeti there are some VG used ones out there look on Autotrader,

I never buy new simply because I can't afford it and mainly for the reasons given above, But i wonder if Skoda will wait and see if the Kodiaq crosses the age barriier and Yeti owners will turn to it as it does appear that the yeti appeals to the more 'mature' owner.

infact I have never seen a Yeti on the road when driving with young children in the back and Mum and Dad in the front, they all seem to driven by silver surfers.

So if the yeti is kept as a model by Skoda its shape will need to change to appeal to younger owners, but if you have a growing family you would still consider the Kodiaq because its from what i have read a bigger car which is important when you have youngsters, been there done that!!!!

From what we know of the Yeti so far it is definitely going to be kept in the line up and will have a more modern look i.e. less boxy and follow the corporate look.

As long as the back doesn't slope too much I'll be happy - I don't load the boot too high and if I want to carry more I'll fold the seats or use the trailer.

Edited by VAGCF

Got to say I've seen plenty of Yeti drivers with kids on the school run where I live. I think I'd agree its initial appear was for the older generation but on Saturday, after parking the car at Milton Keynes, a guy asked if he could talk to us about the car. He was probably in his early 30's and after our chat and him sitting and looking at it said he was going to buy three for his small local business.

I wish I was on a %age as already three people I know have bought one after looking at our car, all none Skoda owners, all sceptical about the brand.